View Single Post
Old 04-29-2012, 04:10 PM   #17
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I would be lying to say my heart wasn't in my throat. My hands are sweating, I am nervous as all get out and I am only hoping to survive the day and make the cut. I went back and looked and some history, this course tends to chew up and spit out amateur contenders in small pieces.

I notice it is a windy day and it is swirling all over, I am not the best in the wind.

Round 1

Hole 1 Tea Olive - Par 4 - A 236 yard drive sees about 209 to the hole. I ratchet off a 202 yard shot landing me about 7 yards from the pin. I miss the 14 ft putt by about 2 feet. I tap it in for par. I am tied for 17th and even.

Hole 2 Pink Dogwood - Par 5 - I launch a 283 yard drive off the tee. It lands and I am about 285 yards from pin. I shoot it 238 yards and I am now 60 away. I hit it 64 yards and land on the green at 8 yards from the hole. The 24 foot birdie putt I miss by 4 feet. I tap it in for Par. I am now tied for 19th and I am even.

Hole 3 Flowering Peach - Par 4 - 262 yards off the tee leaves me about 95 yards from the hole. An 80 yard wedge sees me land about 15 yards from the pin, but I am on the green. I miss the 46 ft put and tap it in for Par. I am still tied for 19th and even. I am only down by 2 strokes and I am feeling good about myself.

Hole 4 Flowering Crab Apple
- Par 3 - A long par 3 sees me drive 223 yards off the tee and into the bunker. I am 22 yards from the pin. I dig it out and land about 6 feet from the pin. I putt, should be a sure thing but nerves got the best of me and I miss by inches. I tap in for Bogey. I am now tied for 33rd and at a +1.

Hole 5 Magnolia - Par 4 - I hit it 252 yards off the tee and I am left with 185 yards to the hole. I then send the shot 180 yards and it rolls to the stop just over 2 yards to the hole. I miss the putt, sending it long and tap it in for par. I am still tied for 33rd and at a +1

Hole 6 Juniper - Par 3 - I am not as lucky this time around as I was in the challenge. I hit the shot from tee 194 yards and I am left in the rough 12 yards out. I then chip and it bounces and rolls towards the pin. It has some speed as it was going straight into the cup but it hits the pin and bounce out landing about 9 inches from the hole. I tap it in for par. I move up one spot, tied for 32nd and sitting at a +1, I am only 3 strokes away.

Hole 7 Pampas
- Par 4 - I drive it 252 yards leaving about 200 yards to the flag. I then hit a shot 183 yards, I am only 20 yards away from the pin. I chip it 23 yards and land it on the green 4 yds from the hole. I miss the 12 ft putt for par, and then hit it short and off to the left. I tap it in for double bogey. All I can hear is Bubba's words telling me this course will eat me alive. I drop to 66th and I am tied in that spot with a +3.

Hole 8 Yellow Jasmine - Par 5 - I drive it 260 yards from the box and I am left with 285 yards to the green. I hit it 218 yards with only 67 to go. I shank my shot short at 52 yards out, leaving 15 yards to the hole. I chip the birdie shot up about 9 yards and it rolls to a stop about 6 yards from the hole. I sink the 17 ft putt for par. I am still tied for 66th and I am at a +3

Hole 9 Carolina Cherry
- Par 4 - I hit the ball a solid 194 yards but it bounces into the rough on the edge of the fairway. I have about 286 yards to the green. I hit it 190 yards leaving me with roughly 72 to the hole. I then over shoot it 56 yards leaving me with 15 yards to the hole. I put it up on the green 9 yards from the hole and 2 putt it to finish with a double bogey. I drop to a tie at the 83rd spot and a +5

Hole 10 Camelia - Par 4 - My farthest drive of the day so far catches the wind and a slope and goes 308 yards. I follow it up with a 172 yards to the green, landing about 10 yards from the cup. I then sink a 30 ft putt for birdie. The crowd erupts and it is deafening. I save a little face heading into Amen corner. I am now tied for 74th with a +4.

For those who do not know, the second shot at the 11th, all of the 12th, and the tee shot at the 13th hole at Augusta are nicknamed "Amen Corner". A lot of amazing Masters moments have taken place on this corner.

Hole 11 White Dogwood - Par 4 - I drive off the tee at 220 yards. I send my second shot as I hit amen corner 175 yards. My third I follow up with 113 yards and landing 3 ft away from the hole. I tap it in for par. I am still tied at 74 and at a +4

Hole 12 Golden Bell
- Par 3 - 137 yards off the tee right into a bunker. I dig myself out landing the shot 3 feet from the cup, the crowd roars with approval on the save. I then tap it home for par. I am tied at 74th with a +4.

Hole 13 Azalea - Par 5 - I drive it of the tee, it hits a tree on the left side and drops straight down into the water. Sigh, this course is killing me. I drive it 172 yards, then follow that up with a 165 yards. I miss the 46 ft putt and follow that up missing a 4 ft putt. I tap in for Double Bogey. I am now tied at 89 and I have a +6. I was hoping to escape the corner unscathed and I didn't.

Hole 14 Chinese Fir - Par 4 - 241 yards off the tee. I then hit it 193 yards. My 42 ft putt was on it's way and I thought I had it in, but it pulls up short. I tap it in for par. I am still tied at 89th and a +6.

Hole 15 Firethorn - Par 5 - My drive goes 278 yards. It is followed up by 204 yards. My third shot is 55 yards and rolls to a stop 2 yards from the cup. I sink the 6 ft putt for birdie and the crowd erupts. I am now tied for 83rd and I am at a +5.

Hole 16 Redbud - Par 3 - 159 yards off the tee sees me on the green about 6 yards out. I hit a solid put and it kisses the lip of the cup and spins a bit. I am 10 inches from the cup. I tap it in for par. I could have used that birdie putt. I am still tied for 83rd and at a +5.

Hole 17 Nandina - Par 4 - A 243 yard drive sees me about 197 yards out. I follow that up with a 172 yard shot into the bunker. I dig out of the bunker landing about 3 yards from the pin. I then sink the 9 ft putt for par. Still tied at 83rd with a +5.

Hole 18 Holly - Par 4 - I line up from the tee box, take a deep breath and drill the shot. It goes 256 yards out. My second shot is a 177 yards right towards the green. My third shot I wedge it up on the green landing it about 6 feet away from the cup and I tap it in for par. I finish the round tied at 83 and with a +5

Augusta National chewed me up pretty hard. I am sitting in the back of the back and I need solid play the next day to make the cut. The wind is all over, my caddie has not been much help and I am not able to control my shots as well as I have been. I am truly hoping tomorrow is a better round.

Last edited by MacroGuru : 04-29-2012 at 04:34 PM.
MacroGuru is offline   Reply With Quote