View Single Post
Old 05-21-2017, 09:05 PM   #153
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Mayoral elections

One of the wrinkles I'm adding to impact the way I grow the city (or not) is through mayor elections. They'll be randomized , so it's not like I can influence the election really. But we'll have different candidates who'll advocate for different things and based on how they do in the primary, we'll do a runoff election of the top two candidates. Because it'll be a lot of chaos, in theory, you could have fringe candidates mucking things up.

While the Mayor influences policy, the "City Manager" is the non-politican we get to play in our story and who'll actually carry out the policy prescriptions related to higher/lower taxes, growth in certain areas and so forth. There will be council members who voice concerns for their particular areas too, but I haven't decided how that'll impact anything.

Really, I just want to be more deliberate about how we grow this time. Growth is already happening around the city and of course, there will be suburbs that sprout up outside of the city limits too and might eventually factor into the story, but...I'd just be intrigued to see how it changes the direction of what we do and how we do it around the city.

Here are the current political parties in the city:
Advanced Civic League (Right-Wing party. Favors lower taxes for businesses, increasing policing in neighborhoods and limiting growth to the suburbs rather than in the core city.)

Compromise Movement (Centrist. Pro-growth, moderate on policies like drug decriminalization, NIMBY and spending on infrastructure.)

Citizens Alliance (Left of center. NIMBY. Pro-education spending. Hard on crime. Likes Parks.)

The Nature League (Left-wing. Wants fewer roads and more mass transit options. NIMBY. Wants more dense housing options to bring down rents and fewer single-family homes in the city limits.)

Contemporary Party The Contemporary Party are the incumbent party in office and have led the city for the past 26 years. Mayor Amos Marcotte is retiring after turning a sleepy city into a booming metropolis and now the race to replace him is huge. TCP are a left-wing party that favor heavy spending on local social welfare, moderate taxation and investing in growth.

Rural Peoples Party RPP are a small, fringe party mostly concerned with agrarian concerns. They're against annexation of small cities outside of the city limits, want rules enforced on single-family development and typically oppose multi-family dwellings, mass transit or anything that would disrupt the "character of rural life."

Progress League This left-wing splinter is full of Contemporary party exiles (and others) who felt their party was too in bed with corporate interests. Progress favors more local schools in neighborhoods, expanding transit access around the city, bike lanes and stabilizing tax rates. They're also adamant about removing industry from the core parts of the city in favor of more housing, a big wedge issue between the two parties.

Here are the primary candidates for each party in the '21 election:

Cory Bates (ACL)
Harvey Franco (COM)
Sophia Flynn (CIT)
Wendy Sargent (NAT)
Aurinda Sinclair (CNT)
Georgine Gibson (RUR)
Keven Turcotte (PROG)

The top two candidates advance to a runoff.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote