View Single Post
Old 05-09-2012, 04:19 PM   #101
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
First of all, that savings just from those 6 sports. Knock off another 10 sports and how much does that save? The women's basketball program alone loses something like $3MM a year.

But again, the "deficit" figure from last year includes something like $8MM in principal and interest on bond payments for what is, and will continue to be, an asset of the university. The football program doesn't get the benefit of that "credited" back once its paid off free and clear.

If the school decided to cut everything but football and women's soccer, the athletic department would be profitable by all accounts.

A football stadium is almost certainly going to cost more in upkeep than it will generate in non-football income. The benefit from the increased stadium, in other words, will go to the athletic department. A stadium also isn't something they can sell later for a profit. Who wants a stadium on a college campus other than the college?

Like I said earlier, I don't care how a school gets to a balanced budget, but I can't understand why someone with Christie's supposed priorities is willing to shovel so much public money to one school's athletic program.