Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-21-2024, 04:15 PM   #401
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
I'm so confused, I feel like I'm from the past. So some players are not in the game, until you collect their card? It's not like the old days where all the players are just there from the start?

As dubb explained, the "card collecting" aspect is in its own mode. I'm not sure there's any game in the genre that makes touching it a requirement.

You'll often see acronyms like HUT or MUT tossed around, that's just (afaik) Hockey Ultimate Team or Madden Ultimate Team, MLB The Show calls theirs Diamond Dynasty.

Come to think of it, the DD description from Show might shed more light for you a chance to create a personal team of real Live Series players or Legends and Flashback players spanning over 100 years of baseball history

Those "personal teams" are then used against the CPU _or_ against other users head to head, in various modes that largely serve to generate the opportunity to earn more/better players to use. It's very .... well, I think of it as being very akin to the lather/rinse/repeat process common to app games, mobile games, etc. The whole "get better stuff, to do stuff better/quicker ... that let's you get more better stuff ... rinse, repeat" cycle.
Old 05-21-2024, 08:19 PM   #402
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
There in lies the issue though. I don’t think the “majority” of people play MUT and not Franchise. First off there are no numbers I googled and they don’t exist. And just because the dev team is spending more time on it doesn’t mean it’s more popular it just means that the mode is monetized unlike franchise modes.

The MUT modes have largely replaced multiplayer IMO rather than replacing Franchise.

It's also a self fulfilling prophecy. They largely ignore franchise mode every year, and then notice that not that many people are playing in franchise mode several years later. Meanwhile they put tons of resources into the ultimate team modes, and surprise surprise, people spend their time there. We all know why they have invested in ultimate team, because you don't use your team's budget to sign a free agent, you use your real money to do it. But that's exactly why I play games, to get away from the class divide, not to be reminded about it when some guy that spent thousands of dollars trounces me in a sports game.

And my OOTP career league that I'm playing right now has financials off, and I'm up to my 8th season. Haven't won the league yet, I keep finishing around .550.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote