View Single Post
Old 06-15-2016, 03:25 PM   #424
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Yeah, but in actuality (and I'm not looking to pick a fight here), they were on the beach waiting for the evening fireworks to start. It was probably somewhat dark and they were probably tired from a long day at Disney. Did they see any harm at letting the kiddo play in the water's edge? I wouldn't have.

That's what's so terrible. I could easily have seen this happen to one of my boys, and I'm not a stupid parent.

To put that last comment in perspective, I once bailed on a hike in California with my wife because as we started out on the trail I got spooked because a) mountain lion territory, b) there were no other cars in the parking lot, so no other humans around and c) the think layer of pine needles made everything completely quiet. I am somewhat paranoid to dangers, but having been to Disney recently I completely wouldn't have expected this danger at that specific "beach".

Edit: On that last point, just to underline this, as many of you know, I'm pretty pro-gun control, but if I was to routinely go hiking in parts of the rockies, real backwoods Maine, or Alaska, I would absolutely no have a problem with owning a firearm for protection (although there's a case to be made that spray is better vs. Bears, but that's another argument for another time).

There's no fight here. My only point was that I wouldn't let my kids in that water anyway because it's absolutely nasty and clearly a health hazard, regardless of the alligators.

I can see how they wouldn't see the danger, especially being from Nebraska/Midwest. It should definitely be clearer and I'm sure they'll rectify it going forward. They can't afford not to rectify it.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote