View Single Post
Old 06-19-2009, 02:11 PM   #416
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Handheld games don't often get the love they deserve from the enthusiast press but Scribblenauts (for DS) won E3 game of the show from IGN, Gamespot, and Gamespy.

It's a puzzle game where you must summon objects in order to help the main character obtain pieces of "starite." You can type in tens of thousands of objects (no adjectives, no profanity, no copyrighted words) to help you meet the goal. Like in one of the simple levels early in the game the piece of starite is in a tree, you can type in ladder and the character will climb up and grab it, or type in lumberjack and one will appear and then go cut the tree down, or you could type in jetpack and fly up to grab it, etc.

Here's one guy's thoughts after playing the game at E3:

Quote:
So listen to this story. I was in the early levels; I didn't quite have an idea of how ridiculously in-depth the database was. I was summoning things like ladders, glasses of water, rayguns, what have you. But I reached a level with zombie robots, and the zombie robots kept killing me. Rayguns didn't work, a torch didn't work, a pickaxe didn't work. In my frustration, I wrote in "Time Machine". And one popped up. What the fuck? A smile dawned on my face. I hopped in, and the option was given to me to either travel to the past or the future. I chose past. When I hopped out, there were fucking dinosaurs walking around. I clicked one, and realized I could RIDE THEM. So I hopped on a fucking DINOSAUR, traveled back to the present, and stomped the shit out of robot zombies. Did you just read that sentence? Did you really? I FUCKING TRAVELED THROUGH TIME AND JUMPED ON A DINOSAUR AND USED IT TO KILL MOTHERFUCKING ROBOT ZOMBIES. This game is unbelievable. Impossible. There's nothing you can't do.

In addition to the puzzles there's also a sandbox mode where you can just see how various things interact with each other.

A few videos:

E3 Trailer
God v. the Kraken
More gameplay from E3 (10:40 into video)

I can't wait for it to come out in September.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote