View Single Post
Old 01-13-2012, 10:41 AM   #37
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoelessJ03 View Post
My personal opinion is that these legacy players should indeed count against the salary cap. Especially so if they are going to be impact type players.

Maybe they could have reduced contracts or something to that effect but getting a free star player defeats the purpose of having a salary cap.

I don't want to have to deal with the accounting. The purpose of these players is to give each team a "signpost" player that might increase immersion. With team name changes, owner swaps and the natural up and down that leagues have, sometimes it can be hard to keep consistency with all of that. Having a player who is "always" around for a decade or so, is a nice way to return to a bygone era when players stayed with one team.

So you can imagine that these guys DO have max contracts, but account for them and trying to subtract them from the salary cap is more work than it's worth. So it's not that they "don't" have a salary, it's that the salary they have isn't relevant for our cap purposes. So we could say that their salary is equal to 95% of the top three players in the league at the time of their signing, but...again, I don't want to have to spend time subtracting that from each person's cap, because it's more work than it's worth just to say "they have a value."

And it's only one. There won't be any additions to this or anything like that. It was just meant to be fun and since everyone gets one, it doesn't negate competition and it's not basketball so one guy isn't going to change the game that much.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote