View Single Post
Old 12-17-2011, 10:04 AM   #792
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
Don't get me wrong, fighting could be gone from the game tomorrow and I'd probably enjoy the game just as much, if not better. But until ALL the players respect each other enough not to play like idiots then there has to be "real" consequences for those idiots. I'm sorry, but I don't think it's suspensions or fines because the money these guys make still doesn't justify getting a "real" job versus only getting half of a paycheck and only playing half the season when they could be suckers like you and I and working 40 hours a week making peanuts.

What if when a guy was suspended he still counted against a team's cap, or maybe even their roster limit, and they still had to pay his salary (only it went to a players pension fund or charity or something)? How many teams would sign a repeat offender knowing they'd be on the hook for all that if he offends yet again?

I think it is totally possible to find a mix of punishments at both the player and organizational level to keep things mostly in order without the need for institutionalized fighting in the game.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote