View Single Post
Old 08-28-2023, 10:24 PM   #8
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

With the draft complete, this is where we wipe the slate clean - no more history, no more stats - we pretend we didn't just do an expansion draft and we're just one of the 14 teams in the Universal Baseball Association.

We do need to fill out our roster. As a reminder, here's our allowance on transactions. Check out the first post for more details.

FA - 1 allowed
Trades - 2 allowed

I do think I'd like to hang on to the trades and not swap them for an extra FA acquisition, as we have a few guys who should have some trade value and we need to start getting some talent in to our system.

Oh - one other house rule I'll mention. Our Scouting and Player Dev budget cannot be more than 2x the league baseline. I find it a little too easy to build dominant minor league systems by just maxing out the Player Dev budget, so we'll limit ourselves a bit there.

As far as FA goes, we have about $25M in budget room. There's a SP out there, 27-year-old Dennis Blauser, a 60-rated southpaw that sits 96-98. He also went to high school in Monmouth County, NJ which is where I grew up, so we've gotta try and make him an offer, right?

Digging in though, he wants a ten-year deal, which is not exactly in my plans at the moment.

SP Jeff Bullock is more my speed. He's 36 and looking for a one-year deal worth $1.7M. Financial flexibility is key right now. He's a 50 Pot, so he'll count against our FA add and we'll also need to roll a 5 or higher to make an offer (again, see first post for details on how we can add players).

We sim to Monday and use random.org to roll a number between 2-8. We need a 5, and get a 5, which means we can make an offer to Bullock. Knowing we will have to re-roll and sim ahead a bit to re-offer if he doesn't accept, we bump up our offer to $2M and he signs a week later.

The new allowance:

FA - 0 allowed
Trades - 2 allowed

I'd like to hang on to at least one of the trade allowances for the deadline, just in case we pull out a miracle and are competitive. But I'm curious if we can shop one of the higher priced guys on our roster like SS Max Clark or one of the relievers. We take a look and there's nothing too interesting offered to us, so we move ahead towards spring training as is, outside of grabbing some 40 Pot and under players in FA and the Rule-5 draft who don't cost against our acquisitions to fill out the roster.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote