View Single Post
Old 09-01-2021, 09:03 PM   #16
QuikSand
lolzcat

So, in MUT there are multiple reasons someone might want to buy a particular player card. This is where the marketplace begins to get a little more complex.

1. To use the player. Duh. The player is good, or is otherwise helpful for a team, and the buyer wants to use the card. Obvious. Got it.

now, on to less obvious...

2. To use the card toward a "set" to obtain something of greater value. Very clever innovation in this game. All season long, as they introduce various cards and along with them, special paths to acquire them by completing sets of other cards.

and

3. To quick-sell for training points. In the game, many ways to boost the effectiveness of your cards rely on a secondary currency, Training. The principal way to get it is by selling cards back to the "house" to get a value, connected to the card's overall value. So, we all need training to some degree, and buying cards is a way to get it.

With that as a backdrop... this makes proper valuation of a given card a little bit slippery. We can start with Training... that's simple. An 80-rated player quicksells for 110 training. So, one way of valuing that card is knowing that without anything else in play, it's a way to buy that much training for whatever purpose. Effectively, we should see that as a sort of floor... even if the card is garbage on the field, it's still 110 training and if its price at market is a good one for that much training, then it's a value, even if the player is awful.

Now... easy enough to consider a card as "how good is the player to a team... but keep in mind that every 80-rated card is worth whatever I'd pay for 110 training." Sets make this much more complex.

Quick example. Right now, I have all the 70-something rated players I need. I have all the Browns there are, and I can't make on-field use of duplicates. So, why might I be interested in another copy of 72-rated Grant Delpit, at a 1,200 gold price, which (for context) is far too high to be a good value to quicksell him for training?

Because there's a special set out there. I can take 5x any gold-level players, put them into a set, and receive a special uniform, coach, stadium, or playbook for an NFL team. So, when I wanted to set up a Dolphins theme team (because of course I did) I needed to go and get these collectibles to my team will look like the Dolphins, and will get some theme bonuses along with them.

Now, I can buy these cards in the auction house, at varying prices...or I can complete this set of 5x gold cards and get whichever one I want. And there's the hidden value of my 72 guy... 5 of them and I get a uniform that is selling for, let's say, 8,000 gold. So, given that, the 1200 price now seems pretty nice.

More to build out from here, but the richness of this side of the game is starting to come into view.
QuikSand is online now   Reply With Quote