View Single Post
Old 04-26-2012, 09:00 PM   #41
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

It's the 35th season of Coach Sue Muldowney's career. It's sort of amazing how time flies when you consider that we were just getting started here not too long ago. But she has single-handedly built the program at Nebraska State. There are whispers that might be ready to "pursue a new challenge" and quietly, the school has begun pinging possibilities for her role, knowing that as she nears 60 she will want to step down, as she's said always that she "never intended to coach forever."

Here's the roster heading into the current season, which I had nothing to do with. I've stopped recruiting for the program ages ago and so their performance over the past two decades or so hasn't had anything to do with my input:

Code:
#2 NEBRASKA STATE PRONGHORNS General Player # Pos Yr Ht Wt Sch Acd Status Hometown -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Kara Owens 35 C Sr 6-4 236 Yes 89 OK Houston, TX Jaylen Swinford 12 SF Jr 5-7 191 Yes 15 OK Clear Lake, WI Emily Humbert 10 C Jr 6-2 243 Yes 91 OK Sanger, TX Anna Kalinin 4 PF Jr 6-5 237 Yes 35 OK Kirov, Russia Jette Deguenther 13 PG Jr 5-7 166 Yes 42 OK Freiberg, Germany Chloe Weese 0 SG So 5-4 166 Yes 31 OK Shoreham, NY Kenzie Wesson 42 SF So 5-11 237 Yes 68 Unhappy Pensacola, FL Addison Baron 44 SG So 6-0 173 Yes 53 OK Washburn, WI Matilda Anderson 5 SG Fr 5-7 183 Yes 20 OK Rockhampton, Australia Elin Vanover 2 PF Fr 6-4 208 Yes 97 OK Godley, TX Abigail McConnell 32 C Fr 6-1 229 Yes 62 OK Littleton, CO Tenley Rayfield 40 SG Fr 5-9 199 Yes 82 OK Edmonton, Canada Masego Jaja 30 PG Fr 5-5 152 Yes 29 OK Yeovilton, UK

Muldowney is 47 wins away from tying Veronica Gower's record of 1108 set in 2016 after she retired from Iowa State. The difference is, Muldowney got all of her wins at the same school. She has the highest win percentage currently of any coach, surpassing the .857 set by former Tennessee coach Macey Kelm back in 1959 where she won 4 titles in 19 years.

Her eight titles and 24 conference titles tops the list and she's coached more all-americans (46) than any other coach by nearly double.

So there's a wonder about what's her motivation to stay around other than chase the wins record and perhaps get to 10 titles.

With that said, we're going to see how the next year goes while also monitoring the upstarts. I can't decide what I want to do next. Whether I ought to follow the progress of the next coach to follow her with the program or move on to some other challenge in this universe.

Whether she'll catch Coach Summitt or not is seemingly inevitable, but given the challenges of doing it how Pat did when she did it, says a lot. Still, building a program into a formidible one is saying a lot too. And when it's all said and done, no coach in the game will have ever done what Sue Muldowney did and with that...we'll need to see if someone can follow HER act and reach the milestones she's set.

Because that might be more impossible than our initial task.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote