View Single Post
Old 03-01-2024, 05:37 PM   #122
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
The problem with Fields, I think, is that we've seen enough of him that it becomes harder for teams to see the potential over the reality.

I think that neither Fields nor Trey Lance will ever be a viable starting NFL QB (outside of a possible random lighting-in-a-bottle season). But if I had a third-round pick and I had to trade for one of them, I'd go with Lance just because Fields has so much more tape out there showing what he can't do. I can still fool myself with Lance.

Fields is tricky ecause the Bears are the Bears. There is no team out there that has a worse track record with quarterbacks. I genuinely think Caleb Williams would be smart to say he won't play for Chicago.

So I don't think Fields is "the guy". But I also realize he has had 2 really bad offensive coordinators in 3 years. His #1 receiver one year was Dante Pettis who I don't think is even in the league now. And they have consistently had one of the worst offensive lines in football.

I still think he can be good with the right coach and system. The Bears will never have that. There are definitely flaws in his game, but there are also moments where he's brilliant.

I'd rather take a 1-2 year flyer on him than drafting Bo Nix or Michael Penix. He's a pretty low risk guy to bring in.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote