Thread: Gay Marriage
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 05:25 PM   #251
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrew View Post
Rather, it is YOU who want to force me to live by your ethics. 1st, I do believe homosexuality advocates are trying to use the power of government to compel Americans to accept homosexuality as ethical. But even if that were not true:

Actually it's not. I'm not asking you to become a homosexual, I'm not asking you to accept homosexuality, I'm not asking you to even acknowledge them in public. Your ethics are in no way being compromised at all. You can go to Church every Sunday thinking homosexuality is a sin and not participating in it.

Just because something is legal doesn't mean that everyone in the country has to accept it as ethical. I find adultery unethical but don't feel it needs to be made illegal. I don't feel that the country allowing people to cheat on their spouses is compelling me to accept that ethical position. I worry about my own relationships, not everyone else's.

Quote:
You want me to fund tax benefits and all kinds of other government privileges for the support of homosexual relationships. Right now, I do not. But under your preferred law, I would. And why? Why would I do this? Because you can show its a benefit to society and an institution worth protecting? No, but because YOUR ethics and sense of fairness dictate it.

Again, allowing someone to do something doesn't indicate support. The government I'm sure doesn't support the KKK getting up and vilifying blacks and Jews. But they are still given the same right to free speech as the person who uses their speech to express love and kindness. You don't have to ethically support two members of the same-sex getting married just as you don't have to support a member of the KKK spewing hate.

As for tax benefits, like you said, that's another matter all together. Whether government should be giving these benefits to married couples. It really shouldn't have anything to do with your sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, gender, eye color, and so on. I feel if you are giving a right to something out, it should be not discriminate.

Quote:
Government, as I said before, is run by ethics. All laws are ethics. It's just a matter of whose ethics. And yes, I prefer mine to yours.

I agree with this. The difference is that I don't feel like my ethics should impede the lifestyle choices of other consenting adults that have no effect on me. You feel it important that you control the lives of others. I on the other hand am perfectly happy living my own life.

Last edited by RainMaker : 01-28-2013 at 05:26 PM.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote