View Single Post
Old 06-15-2016, 11:32 AM   #414
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Was there back in February and wouldn't have though that this particular lagoon, which fronts the main entrance to Disney and is surrounded by its high-dollar resorts, would have alligators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
Seriously, when I've seen the signs there, I never understood why there was no swimming. Disney gives the impression of a highly controlled atmosphere to enrich the entire experience. I never gave a thought to alligators in the lake being the reason for no swimming. I just thought perhaps since there's no lifeguard present or even the presence of amoebas in freshwater lakes, etc.

Same here. There's a world of difference between a "no swimming" sign and a "no swimming - danger of alligators" sign. That's just common sense. Plenty of beaches have "no swimming" signs because there's no lifeguard on duty. Americans are a bit inured to this because we assume this kind of sign is a ward against litigation, so if you don't do anything stupid you're fine. Non-Americans probably aren't even considering that alligators could be in those lakes.

MBBF's idea of the low wall, combined with signs that say "No Swimming - Alligators" would probably do the trick.

I'll bet good money that the reason the sign doesn't say "Alligators" right now is because it would keep people from those resorts. The potential lost revenue probably outweighs the settlement they're going to make with this family. At least that's the way I'd look at it as an actuary. Of course the lost revenue now....
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote