View Single Post
Old 03-09-2003, 02:59 AM   #11
sabotai
General Manager

"As for the Jones vs. Ruis replay, I keep asking myself is roy just that good or does he keep fighting B list boxers? I don't know. I love watching Roy fight but I wish we could see him in a war, the kind of fight that elevates a box to legendary status. "

I think think this is why Jones will not be remembered like other champions have been. He hasn't had a fight that put a mark on his career. No one that he fought to the limit and came out on top.

Just watching the HBO Legendary Nights show (something like that...) on the Leonard-Hearns fight confirmed to me that fighters are not remembered by how great they are, they are remembered by how great their opponents were. And in the case of Jones, the answer is "not very". He hasn't fought a great opponent. I'm not saying he's avoided anyone. I'm not a big enough expert on Jones to say if he's done that. I'm just saying, he's fought no great battles. Maybe there aren't any there for him to fight...

Leonard and Hearns are remembered and highly regarded because of the battle they fought, and the battles they fought against other boxers.

(Hagler-Hearns is the best 3 rounds of boxing you will ever see.)

Last edited by sabotai : 03-09-2003 at 03:00 AM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote