View Single Post
Old 04-04-2014, 11:28 AM   #831
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
I was fatigued with Ted/Robin stuff yes, but seeing where it went only makes that worse. It seemed to me, and apparently to many people, that beating us over the head with repeated Ted/Robin stories was to make sure that 100% of the viewers realized that Ted/Robin were AWFUL. That they were toxic, that any ideas we may have had in season 1 about them getting together should be completely long gone. That they were doing this so that we wouldn't compare the mother to Robin, so that we'd have a chance to like the mother and the ending instead of just comparing her to Robin.

They did a wonderful job with that. They made me 100% convinced that Ted/Robin being together is the stupidest thing that could possibly happen, that Ted/Robin even being friends was toxic for them, and for the group, for Ted and Barney's friendship. Ted and Robin have been shown to be so utterly bad for each other that there is no possible way to accept the idea of them being together.

I thought all along that was the intent of the writers. They succeeded at that, supremely well. Which made the ending baffling and stupid and awful and generated the type of anger we're all seeing now.

You do realize that a good portion of the Finale was about show that people grow up and change in various different ways (see: Barney). Ted and Robin the late 2000s doesn't work. They are very different at that point in time. And that is one of the reasons Robin & Barney didn't work - Robin was too focused on being a success in her career to be a success in her relationship.

In 2030, they've grown a LOT. Ted is much more calm about romance. Much less stressed out - I mean the guy who was so pining for a perfect wedding was so content with his fiance and kids that he waited 7 years before getting married on a random Thursday (her schedule showed Tracy was free). Robin also changed and grew as well. In 2030, maybe Ted and Robin are far better for each other. But 25 years earlier they weren't.