Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-09-2007, 01:09 PM   #1
korme
Go Reds

Did I have the greatest sporting day of all-time as a fan?

I was in NY with my mom and brother this past Thursday to yesterday. The trip started bad, there were problems at JFK Airport and instead of arriving in NY around noon on Thursday, we didn't get in until 10 PM, missing a full day of touristy stuff.

Then, with tix to the Nets/Wiz game for Saturday, Gil Arenas we find out is out for the year, so we won't get to watch him! Bummer.

So Saturday rolls around and first up is Yankees, Orioles. Despite the cold, I was very excited to experience Yankee Stadium.

It was everything I expected it to be, capped off by A-Rod hitting a walkoff grand slam. What a moment to witness. When the bases were loaded, 2 outs, I told my brother, "Great, just what A-Rod needs, another chance to blow it!" And he did the opposite.

So on to the Nets/Wizards game later that night. And what a game it was! First off, Vince Carter scored the Nets first 17 points. It was Vince 17, Wizards 15 at one point. Despite not being a VC fan, I wanted to see him score all of their 1st qtr points, but Cliff Robinson ruined it with a three from the baseline.

At the end of the half, Jason Kidd has 0 points, 12 assists, and 8 rebounds. Vince Carter had 27 points.

Fast forward to the end of the 4th, down 3, Antawn Jamison hits a 3 with 1.1 left to send it to overtime! Good thing, because Kidd had only 7 points and I wanted him to get a triple double!

I didn't realize Carter needed only 1 assist.

In overtime, Kidd got his points and Carter got his dime. At the end, the Nets won, and I witnessed something that hadn't happened in 18 years: 2 teammates recorded a triple double. It was pretty sweet to watch.

So basically I attended both of the top stories on SportsCenter. Pretty great day to be a sports fan and attend some games.

korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 01:11 PM   #2
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Putting aside the fact that the Yankees won and there was entirely too much basketball involved for it to be THAT great of a day, yeah, that doesn't sound too bad.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 01:12 PM   #3
RedKingGold
College Starter

But did you go see the Met?
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 01:30 PM   #4
KWhit
Coordinator

2 NBA games? Your thread title does not compute.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 03:04 PM   #5
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

Watching the Indians win a World Series on TV would be a much greater day for me than that.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:56 PM   #6
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Watching the Colts win the superbowl was a pretty good day for me.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 04:10 PM   #7
korme
Go Reds

Obviously, seeing on the scoreboard that the Reds won 7-5 that day was much more rewarding for me than a Yankee or Nets win. But I was talking about live, at-the-game action... usually when you go to a game there's a 75% chance it will be very average- but I got two great games in one day, pretty cool.

Last edited by korme : 04-09-2007 at 04:11 PM.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:35 PM   #8
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281 View Post
Obviously, seeing on the scoreboard that the Reds won 7-5 that day was much more rewarding for me than a Yankee or Nets win. But I was talking about live, at-the-game action... usually when you go to a game there's a 75% chance it will be very average- but I got two great games in one day, pretty cool.
I saw Joe Montana play a college football game where Vegas Ferguson set the Notre Dame single game rushing record. That was really cool. I watched Eddie George break the OSU single game rushing record in person and wrap up the Heisman, that rocked. I watched Magic Johnson torch the Phoenix Suns for 38 points live, way cool. I saw Jackie Joyner-Kersee tie the US female long-jump record in person. I watched catcher Gary Alexander hit a dramatic ninth inning three run-homer to make Cleveland beat Detroit. I watched Bob Feller throw 80 mile-an-hour fastballs in an old-timers game (Ray Narkleski threw harder). I watched Joey (better known as Albert) Belle hit a dramatic late inning three-run homerun for LSU to bet Tulane in a college ballgame. I later saw Joey (still not yet known as Albert) hit the longest homerun I ever saw at Phoenix stadium in a spring training game against the old Bruise Brothers (McGuire and Canseco). I saw Mike Schmidt hit a line drive that went 20 feet over a 20 foot high wall 420 feet to dead center. I saw Greg Louganis dive in person and he was phenomenal, I watched Bruce Baumgartner wrestle in person and beat the hell out of some poor Cuban, and I also saw Javier Sotomeyer and Carl Lewis jump live, both of which probably meant more to me than all of the above. Oh, and I watched Ohio State beat up Miami in the Fiesta Bowl to win a national title.

But the single greatest thing I ever saw in person was a run by a high school running back named Jim Reynolds in 1979. He worked as a teacher's aid at my school and we had both Woody Hayes and Bo Schembechler visit our school to recruit him, and he wound up at Miami of Ohio, the college that Bo and Woody both came out of. Anyway, Reynolds took the handoff at around the his own 15 (5 yards deep from the line of scrimmage), was swarmed by three guys and somehow made a spin move and lost all three then turn it up the field for an 80 yard TD run. Simply the greatest single athletic feat I have ever seen.

But my greatest day as a sports fan had to be watching Team USA beat Russia in the 1980 Olympics.

Last edited by Leonidas : 04-09-2007 at 04:37 PM.
Leonidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 04:55 PM   #9
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I was there when Sid Bream slid.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:27 PM   #10
JeeberD
General Manager

I was there when LaDainian Tomlinson set the NCAA single game rushing record...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 05:35 PM   #11
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I was there when Sid Bream slid.

x2
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 05:45 PM   #12
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I was there when Gretzky broke the all time goal record in 94. We had attempted to get tickets for a week or so earlier, but there was a screwup and we got the tickets for the 23rd. We were bummed out because we figured he would already have broken Howe's record by then. Turned out to be a great night, and I still have the ticket stub encased on my wall.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 06:20 PM   #13
spleen1015
Coordinator

I was there when the Athletics beat the Orioles 8-1 and nothing really special happened.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 11:05 PM   #14
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

I was at game 2 of the 1990 World Series. Billy Bates moment in the spotlight.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:08 PM   #15
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

The Nets and early-season baseball? I don't think you had the best sporting day this week.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 12:05 AM   #16
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
The Nets and early-season baseball? I don't think you had the best sporting day this week.

It's about the game! Don't break it down like that!!!!