View Single Post
Old 06-16-2022, 02:50 PM   #202
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Because I live in Florida, I have to clarify whether things are normal or just normal for Florida.

I was listening to one of those morning shock jock sort of shows. The question of the day was "Is It Okay To Gamble on Youth Travel Sports?"

As I listened to the show, the majority of callers said it absolutely goes on and it is a regular thing between parents on the travel baseball circuit. A few callers said they have bet as much as $1000 on U12 and under travel baseball games. I am not a gambler in general. I might make 1-2 bets a year on sports and if I do, the prize is usually something food related or supposedly something embarrassing. Nobody would be seeking me out to bet on these games. I have not seen anything to suggest that people around me are gambling on games that my son has played in but I also acknowledge I would not have any clue what that would look like if they were. While I take the show and the callers with a grain of salt, I do wonder if incidents like this are fueled not just by alcohol (hoo boy the alcohol at youth sporting events is a thing!), but also having some having money riding on the game.

I have seen this is really big with youth Football in Florida, to a disturbing level and it is straight out in the open too.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote