Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-31-2007, 11:13 PM   #1
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Thursday, May 31st 2007, I became a witness

Lebron James managed to do it today, he converted me. He was playing with GODMODE all night. He was straight out of NBA Jam 97, Bill Clinton style, with as much domination.

This was one of the damndest things I've ever seen tonight.

DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:14 PM   #2
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

He just made another 100+ million in endorsements tonight.
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:15 PM   #3
RGunner
High School JV

that was definitely the best individual performance ive ever seen from the 4th on....just insane how easy it looked for him to do whatever he wanted
RGunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:16 PM   #4
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

PREACH ON, PREACHER MAN!
Old 05-31-2007, 11:18 PM   #5
cmp
Pro Rookie

Yup. Tonight he showed the world he's the best we've ever seen. Jordan couldn't do what Lebron did tonight, I don't care what anyone else says, no one else could do that. I've never been a Lebron fan, but tonight, he showed me no one is even close to his level. Just a few months ago I would have told you Kobe was the best in the league, now there's no argument. Lebron's taking a team filled with average players and is bringing them to the finals.

And being a Pistons fan, that last paragraph was hard to write.

Last edited by cmp : 05-31-2007 at 11:25 PM.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:24 PM   #6
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Dola, I too am a Pistons fan, but I was just in awe at that performance, obviously.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:29 PM   #7
RedKingGold
College Starter

OK, ok. I too am one of LeBron's biggest supporters. However, let's not swing from one side (saying he's overrated and could never hit a clutch shot) all the way to another.

LeBron is still great and will be one of the all-time greats, but let's not get too far in saying he's "better than Jordan" right here, right now.

However, it will be nice to see some idiots (aka Skip Bayless) eat serious crow tomorrow morning.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:35 PM   #8
cmp
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post

LeBron is still great and will be one of the all-time greats, but let's not get too far in saying he's "better than Jordan" right here, right now.

I'm saying what he did tonight, Jordan couldn't do. The way he dominated that game no one else can do. He has a long way to go before he's better than Jordan but he has all the tools to do it.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:44 PM   #9
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold101 View Post
Yup. Tonight he showed the world he's the best we've ever seen. Jordan couldn't do what Lebron did tonight, I don't care what anyone else says, no one else could do that. I've never been a Lebron fan, but tonight, he showed me no one is even close to his level. Just a few months ago I would have told you Kobe was the best in the league, now there's no argument. Lebron's taking a team filled with average players and is bringing them to the finals.

Best single game I've ever seen.

But let's cut the "nobody else is on his level" garbage. One game does not a career make. Just a week ago, I was wondering if he'd ever have the break out performence everyone thought he had in him.

The last three games he's been nothing short of brilliant. Now he has to close out the series. And he has to follow this up by emerging as this type of player repeatedly next year. Over and over and over again.

If anything, tonights performence makes me scratch my head a lot more. Where has this been? Regular season or playoffs in the last two seasons?

I'll say it again. Single best performence I've seen in a playoff game. No question. But I'll say another thing again. . . cut the "nobody else on his level" garbage until he does this type of thing on a regular basis.

I have a gut feeling he's going to find the going very, very rough in a couple of nights. I'm very interested to see how he'll respond.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 12:53 AM   #10
Groundhog
Coordinator

The problem is, as I've said in the other threads, that LeBron isn't a "hop on my back boys and let me carry you all with 48 points" kind of player. That he can have performances like tonight is a testament to just how good he is, but scoring 29 out of your team's final 30 points is not something he can fairly be asked to do night in and night out.

In a few days time he'll find himself swamped with Pistons defenders once again, and if his team-mates don't lend a hand, much like Z and to a lesser extent Gibson did until fouling out tonight, then he could find things tough going next game. The Cavs can't allow the Pistons to play a box and 1 keyed in on LeBron exclusively. They didn't do a good job of this tonight, but you have to figure Flip will do a better job of coaching this after sitting through a tape of tonight's game.
Old 06-01-2007, 12:56 AM   #11
Jas_lov
College Starter

I don't think I'd ever say Jordan couldn't do something. One of the best playoff performances I've ever seen was Jordan putting up 38 on the Jazz in the finals while sick with the flu. He dominated the 4th quarter. The Bulls were down by 1 and Jordan got to the free throw line. He hit the 1st and missed the 2nd, but got the rebound and hit the game winning 3 pointer to give the Bulls a 3-2 lead in the series in Utah. Then he scored 39 in game 6 where Kerr hit the series winning shot.

That said, I think what Lebron did was the best performance I've ever seen in the playoffs because of the way he did it all by himself. Sure Detroit let him drive to the hoop and get dunks and layups, but he hit some extremely tough jumpers. I know we tend to overreact when we just see something and forget about past performances, but what Lebron did tonight was just unreal. But don't say that Jordan couldn't dominate games like Lebron did tonight because Jordan did it every game every year.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 01:03 AM   #12
MikeVic
Head Coach

Yeah, LeBron was on another plane tonight. Unreal.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 01:04 AM   #13
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold101 View Post

Serious question, how old are you? I think it's pertinent.

I mean, seriously... you must have been less than 10 during Jordna's heyday to think that he didnt repeatedly pull the most ridiculous shit out of his ass in the clutch.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 07:40 AM   #14
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
The problem is, as I've said in the other threads, that LeBron isn't a "hop on my back boys and let me carry you all with 48 points" kind of player. That he can have performances like tonight is a testament to just how good he is, but scoring 29 out of your team's final 30 points is not something he can fairly be asked to do night in and night out.

In a few days time he'll find himself swamped with Pistons defenders once again, and if his team-mates don't lend a hand, much like Z and to a lesser extent Gibson did until fouling out tonight, then he could find things tough going next game. The Cavs can't allow the Pistons to play a box and 1 keyed in on LeBron exclusively. They didn't do a good job of this tonight, but you have to figure Flip will do a better job of coaching this after sitting through a tape of tonight's game.

I don't mean he has to do this on a nightly basis. Hell, he may never again have a night like he had tonight.

I mean he has to come up big in fourth quarters repeatedly now. Not just once in awhile. The last three games has shown what he CAN do in those situations. Now he must continue to have great games.

It's easy to get caught up in last nights game and forget that heading into that game he was averaging 24 points on 43% shooting in 14 previous playoff games. (for the comparisons to Jordan, understand he never averaged under 29 in this playoff career and rarely shot under 50% until the end of his career) I disagree with the statement he isn't a hop on my back boys type of player. He most certainly is and always has been. Yeah, he can board and pass as well, but so could Jordan.

Hell, the last three games shows what James is capable of. IMHO, he has a chance to be one of the greatest players any of us has ever laid eyes on. But I'm not annoiting him after a single game either. He has a long ways to go before I'm mentioning him in the debate about the greatest players ever.

As Cthomer put it, unless you watched the Jordan years, you have no idea how good that guy was in the fourth quarter. He simply killed you.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 08:21 AM   #15
Izulde
Head Coach

Incredible performance by James last night, I agree.

Better than Jordan? Not even close.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 08:43 AM   #16
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

OK, you guys are making me mad. I was bowling last night, but they had the game on in the bowling center. The game was maybe in the third quarter when I headed for home. My wife and I got home 5 minutes later, and she started up "Pirate Master" on the TiVo. By the time she was done watching that, I figured that the basketball game was over. I'm not a huge NBA fan anymore, so I didn't bother trying to check for a score or anything last night. I didn't care enough.

A few minutes later, I was hanging in an IRC channel, and someone mentioned that LeBron was probably about to make a game-winning shot. I asked, "Isn't the game over yet?" A minute later, someone said, "It is now." I was wondering what the hell I had missed. Now I find out that it was apparently one of the most dominating playoff performances by a single player in the past whoknowshowmany years...

...and I missed it because of Pirate Master.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:45 AM   #17
miami_fan
Coordinator

Why are there only two options A) he is the worst superstar in the league or B) he is the greatest player ever.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 08:46 AM   #18
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post

...and I missed it because of Pirate Master.

Good job ass pirate
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 08:49 AM   #19
rkmsuf
Head Coach

I'll still take Detroit in the series.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:55 AM   #20
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by from the headline blurb at SportsLine
It's clear LeBron can beat Detroit by himself.

Way of sports since the 1990s - celebrating The Man in a team sport.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 08:57 AM   #21
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post

There is no I in team....but there is a ME
Old 06-01-2007, 09:07 AM   #22
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
I know how you feel about this sort of thing, and you're probably not really looking for a response, but I'll throw one in anyway for comedy value.

From what I'm reading, in this case, the celebration of LeBron James is deserved. When your options are 1) be the best player on the team and put them on your back and 2) pass the ball to Larry Hughes, I think I'd take option 1 every time. Judging from the foul trouble that Cleveland had last night, the Cavaliers didn't even really have an actual team on the floor by the time overtime got going. In this case, James kinda had to do it by himself or Cleveland would have lost. It's one thing to know that you have to carry your team. It's another thing when the other team knows it and you carry your guys anyway.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:49 AM   #23
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
There is no I in team....but there is a ME

Ain't no we either.

- Leon
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 10:13 AM   #24
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I miss those commericals
Old 06-01-2007, 10:43 AM   #25
gstelmack
Pro Starter

That's great that he did it last night, but where was he in games 1 & 2?
Old 06-01-2007, 10:45 AM   #26
Atocep
Coordinator

Whatever Lebron or any other superstar that comes along in the NBA does isn't going to be enough. They'll unfairly compared to guys like Russell and Jordan or Bird and Magic.

It was bad when Vince Carter came along, was worse with Kobe, and has reached stupid levels with Lebron. Can't wait for Oden or whoever comes along after him.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 10:51 AM   #27
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
I miss those commericals

Weren't they supposed to make a sitcom out of that character? Or did it happen, Fox ran it at 2:30am, got no audience, and they canceled it at 2:50?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 10:59 AM   #28
gstelmack
Pro Starter

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...yDate=20070531

I know, everyone hates Bill Simmons, but the bottom of that article says it all.
Old 06-01-2007, 12:23 PM   #29
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Why are there only two options A) he is the worst superstar in the league or B) he is the greatest player ever.

I think this may stem from the fact that he doesn't turn it on every night. Jordan in his hayday or Kobe most nights just looked pissed, they were pretty much either on or off, mostly on, always on in the playoffs. LeBron seems to have gears, the last 3 games he has been in high gear, playing to dominate the game, but in many other games he just doesn't seem to be there, kinda mid gear, like the first two games of this series. For LeBron to cement his star he needs to be able to deliver these top gear performances night in, night out in the playoffs. I for one hope he does, we don't need anymore Vince Carters in this league.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 12:29 PM   #30
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Are you Bill Simmons, or do you just play him at FOFC?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 12:31 PM   #31
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Are you Bill Simmons, or do you just play him at FOFC?

lol

can we get some chauncey billups talk too? perhaps a recap of his career?
Old 06-01-2007, 12:37 PM   #32
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...yDate=20070531

I know, everyone hates Bill Simmons, but the bottom of that article says it all.

I'll admit it, this in particular cracked me up:

Quote:
The Cavs having superior athletic talent and a major speed advantage, but walking the ball up every possession so Ilgauskas can remain on the court … and the Pistons not taking advantage of Z's glacier-like defense by going small and making him guard the likes of Sheed, Antonio McDyess or even Jason Maxiell. It's the rare case of both coaches willfully going for a disadvantage at the same time. I've never seen it before and, honestly, I'm just glad that it happened in my lifetime.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 01:09 PM   #33
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

You're right Bucc - we should celebrate those good ol days, when men were men, and everyone held hands and sang Kumbaya. Sports are an outlet - we love brilliant individual play, and I'll be damned if I'm going to condemn them for it.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 01:20 PM   #34
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

LeBron was amazing last night. 23 is back people.....
Old 06-01-2007, 06:10 PM   #35
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Pumpsy, you're right, I wasn't looking for one but that's a good response.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote