View Single Post
Old 12-16-2011, 12:58 PM   #781
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
Two thoughts here. First of all, if the league went to a permanent 4 on 4 format (not just during OT), there would be a lot more open space on the ice and we would probably not see nearly as many injuries, especially to the head. This would also ensure that coaches play their best players (nobody wants their 4th line scrub on the ice in a 4 on 4 situation do they?). Second, fining/suspending the team/coach would do a lot more in deterring future infractions, outside of meaningful discipline to the player (I like your 40/82 game suspension idea above). I would take it a step further and argue that the 1st offense for a head infraction is a 1-year ban, second offense if lifetime ban. A good example of where this should have been implemented is the Todd Bertuzzi incident. I happen to like the guy and I don't think he intended to injure/end Moore's career (FWIW, Moore was a douchebag in his own right, often taking cheap shots at Markus Naslund), but the fact remains that Bertuzzi ended his playing career. That was an instance where it could be argued that an eye-for-an-eye approach would be fitting.

I'll disagree here, even though I know it's not the main point of discussion.

When you do something outside of gameplay, like this or McSorley on Brashear, what else can you argue the intention are?

I cheer for a team that at different points employed Matt Cooke and Ulf Sammuelsson. Those guys are/were dirty, but within gameplay. If anything, they avoid contact after the whistle.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote