View Single Post
Old 05-01-2012, 01:37 AM   #44
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Moving on...

I've been trying to figure out precisely how we'd end Sue Muldowney's career. As of her 36th season, she passed the all-time wins mark. I've been trying to figure out a way to get back to the roots of the story in a sense while focusing on the coach's end and I've come up with a solution.

The twist in our story is now that Sue Muldowney is being forced out by the program that she built from the ground up. School officials are privately wondering whether or not she's losing her touch, despite a streak of NCAA tourney appearances, Top 10 recruiting classes and are wanting to groom her replacement now while the program is stop at a high place rather than waiting for some kind of inevitable decline before pushing the coach out when she's too old to coach.

Coach Muldowney is sure that she does not want to step down or retire, because she feels she still has a lot left to give. So after an impasse, the two parties decide to meet to discuss what they'll do about her future. It's evident that she's probably never going to coach another game with the program. Alums are upset, but are split as they understand that the program needs to move forward.

The school wants Coach Muldowney to move into a VP role with the university, but she's not interested in any ceremonial jobs. She wants to coach plain and simple.

Nebraska State seems to believe that she will not get hired by most schools due to her age and the fact that she can't be afforded. They also don't want her to leave though.

In the end, the decision will be made for Coach Muldowney to leave. Officially, the parties will say it's a retirement. But she will then crop up a few months later taking over a job at another program. The rules are that it needs to be a program with a prestige at 70 or lower.

I haven't decided whether she'll just coach the last two years of her career and stop at 58 or if she'll coach for longer and establish a new legacy elsewhere. The story arc now turns to this idea that the John Wooden of women's hoops has moved on. The questions will abound whether she can duplicate her success elsewhere, with no help from me or anything like that. It'll be straight up a coaching job of an unprecedented scope.

Naturally I have no idea where she'll go or anything yet, but...stay tuned!
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote