View Single Post
Old 04-26-2012, 12:30 PM   #5
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

weegeebored - you read it correctly. From googling, it seems to be something that may not be common but isn't highly irregular either. (Saturday night was the first time I'd ever seen/heard of it though)

peregrine - only three usb devices: a printer I've had for ages, the same wireless network adapter I've used for at least a year, and an external drive that doesn't even work but was still plugged in apparently (I just disconnected it during this post) edit to add. I left out my mouse when replying originally.

The whole unplug-all-USB-devices bit was the lifesaver on Saturday, darned if I can find the support discussion where I got the idea from though. In that thread, maybe a year or so old, after all sorts of discussion about replacing powers supplies, motherboards, etc & so on, I saw someone mention the USB thing. A couple of people there had success with it, figured it was worth a try (since I certainly wasn't going to be doing any of the other things myself & doubly not pushing midnight on Sat) ... sure enough it worked.

Thing is, I don't recall any explanation about [i]why[/] that worked, just that it did. Last night's issue seemed more like a failure to boot properly than the incident on Saturday, it was more specific to just a video signal failure. I can't swear the two things are even connected, but it sure seems as though they would be.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 04-26-2012 at 12:55 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote