View Single Post
Old 06-28-2023, 12:01 PM   #432
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
If you said that white people are a problem and non-whites are at risk constantly as a result, you'd be right. It doesn't mean that all white people are actively a threat, but falling into that argument detracts from the real issues.

If you said that black people are a problem, you're racist as shit.

If you said that men are a problem and women are at risk constantly as a result, you'd be right. Hopefully we are all aware that most women we know have been sexually harrassed or worse and that most women we know have to be constantly aware of their surroundings, where men are around them, whether it's safe to walk to their car after dark, how to hold their keys to try to fight back if attacked on the way to their car. I'm not a threat, you're not a threat, but enough men are that it is a PROBLEM.

If you say that women are a problem, you're sexist as shit.

Apply that to Christianity. Your "not all christians" argument detracts from a very real point that an incredible number of Christians are an active threat to those around them.
The not all Christians is because there wasn't any qualifications of any sort made, even after an offer to clarify or restate. If the original statement was "extremist Christians" or "a large number of Evangelicals" etc. that is perfectly acceptable to me. It was the total generalization that I considered wrong.

Let's put it this way - if I said LGBTQ+ are groomers, and you called me out and asked me to clarify, and I restated LGBTQ+ are groomers without any qualifications ... would you not believe I mean to include all/most LGBTQ+?

So when you say it distracts, I agree with you. If you want to talk about a minority subset, then we can have a discussion.

Quote:
If nothing else, Roe V Wade? Women are less safe today than a year ago because of Christianity. That doesn't mean any given Christian is an active threat, but the ones supporting this shit, and the ones saying "not all christians" are a problem.

So yea, you made a perfect point, presumably without realizing it. If you're not aware, there are huge portions of social media where people are sharing their process of unlearning the harm of their christian upbringings from parents who thought they had the best of intentions but scarred their children for life, and that's not getting into actively harmful and cult-like behavior in many, many churches.

If you're not part of the problem, great, congrats. But most of our conservative political landscape in the united states that is actively putting lives at risk is being driven by Christianity. A lot of the fascist movement in America is currently being called "Christian Nationalism" by those living in fear of it.

From the above paragraphs, I'm believe you are in Lathum's camp of all/most Christians are the worst? Is this correct?

Glad to have a discussion about Christianity/Religion as a whole. If you are blaming a minority subset, no issues. If you are blaming the all/most, then I'd like to understand that before proceeding.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote