31 - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers 53 79.10%
226 - Don Henley 9 13.43%
----- 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-16-2017, 11:06 AM   #1
BYU 14
Coordinator

FOFC Favorite Rock Act - Round 1 Group L

Kiss had a scare in Group K and James Taylor pulled off a surprise upset against Alice in Chains, which has been the biggest of the tournament to date.

Some of the more intriguing matchups in this round include The Beastie Boys against Robert Plant, The Moody Blues against Wings and The Clash against Avenged Sevenfold

Most votes one actMost votes both actsFewest votes winnerMost votes loser
68 - Guns n' Roses - 1st rd75 - AC/DC vs Asia (68-7) - 1st rd23 - Jeff Buckley - Play in rd33 - Eric Burdon & The Animals - 1st rd
68 - AC/DC - 1st rd 75 - Paul Simon vs Billy Idol (42-33) - 1st rd23 - Counting Crows - Play in rd33 - Billy Idol - 1st rd
66 - Neil Young - 1st rd 74 - Thee way tie24 - Sammy Hagar - Play in rd29 - Phil Collins - 1st rd
29 - The Cranberries - 1st rd
Largest margin of victorySmallest margin of victoryBiggest upsetLargest Shutout
64 - Guns n' Roses vs Slipknot (68-4) - 1st rd1 - Elvis Costello vs STP (29-28) 1st rd175/74 - James Taylor over Alice in Chains 1st rdChicago 63 - Arcana 0 - 1st rd
64 - Queen vs Counting Crows (67-3) 1st rd2 - Kiss vs The Cranberries (31-29) 1st rd185/96 - No Doubt over Eric Burdon - 1st rdThe Kinks 63 - Free 0 - 1st rd
63 - Chicago vs Arcana (63-0) - 1st rd3 - Three times 1st rd149/69 - Crosby, Stills & Nash over Alice Cooper
63 - The Kinks vs Free (63-0) - 1st rd

Last edited by BYU 14 : 07-16-2017 at 11:40 AM.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 12:37 PM   #2
bhlloy
Coordinator

Man, Tom Petty vs Don Henley sucks
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 01:08 PM   #3
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Man, Tom Petty vs Don Henley sucks

Queensryche vs Nirvana sucked for me. I think Queesnryche was/is as talented a group of hard rock musicians as you will find, but Nirvana was groundbreaking. My vote came down to if you could only choose one of their catalogs to have with you on a deserted island, who would you take, and it was Queensryche for me.
Old 07-16-2017, 01:45 PM   #4
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Queensryche vs Nirvana sucked for me. I think Queesnryche was/is as talented a group of hard rock musicians as you will find, but Nirvana was groundbreaking. My vote came down to if you could only choose one of their catalogs to have with you on a deserted island, who would you take, and it was Queensryche for me.

Ditto
Old 07-16-2017, 02:01 PM   #5
Critch
lolzcat

I'm going to see The Moody Blues on Thursday. That's all I have to add.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 02:30 PM   #6
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The first round I recall where there will be numerous significant travesties.
Old 07-16-2017, 02:37 PM   #7
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Very tough round. And it included two of my most despised bands in Nirvana and Oasis. So at least those votes were easy.

I know I am in the minority, but I feel like the popularization of grunge ruined about 5-6 years of rock music in the 90s, and it was during a prime music listening and concert going age for me (college years).

I actually liked many of the biggest grunge acts, like Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, STP, Alice in Chains, etc. They weren't the problem. It was the million knockoffs that all the labels and radio stations tried to force on us during these years, hoping they had found some new super grunge act on the rise.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 02:46 PM   #8
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I know I am in the minority, but I feel like the popularization of grunge ruined about 5-6 years of rock music in the 90s, and it was during a prime music listening and concert going age for me (college years).

It pretty much destroyed most of a decade for me. Considering the amount of time/energy I put into music both before and (eventually) after that vast wasteland, imagine how much I had to hate it.
Old 07-16-2017, 03:27 PM   #9
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Not seeing grunge destroying hair bands as a net loss. And there was plenty of music during that time besides grunge
Old 07-16-2017, 03:51 PM   #10
General Mike
Pro Starter

Settle down old people
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 03:52 PM   #11
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryche View Post
Not seeing grunge destroying hair bands as a net loss. And there was plenty of music during that time besides grunge

The 80s were the greatest musical era in history. Period.
(remember, rock had more than just the straight up hair bands there)

There were virtually no new rock bands worth two cents that emerged in the 90s, thanks to the plague of grunge, and even previously existing bands largely went into a shell for most of a decade.

It was the darkest of times for anyone with working ears & any musical taste to speak of.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:48 PM   #12
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
The 80s were the greatest musical era in history. Period.
That's a bold statement. You're wrong, but a bold statement anyway.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 04:51 PM   #13
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I think the 60's are the era to beat for music, the 70's for film.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 09:42 PM   #14
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Wow, what a group. Nirvana has lots of competition. Not Don Henley but lots of competition.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 11:25 PM   #15
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryche View Post

I wouldn't say grunge killed hair bands. Grunge just happened to be what came next.

Quote:
It was the million knockoffs that all the labels and radio stations tried to force on us during these years

That's what killed hair bands (and grunge, and every other music genre/trend that ever "ruled the world" for a time).
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 11:51 PM   #16
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I think there's a lot of public deflection when it comes to what killed heavy metal/hard rock, and it was entirely internal. I'd point to the release of 'Home Sweet Home' by Motley Crue (which is/was a great song) in 1985 as the day that the heavy metal ballad really took off, and it was all down hill from there. 'Every Rose Has It's Thorn' took it to another level, pretty soon everybody HAD to have a ballad, and then in the '90s Aerosmith finally flogged that shit to death, over and over again.

There's no reason grunge, hard rock and heavy metal couldn't have co-existed in the same spaces, if 6 minute long sappy ass ballads hadn't become a large part of the standard for the latter two. Kids who simply wanted to rock ALL the time (as many kids often do) had no choice but to go to grunge, just to escape the love songs and ruffled shirts, and that's certainly not grunge's fault.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 07-17-2017 at 03:39 AM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:08 AM   #17
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I love me some Black Sabbath and would defend them, even as the #1 band, to the death....but I think solo Ozzy over the Stooges is entirely suspect*. Ozzy has a couple good solo songs (mostly with Randy) but the amount of absolute crap he put out counts against him in my mind....especially versus the consistency of the Stooges. I'd maintain Ozzy's best record is still 'Speak of the Devil' a coked-up, 'live' double-record of Sabbath covers.

* I was born in Ann Arbor, my mom worked at the local ballroom where all those bands played, my dad was a roadie for the Stooges and the MC5, and those records were among the first things on hand when even my slightest interest in music began, so I carry more than a little bias.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 12:42 PM   #18
Butter
Coordinator

Smashing Pumpkins' SIAMESE DREAM is such an amazing album. Released literally on my 18th birthday. "Cherub Rock" was my favorite song for a little while. Then I burned out on it and them.

But was just re-listening to "Soma" right then and realized how good it is, even if Corgan can't sing worth a lick.

Last edited by Butter : 07-18-2017 at 01:33 PM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 01:22 PM   #19
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Some tough ones in this one. Robert Plant has had a lot of really good records in his time as a solo artist, but I had to go with the Beastie Boys due to the ways they advanced rap and blended it back with punk and garage rock.

I like the Moody Blues, but to me they have far less of a resume of good music than Paul McCartney & Wings.

I liked Don Henley's first two records quite a bit, but Tom Petty is an institution.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 03:45 PM   #20
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Smashing Pumpkins' SIAMESE DREAM is such an amazing album. Released literally on my 18th birthday. "Cherub Rock" was my favorite song for a little while. Then I burned out on it and them.

But was just re-listening to "Soma" right then and realized how good it is, even if Corgan can't sing worth a lick.

Yea, Smashing Pumpkins has much the same effect for me. I also have Siamese Dream and played it a lot back in the 90s. But it is just very easy to burn out on Smashing Pumpkins, from Corgan's terrible voice to the often overly hard played, dominant amd screechy guitar play.

But many times a song by them will come on by them which reminds how really great they can be putting compositions together.

One of my favorites by them was probably the song that made me realize this about them after largely forgetting about them for a decade. "Beginning Is The End Is The Beginning" is the song that played on the Watchmen movie trailer. It's a great song by them which showed what they are capable of.

I would link a video of the song but this is an FOFC trick I haven't yet figured out how to do. Maybe Crimson Fox will swing by and do it.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 07-18-2017 at 03:47 PM.
Old 07-18-2017, 04:10 PM   #21
BYU 14
Coordinator

Ask and you shall receive

Old 07-18-2017, 04:37 PM   #22
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Perfect. Thanks!

Old 07-22-2017, 05:19 AM   #23
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

What is avenged sevenfold doing on this list...
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 05:24 AM   #24
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Tough draw for Jefferson starship... My favorite of any of their incarnations was the Marty balin song Miracles
Jefferson Starship - Miracles - YouTube
Old 07-22-2017, 05:28 AM   #25
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Yea, Smashing Pumpkins has much the same effect for me. I also have Siamese Dream and played it a lot back in the 90s. But it is just very easy to burn out on Smashing Pumpkins, from Corgan's terrible voice to the often overly hard played, dominant amd screechy guitar play.

But many times a song by them will come on by them which reminds how really great they can be putting compositions together.

One of my favorites by them was probably the song that made me realize this about them after largely forgetting about them for a decade. "Beginning Is The End Is The Beginning" is the song that played on the Watchmen movie trailer. It's a great song by them which showed what they are capable of.

I would link a video of the song but this is an FOFC trick I haven't yet figured out how to do. Maybe Crimson Fox will swing by and do it.

I cannot .

My computer caught a virus called Windows 10 update and I've been black screen of death ever since

But you're full if crap about Corgan's voice. You may as well complain about Mick jaggers awful voice or Bob dylan's awful voice.

And oh yeah f*** don Henley
Old 07-22-2017, 05:30 AM   #26
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

People actually voted for Bryan Adams?
Really?
Old 07-22-2017, 05:31 AM   #27
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Awww stooges went down hard. Wasn't that your group BYU?
Old 07-22-2017, 08:22 AM   #28
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
Awww stooges went down hard. Wasn't that your group BYU?

Cheap Trick, and they don't have a very favorable matchup next round