View Single Post
Old 04-25-2023, 10:56 AM   #1
QuikSand
lolzcat

The Three Body Problem (novel/series)

Not to be confused with the mathematics condundrum...

I started on the first book, The Three Body Problem, and am sufficiently interested that i thought I'd launch a discussion here, to see if there are takers.

From Goodreads:

Quote:
Set against the backdrop of China's Cultural Revolution, a secret military project sends signals into space to establish contact with aliens. An alien civilization on the brink of destruction captures the signal and plans to invade Earth. Meanwhile, on Earth, different camps start forming, planning to either welcome the superior beings and help them take over a world seen as corrupt, or to fight against the invasion.

I can tell already that it's a complex story, and I know from a bit of advance reading that it poses some difficult questions. So that has me pretty interested.

The cultural difference is a bit off-putting, I confess, as a typical American mind. But if I learn a bit more about Chinese culture and history along the way, that could be a very good thing for me personally.

Anyway, there's a chance that the adaptation coming to Netflix (I think) in the foreseeable future could be "a thing" and I'm down to get ahead of it, either way.

So, I will be reading, and if anyone else either already has or is down to start something sort of in real time... let's do it.

QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote