View Single Post
Old 01-29-2012, 04:48 PM   #178
RendeR
Coordinator

What you appear to be missing Jim is any comprehension at all of what it takes to return even a medium sped 70-90mph) serve with any actual control or velocity, elt alone 100+mph serves. The reaction time alone SHOULD dissalow you ever seeing the ball, let alone reacting and striking it.

Funny how they do that and do it well at times. I'd say anything over returns of 15-20% off of first serves would be pretty frakking awesome.

I undertood then and I understand now that teh style of play "server and volley" is not to YOUR taste, but you cannot simply write it off as horrible play because you dislike that style. A LArge number if not a majority (sorry i've been out of the USTA system for some time) grow up playing that style because its the easiest to learn and master.

The true greats like Borg, McEnroe, and Federer and Nadal, they got great because they went BEYOND that style, they added more to their game.

If you think every single player in a 128 player field should be playing at THAT level then I'd rather you just stop watching and commenting because your expectations are ridiculous and unreachable.

You bring up an interesting point though. In your playing days you feel you would be approximately a 4.0 player.

On that scale Federer is a 7.0 nadal and the otehr rgeats as well.

The 128th guy? the one that walked in and played a qualifying TOURNAMENT the day before seeding came out? he's probably a 5.0 level player. Maybe a little higher (5.5)

Do you honestly expect THOSE players to play in the same way or at the same levels with the 7.0 super studs? It seems you must because thats all you kept using for comparison. And the idea of those players playing that marathon of a match and managing to NOT lose it for themselves somewhere along the way to that record setting event, is in itself worthy of great appreciation and glorification.

Can you see where I'm coming from now?
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote