View Single Post
Old 05-20-2024, 03:33 PM   #376
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

[quote=dubb93;3433143]Ultimate team garbage. You spend money (in game currency, you usually can either buy in with real world money or earn it SLOWLY in game) on card packs that give you players to play a mode in whatever game you are playing. You use these cards to build a team. It's usually a combination of current players and legends. You can play with your team online or offline, there are leaderboards, etc.

Apparently, it's up Jon's alley but IMO it's the worst thing that has happened to modern sports videogames. You will learn that EA doesn't care about your Franchise mode at all (hell they accidently deleted them all two years ago and didn't bat an eye.) They care about selling virtual currency. This is the mode that gets updated all year with new cards. Franchise is a complete afterthought.

Quote:
If you play OOTP these modes are more or less the same thing as perfect team.

Except that I'm about to complete the core card collection in Show 24 without (once again, same as last year) ever spending a dime. And since I have zero interest in playing online against a human ever, if that's enough of a goal to satisfy me then no worries about collecting every single 99 card (or whatever the 9 to 12 card meta that takes over all online play happens to be)

The franchise modes are fairly weak, but then again, they have been that way on console for many years. I've already gotten a respectable amount of hours out of the game just by grinding for the cards. Once a more complete (and good) roster file is finally completed, I'll probably give a franchise run a go although by that point NCAA 24 will be out most likely and I'm not sure how much time will be left.

Truth is, I'm not sure what the last thing I played on console for any purpose other than "the grind" (for one thing or another) even was.

Starfield, I guess, but that ended quickly once I realized that NG+ killed it for me. I tried FM on console but interacting with the UI kept me from being able to enjoy it or get into it. That would leave, I guess, the Sim Settlements mod for Fallout4 was the last thing I played cause I wanted to play (rather than grind) ... and that died once it grew beyond the console's capability to handle the size of the ever-expanding mod. Before that? Stellaris, though I never once got past last midgame with it (and all the fun is in the early game anyway). Hell, I dunno, I owned some version of Civ on console at some point, I probably mindlessly played that for "fun" at times I guess.

Ultimately all console sports games end up with what I refer to here in the 'cave as "the NHL problem". Ultimately, I find across all of them the same problem, the point where one difficulty is comically easy and the next one is utterly unbeatable and non-competitive. How many titles in a row did I win on the old NCAA? Or consecutive SBs in Madden? But then again, I've done the same thing on console with OOTP, with EHM, with FHM. And I'm not exactly anybody's GM savant, those are all simply that easy to do it with.

Will talks about the dopamine factor in games now & then. That you have to find that somewhere in the game or else you'll move on. That's what the collecting modes provide for me ... the gameplay itself so is rarely fun or enjoyable or engaging on anything on console.

It's the same reason I've played WWE Supercard on my little tablet for 10 straight years now, it's something to do with some vague reward beyond timewasting.