View Single Post
Old 07-03-2017, 09:57 PM   #295
law90026
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
IT & Horford are approaching their downside, which is why I was fine with drafting Fultz & moving on from IT next summer if Fultz lived up to the hype. But those other assets don't just dry up, they turn into real players. Maybe Jaylen Brown (or Ante Zizic) is as good as I think & improves his perceived value. Maybe Jayson Tatum is as good as Ainge thinks. Maybe the Nets pick miraculously turns into the #1 again, just like last year where I would've put the odds on that around 10% before the season started. The rotation players like Bradley, Smart, Crowder will stop being underpaid soon, but they're still good players, and after years of a low salary table the Celtics owners will have no problem paying the luxury tax if necessary.

That was the real media concern. Then GS won 13 in a row & Steph Curry kind of regained the swagger he'd been missing when they were working hard to integrate KD. (And to KD's credit he was able to make a seamless transition back in.) An injury to Steph or KD would make the Warriors beatable, but they'd still be the favorites.

The issue is that this ideal window, which may never come again is going to fade away shortly. This was THE window to try and load up. Breaking the luxury tax for Bradley, Smart and Crowder seems to be a terrible idea considering they're not going to push Boston over the top.

There's really no guarantee as well that the picks they have pan out because it's a bet that (i) they are going to be high picks (and with the East being so devastated, who knows how well the Nets do next year) and (ii) the Celtics are able to pick the right players.

And for the Warriors thing, it again boils down to the idea that teams should just give up. Of course they're favourites but if everyone just kinda goes "meh", it just enshrines them as champions.

Ultimately what's disappointing is the feeling that Boston could have really gone for it this time around and built a 4 All-star team as well but now that chance seems to be gone based on how things have panned out.
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote