View Single Post
Old 12-15-2011, 12:17 PM   #752
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
I definitely think equipment has a lot to do with things...harder and lighter that essentially turns players in to well protected missiles. Without fear of injuring yourself then there is no fear when it comes to making contact with somebody else.

But, along with that is the speed that everybody is flying at when these collisions take place. Whether it be at center ice or along the glass (which is intentionally "soft" so hitting it is not painful at all...like it used to be when there was no flex what so ever) brain matter is getting jumbled that much quicker because of the speed of the game. Same goes for football, actually.

Now, are concussions really "up" nowadays or is the league (and the medical community) paying more attention to them? I find it hard to believe that suddenly it's an issue when a few years ago it wasn't. The game hasn't changed in 5 years...heck, a lot of these suspendable hits we're talking about today weren't even looked at twice five years ago.

So I'm guessing the problem has been there for quite some time but was swept under the rug. If you can skate and want to be out there, then get out there is what most players would say happens after getting their bell rung. I know I got my bell rung plenty of times and maybe I sat for a shift or two but the only time I didn't finish a game or practice was when I busted my wrist...and even then the coach asked if I could still play or if I needed my "daddy" to take me to the hospital.

Times have changed...and probably for the better. Sure, to most of us who grew up being told to "walk it off" or "suck it up" the research is telling us that doing just that could put your life in jeopardy in the future. Had we known that stuff 20, 30, etc...years ago, would we have walked it off and gone back out there? Would they have let us?

Oh I totally agree, diagnosis and attention are probably the biggest reason that this has become a sudden epidemic. That said, we aren't going to just stick our heads back in the sand, so we need to look at ways to fix it.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote