View Single Post
Old 10-23-2017, 06:56 AM   #886
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thealmighty View Post
On a different note, has there been any growth spurt worth mentioning?

Great question - I hadn't really thought about that.

Bailey at last check had grown fractionally taller and actually reached 5' 3", but that's probably going to do it for her. I was hoping early on she might get to 5' 5", but it became pretty obvious over the last couple of years that wasn't going to happen. Her short stature is hurting her swimming as many girls that she was competing with have grown much bigger and they are pulling away from her. It will hurt her recruiting as well. Coaches will often take a flyer on a tall girl assuming she'll develop, but short girls better be fast before they get recruited.

Brett went to the doctor for his annual check up last year and the doctor told him he was just under 5' 8" and was done growing. However, he's now 5' 9", so he wasn't done. I suspect he probably is finished now. I could be wrong, my side of the family has had some late growth, but even if he grows more, I'd be surprised if it was a full inch.

Bear has grown a little over an inch in the last year. That puts him right at 5' 8". At one point it looked like Bear would be much taller than Brett. He wears a 10.5 shoe to Brett's 8.5. He was taller at the same age pretty much every year, but that has slowed. I don't think he's finished growing, but I'm starting to think there won't be any dramatic leaps for him either. It's looking like 5' 9" might be his final height as well. This will hurt Bear's recruiting too. If he could get to 5' 11" or 6' it would be a huge help. Hopefully, his distance focus will reduce the amount of focus placed on height.

Last edited by Breeze : 10-24-2017 at 05:01 AM.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote