Thread: Gay Marriage
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 11:14 AM   #31
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
You see, this is where I think we need to be mroe clear. The government shouldn't have anything to do with recognizing your church's marriages, either hetero or homo. That's between the couple, your congregation, your fatih leaders and God.

The government ideally won't be recognizing anything done in a church, regardless of the gender or sexual orientation of the married couple. They will only "recognize" two people submitting paperwork for a legal contract under the codes for marriage. How far we go with that--a signed contract, a separate, simple civil service before a judge, whatever--is up to the government.

I'm pretty sure it already works like this. If you get married in a religious ceremony without first getting a marriage license, that marriage isn't recognized by the state. That isn't absolute, but unless you've gone the common law route it is difficult. Once you get a marriage license, the state doesn't care if you have a religious ceremony or not.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote