View Single Post
Old 10-13-2015, 10:51 AM   #217
Arles
Grey Dog Software

In order to enjoy Simmons, you have to get past the New England homer-ism. I've been able to do that, so I enjoy most of his stuff now. I like their sports coverage and enjoy reading/listening to Mays, Barnwell, Lowe and Jonah. I've also enjoyed Greenwald and Ryan on TV/pop culture. I think their problem is they tried to do too much with established people. Bringing in guys like Wesley Morris (who I enjoy), Connelly, Klosterman (also enjoy), Alex Pappademas and a few other well established guys who ended up being 3rd/4th in the pecking order for their area seemed a little wasteful. Bring in a few stars (Greenwald, Simmons, Jonah Keri, Jalen Rose) to give credibility - but then fill the rest in with young, somewhat unestablished talent like Rembert, Barnwell, Lowe, and Mays to do the heaving lifting. They signed too many high-priced guys to come off the bench and gave everyone the site too much of a budget (while not fully marketing it).

It's a shame this site will probably end up failing over the next two years given the quality it provided at its apex. Hopefully Simmons can restart it with a better vision and somewhat leaner staff/budget.