View Single Post
Old 04-25-2012, 11:51 AM   #5
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flounder View Post
I never understood the raw milk thing either. My sister-in-law's uncle was pushing her to feed her newborn raw milk. Fortunately, she told him no.

I don't care how much better it tastes, I'm not giving up the benefits of pasteurization.

Feeding a newborn raw milk borders on insanity if you ask me. Healthy adults drinking it is one thing. Their immune systems are better able to handle potential pathogens. And it's not as if knowing the farm you get it from will help. Things like listeria can crop up anywhere, anytime. And by the time you realize it, it may be too late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Listeria sounds like it should be the title of a Def Leppard record.

Once again, I always love these posts. What's the deal with ultra-pasteurization. How is milk good for like 3 months.

That pasteurization is 275 degrees for like 1-2 seconds where regular pasteurization is usually at 161 degrees for 15-20 seconds. The other method often used in home pasteurization is 145 degrees for 30 minutes.

I've never had any of the ulta-pasteurized milk so I can't vouch for the taste though from what I read it does alter taste.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote