View Single Post
Old 03-27-2022, 09:28 PM   #175
miami_fan
Coordinator

Today's example of the thread title

But first some history..

A paraphrased conversation I had with a parent of one of my son's teammates during rec baseball in 2021:

Quote:

Other Parent: I can't wait to get out of this "Daddy" ball (aka rec baseball). This coach should be playing the best players on the team in order to give the team the best chance at winning.

Me: Well having been a rec coach, I know they try to give all the kids 2-3 innings a game if they can to give the parents their money's worth.

Other Parent: I understand what you are saying but it is not fair to the other kids who are trying to win and end up losing because of kids who are not as good.

Me: Okay.

Fast forward to today.

Conversation with the same parent as we watch the travel ball team both of our sons are on play in this weekend's tournament.

Quote:

Other parent: Of course my son is sitting on the bench. I am going to pull him off this team. My son has played a total of two innings so far this weekend.

(His son tried out and did not make his high school's JV team. The travel ball coach suggested he pick up pitching to add more to his resume for next year. He started and pitched one inning throwing 40+pitches in the first game and then played one inning in the outfield )

Me: Well they try not to play pitchers anywhere else in the field on the day that they pitch unless they have no other choice. In fact both of today's starting pitchers DH'd for one game and played first in the other game yesterday. My son is supposed to pitch the second game if we make it and is just DH'ing again in this game.

Other parent: I understand what you are saying but the coach needs to give everyone equal time to play. I pay a lot of money for the club fees and if he is not going to play more then I will find him another team.

Me: Ok.

That conversation happened in the first inning. His son did end coming of the bench and playing two innings in that game and the last inning as a defensive replacement in the second game of the day. I guess it's all a matter of perspective I guess.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote