View Single Post
Old 02-19-2024, 10:04 AM   #23
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I think that fear of losing something overmotivates them.

Daniel Jones is a good example. There was maybe a 5% chance that he'd become a franchise QB after that one good season with Daboll. But I can see the fear the Giants had of letting him walk and then he wins Super Bowls with some other team. That's a Bowie over Jordan level mistake.

So you sign him for way too much money.

The Giants should have let him hit free agency and made him a good but not great offer. And if some other team wanted to surpass it? Then he becomes their problem.

I think this is very true, GMs seem to treat the QB position like they in a vacuum rather than truly supply and demand. Nobody else was going to pay Jones that and if they were going to, then there's one other team in the league you don't have to worry about finding that affordable QB on a rookie deal or elite QB that is a must for competing.

With that being said, there is also something to say for job security. You don't get sacked going 9-7 and a wildcard berth 2 out of 3 years. You get sacked when you let a QB go who leads another team to the playoffs while the one you picked busts, and the <1% chance that Jones turns into Drew Brees on another team doesn't just get you sacked, it makes you a punchline for the next 30 years.
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote