View Single Post
Old 08-02-2017, 01:34 AM   #7097
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
You just don't see the same level of scrutiny of booking decisions and wins and losses in New Japan or any indy show, where fans are much more willing to go with the flow.

You're obviously not sitting here in the batcave with me & the kid. We've pretty much picked apart -- pro AND con -- every outcome thus far. We parse not only wins & losses but also who gets/takes the pin in the tag matches, just to see if there's anything meaningful there. We've also made several TEW references ("so-and-so doesn't click with so-and-so" being the primary) on occasion, and criticized the seeming lack of anything being called in ring even when the situation probably called for it. But at this point that's how we watch pretty much any wrestling, so long as the quality in-ring isn't so low that it makes the booking a secondary consideration.

G1, however, is also an animal that doesn't exist in the WWE universe, though they could do a helluva entertaining version of it if they chose to.
(Q: Does the format exist in any other promotion? I'm thinking no but maybe I'm missing something somewhere)

It requires a completely different mindset to viewing I think, watching it with the expectation of 1-2 losses for everybody regardless of who they are. It's more like ... baseball in that regard, at least taking the tournament in isolation.

--------

On a sidenote of sorts, just to avoid a dola here, I thought it was pretty telling tonight when the kid got home from a day out & about & immediately started the on-demand of the latest G1 day without bothering to turn on Smackdown ... despite the fact that he knew who the main event was. Probably even more telling that I didn't have the foggiest idea what the main was, nor did I give the show a second thought until he mentioned the outcome & I watched the clip of the Cena bump. And I'd have expected that to be a good match ... problem is that, at this point, I don't really care about it except in isolation.

THAT is how little faith I have in WWE's ability to book anything remotely properly. THAT is what having Jinder f'n Mihal as a "champion" has done for me.. THAT is what having a barely part-time wrestler as a champion has done for me. THAT is what years of fan abuse at the hands of VKM has done to me. They couldn't properly book a fucking flight except by accident, and that has eliminated my ability to engage with the product outside of specific matches. They have a considerable amount of talent at their disposal, guys who can flat out go ... they've just consistently refused to do enough with them for me to really give a shit at this point, on the odd occasion they get something relatively right I know they'll not only inevitably fuck it up but that they'll do so as quickly as possible.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 08-02-2017 at 01:35 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote