View Single Post
Old 12-15-2011, 12:13 PM   #751
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
I dunno, Claude Lemieux was never the same after getting his ass kicked up and down by McCarty after the cheap shot he took on Draper.

I don't know how to dispute that although I don't recall him ever changing myself. That said, you're telling me a half-season suspension couldn't have accomplished the same thing?

I just don't see why people feel that fighting is somehow this be-all/end-all of deterrents. Shouldn't vigilante justice apply to the rest of life if this is so effective? Why has society said that the deterrent for assaulting someone on the street is jail time, but the deterrent for assaulting someone on the ice rink is a retaliatory assault?

The bottom line is you can change human behavior in many ways. Does beating someone up work sometimes? Sure. But there are other methods, and I don't get why hockey can't grow up and use them. Especially when the argument seems to always be "well it worked great 40 years ago!". Well guess what, it's not 1970 anymore, get out of the past.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote