View Single Post
Old 07-19-2013, 06:35 PM   #304
Suicane75
Coordinator

1975 Season

April- We went 19-8 in April and hold a 1 game lead on the Cardinals. Matthews is getting on base at a .461 clip. Javier and McCarver are struggling. Mike Krukow is really having trouble, his ERA is 6.55.

May- May didn't go so great. We're 34-22 tied with the Mets and just a half game up on the Cardinals. Our hitting has cooled off immensely. Hebner at .328 is the only regular hitting over .300. The pitching has been quite good though. I'm not overly worried right now as the top of our order had a super shitty month that I don't expect to repeat.

Tim McCarver will miss a month with a bad back and Julian Javier is really struggling. It might not be long before we see our 2nd Baseman of the future in Bill Almon.

June- We had a good June until the last week when the Mets, on a 12 game win streak, overtook us for first. We're 52-31, 2 games back. I forsee another down to the wire race with the Mets.

Julian Javier broke his foot in the middle of the month and we waste no time in calling up Bill Almon to take over shortstop, probably for good. That doesn't last long as Almon breaks his collarbone within a week of coming up. We have another good prospect in Jorge Orta who can play SS & 2B, he'll come up and take over at 2B.

In the draft, Dave Stewart went first to Houston. The Rangers took Tom Henke 2nd. Brett Butler went 4th to Milwaukee and Lou Whitaker went 7th to the Padres.

July- Welp, Jim Rice broke his leg in early July, he's out about 3 months. That's a crushing blow. Luzinski takes over LF vs righties and Piniella takes over LF vs lefties. I'm very tempted to call up top prospect Horace Speed but I'm gonna give the veterans 1st crack at it.

We end the month 68-41 and 3 games back of the Mets. Our pitching has been very good but none of our pitchers have been ace like. Our pen is really good.

August- On August 27th we're 83-48 and tied with the Mets for 1st place. We also lose Richie Hebner for a month with a broken finger. Grrrr. We're going to make some changes. Bill Almon will shift to 3B, Javier will take back over at 2B and Rod Carew is going to the bench so the Luzinski can play 1B full time and we can call up and play RF Horace Speed. The power on this kid isn't here yet but the rest of his game is, I hope he can handle it. He'll play RF and lead off and Matthews will move to the 3 hole.

Our lineup looks nothing like I imagined it would but we've got to put our best team out there and try and win the pennant.

September- We put together a 7 game win streak on September 10th we're 92-52 and have 1.5 game lead on the Mets. We lost SS Ed Brinkman for a couple of weeks but he wasn't playing that great anyway, Campaneris will hold it down till he gets back.

On September 20th we're 97-56 and tied with the Mets.

The Mets lose 4 in a row and heading into the last weekend of the season we're 102-57 and have a 3 game lead. We win the 1st game of our final series of the season against the Braves to clinch the division. That felt good.

We finish the season 104-58 to win the division by 3 games. Ironically, we lost on the final day of the season to the Braves and that clinched the West for them as they beat the Giants by a game in their own heated rivalry for the West title. The Braves finished 92-70.

The Yankees and White Sox will renew their rivalry in the AL as both teams won their divisions going away, the 99-63 Yankees by 16 games over Boston and the 109-53 White Sox by 20 games over the Angels and Twins.

For the first time maybe forever, we have nobody on the offensive leader boards.

Lafayette with a 2.93 ERA is 3rd in baseball and Raich with a 2.94 is 4th. Jenkins 201 Strikeouts is 9th. This is clearly a team built on pitching and small ball at the moment.

We only lost $75K this year so that's a bright spot.

Bad news as Currence Lafayette broke his ankle and will miss the postseason, he and Raich were going to go 1-2 in the LCS, super bleh. On the bright side, Richie Hebner will return for the playoffs. Bill Almon will shift back to 2B and Javier will go to the bench.

We're gonna go with Jenkins, John & Raich for the first 3 games of the NLCS and then take it from there.

Our lineup is a bit of a mish mash but Bumbry, Almon, Matthews, Hebner, Luzinski, McCarver, Speed, Brinkman is how we'll go.

We get very good news when we learn that because of a blister, Nolan Ryan will miss the NLCS. I can live without facing him.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote