View Single Post
Old 05-01-2012, 05:50 PM   #1366
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I think everyone knows that Roy is tactically astute. It is that man management part that might concern England fans. All I heard from the pundits is someone needs to come in and put their arms around the players. Roy does not strike me as that sort of guy. Now maybe, just maybe it was just about the fact that English is his first language and the players will respond to him.

My take on it is that Roy is the 'safe choice' - he'll do a competant job and make England efficient and hard to beat, probably go out in the semi's .... most likely on Penalties to Germany

It troubles me however that the FA opted for him rather than a more ambitious long term manager who I think would be more inclined to give youth a chance and the team a chance to blossom in the long term rather than grind for a 'successful' (but ultimately non-winning) tournament.

(just my take - I'm sure lots of people disagree with me on this, however I see what Germany have been doing and think that a similar approach would be far better long term for England rather than continuing to rely upon our present stars many of whom are unlikely to be around come the next World Cup ... time will tell, hopefully Hodgson will surprise me and bring through several of our younger players)
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote