View Single Post
Old 07-20-2008, 12:24 AM   #295
Calis
College Starter

Spoilers from both cards below, so if you haven't seen one or the other skip it.

Pretty impressive performances from both main event stars tonight. I love watching Fedor. I love that he made a definitive statement in this fight, because there is a lot of talk about him being overrated and rightly so at this point because of his recent competition. Sylvia is of course a guy on the decline and on a losing streak, but he still completely dismantled him in a fashion that Couture wasn't able to, and Nog as well, but Fedor doesn't have to prove anything against Nog. The guy is just a machine, and I was hoping he'd be able to rough Tim up standing like that to just make it look a little more impressive. I get a kick out of on the replay how upon winning he has absolutely no change in expression. Really comes across as one of the classiest individuals in sports.I'm beginning to lean more towards him having very little trouble with Couture if they do fight, especially if he gets another fight in before then against a guy like Barnett or Arlovski.

The Affliction card overall wasn't bad. It wasn't great, and the Megadeath performance was terrible, but I enjoyed the main event, and Arlovski looked very impressive. I'm a Josh Barnett fan also, and I'd love to see them set a match between Fedor and him next..he'd lose, but I think it's the best available match-up out there, unless they try to set up something like signing Tito and moving him to heavyweight, or bringing in a guy from Dream or something if that's possible.

That ring seemed HUGE, and the refs really didn't seem to have a clue about moving the fights to the center and how to deal with some of those situations.

Decent but not great. I would buy another card by them though, depending on the match-ups.

We recorded the UFC and went through it at a much quicker clip. It was mediocre as well. Silva is always fun to watch, Vera managed to look good and terrible at the same time in big way. I don't think it's just from cutting the weight, guy has not looked right for a while now. You could tell he'd demolish the guy if he ever got going, but didn't really have that drive.

Overall I was a little disappointed with the night for as much potential as it had.

We still have the finals for the Dream Lightweight tournament that will take place I think on Monday in Japan, and that one has some potentially great fights. Very excited to see Mark Hunt fight again, and I always love seeing Aoki fight. The Alvarez/Kawajiri fight should be a very exciting fight as well.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote