Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-24-2012, 05:35 PM   #1
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Thomas takes on the Tour (Tiger Woods 13)

I never gave it much thought. I picked the game of golf up when I was 18 and over the years I went through phases of playing a lot and then not playing at all. That all changed when I moved over into the realm of sales.

You see, I was once told all the important business happens on the golf course. Which of course I managed to make true and used golf trips to close deals.

Then one day, I was out with my brother in law on a course locally and the course pro tags along with us to play. He starts working with us on our game and pretty soon I am booming my drives and playing a great short game, he said he didn't have to worry about my putting I had that down pat (years of competitive putt-putt).

When we were done he told me I should sign up for one of the amateur events locally and I laughed him off, thinking he was trying to make me feel good. We exchanged business cards and I left it at that.

A couple of weeks after I receive a call

"Dennis, it's me Ryan"

I am scratching my head, I know several Ryan's and I am trying to place the voice. But he solves the case for me...

"Ryan, the guy you golfed with the other day."

"Hi, how are you?"

"I'm doing great, listen up. I was talking with a sponsor the other day that is breaking into the scene and wants to get on board with several local golfers and get them into the American Amateur Tour."

Ok, I am thinking I am going to be asked to support him or show up or something..

"So I told him about your game and he wants to meet, get you inked and get you out on the course."

Dead silence on my end, did I hear right? Was I just told that I am good enough for a sponsor for golf?

"This is where you as a sales guy need to close the deal and say ok, I will be there"

That snaps me out of it and I laugh a little.

"Yeah, sure I will meet, I can't walk away from my job until I see something from this guy."

"I don't expect you to, it's an amateur sponsorship, he isn't paying you cash to live like some of the others when you get to the tour, he will cover your costs to play and provide you with clothes, clubs and such."

I think to myself, this has to be worth looking into, I will probably get my butt whipped, but if someone is buying, I am playing.

The meeting went well, I inked with EA Sports of all companies and I am heading to Carmel, IN to play at Crooked Stick in the Midwest Classing.

What can I say, I had to do it. The game allows for it, so I figure I have to try. I am playing on Pro level with Live Weather.

Last edited by MacroGuru : 04-24-2012 at 05:37 PM.
MacroGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:49 PM   #2
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I arrive in Carmel, IN and get checked into the hotel and sit on my bed holding the letter in my hand. Here I am 37, almost 38 years old and I am being asked by my sponsor to meet up with Hunter Mahan for some training the next day.

You know, PGA Pro Hunter Mahan winner of the 2010 WGC Bridgestone Invitational.

I can barely sleep that not but head over to the course the next morning and meet up with Hunter. He shows me some ropes, works with me on my swing and my short game and he basically said the same thing as Ryan about my putting.

When we are done, he challenges me to a small Stableford match, 3 holes and the loser buys dinner. I agree to it, knowing I will more than likely end up buying dinner tonight.

Our first hole is the 3rd tee, which is a par 3. I use an iron of the tee and peg it 9 yards from the hole. I missed the long putt by 3 feet and end up with a Par. I am thinking I am already going to be down on this hole and yet, Hunter follows me with a Par.

The second hole is the par 4, 4th tee. I boom my drive off the tee and send it straight down the fairway when it stops I am about 112 yds from the hole. My next shot lands 4 yds from the pin. My putt was perfect and hits in, I just birdied the whole. Hunter had a rough go on his drive and he ends up with a Par.

As we walk onto the next whole he was explaining the stableford scoring to me which I am still foggy with but I know I am a +2 on him

Our final hole is the par 4 16th. Another crushing drive for me, 281 yards places me about 112 yards from the stick. I follow it up with a wedge onto the green, six yards from the stick. I then implode as I 3 put the hole and finish with a bogey. Hunter had an off day or wanted to make me feel good because he came in with a par. I end up winning with a +1 according to Hunter and I am excited, we agree to meet up at a Steakhouse and enjoy the night.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:06 PM   #3
MacroGuru
Coordinator

The second day is the sponsors challenge. Precept is sponsoring this tourney and they have a challenge of finishing the last 4 holes with at least a +1.

15th Hole - This is a par 5 and I drive it 231 yds, leaving me about 213 away from the green. I use my 3 wood and send it to about 13 yards from the green. Next I pitch it up to the green landing 9 yards from the hole. I miss the birdie putt by a good 3 feet and tap it in for par.

16th Hole - Par 4, the first drive is 272 yards leaving me about 134 yards to the green. I hit a solid 130 yards onto the green and about 4 yards from the hole. The 12 ft putt looking daunting but I sink it and I birdie the hole. I am now 1 under.

17th Hole - Par 3, I hit it 169 yards onto the green with an iron. I am 17 ft away from the hole and I am able to sink the putt, another birdie and I am now at 2 under.

18th Hole - Par 4, My drive goes 251 yards off the tee, leaving me about 150 yards to the green. I crush my shot and land it 2 yards from the pin. I misread the green and I am 6 inches short. I tap it in and finish the hole with a par.

Wrapping it all up, I ended up winning the sponsors challenge and I receive the following prizes:
  • Bridgestone e5 golf balls
  • Quagmire Golf Crunch polo shirt
  • Bridgestone Black Contrast Stitch Cap
Looking at the prizes, I think I will use the cap and the golf balls tomorrow, I have to wear the EA shirt, the brought me here.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:08 PM   #4
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Niiice.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:04 PM   #5
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I enter competition day with a little bit of confidence after talking with Hunter all weekend and winning the sponsor challenge, I think I might have a chance.

Small crowd, mostly friends and family of the other golfers but I do notice that Ryan is here with the EA guy and they are chatting with Hunter.

Hole 1 - I end up getting a par on this hole, nerves managed to get a hold of me on the drive and I end up going into the rough. I ended up recovering and my chip onto the green put the ball close enough I could drop the putt. Tied for 1st

Hole 2 - I play this hole well and end up sinking a long putt for birdie, I am -1 and tied for 1st.

Hole 3 - This was my chance to sound my barbaric yawlp but I end up missing a long birdie putt by 7 inches and end up with par. I am still at -1 and take sole possession of 1st.

Hole 4 - I play the 4th hole well and sink an 11 ft putt for birdie, that places me at -2 and in 1st place by 3 strokes.

Hole 5 - What a complete disaster, the drive and short game was good, the putting was atrocious. I choked and 3 putted for a Bogey. I am at -1 and still leading by 3 strokes. I can't afford anything else like this.

Hole 6 - My mind was still on the piss poor play of the last hole and I end up in the water and missing a long putt. I double bogey the hole and I am now at a +1 and only leading by a stroke.

Hole 7 - A crazy shot off the tee had me initially thinking I was going downhill fast. But I took a few deep breaths, calmed down and recovered sinking a 19 ft putt for Par. I am still at a +1 and in the lead by 2 strokes.

Hole 8 - Tried to recover but I missed a 13 ft putt for birdie but finished this hole with a par. Still at a +1 but I am now leading by 3 strokes.

Hole 9 - I had a chance for an eagle, it was a long 40 ft putt but I missed it. I tapped it in for the birdie though. I am now even and in the lead by 4 strokes.

Hole 10 - I am hitting the ball hard and far, which is helping me, I did miss a 34 ft putt for birdie but tapped it in for par. I am still in the lead, but this time by 5 strokes as I am still even. It looks like the other golfers are starting to implode.

Hole 11 - Another birdie! This was a gratifying shot. It was a 17 ft putt that was on a downward slope, the rattle in the cup was satisfying. I secure the lead by jumping ahead by 7 strokes and sitting at a -1.

Hole 12 - I come crashing back to earth with a thud. Missed a 33 ft putt for birdie then turned around and missed a 4 ft putt for par. Bogey on the hole sets me back to even and in the lead by 5 strokes.

Hole 13 - Another birdie chance, this one was a missed 12 ft putt. A par keeps me even and in the lead by 6 strokes. The fans are starting to follow me as I realize I have been dominating this field and I have this pretty much sewn up unless I self destruct.

Hole 14 - I spoke to soon it appears. I send my tee shot out of bounds, then into the rough, followed by another one into the rough. I mowed the rough on this hole for them. A long putt miss, followed up with a tap in and I go in with a double bogey and a +2, the scary thing is, I am still in the lead by 5 strokes.

Hole 15 - What a recovery! My first Eagle! 3 wood to the green and I sink a long putt for the Eagle. I am now even again and in the lead by 7 strokes.

Hole 16 - The bunker took control of me on this hole. I end up with a bogey and going to a +1 and a 5 stroke lead.

Hole 17 - A nice clean hole, I make a 12 ft putt for Par. I am sitting at +1 and a 5 stroke lead and I pretty much have secured the round.

Hole 18 - Missed an 18 ft putt for birdie but tapped it in for par. I finish up with a +1 and a 5 stroke lead.

Ryan, the EA Rep and Hunter are there to greet me and congratulate me on my win at the 18th hole.

It was an amazing feeling holding that big fake check and shaking some hands. The press was pretty crazy as they say I took over with that eagle on 15.

I liked the feeling of the win, it was great. The office asked me how did it go and I smiled and showed them the big fake check and they all laughed. But I could see the worry in their faces and told them to relax, I am a ways away from anything major, right now, this is fun.

Last edited by MacroGuru : 04-24-2012 at 07:06 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:06 PM   #6
MacroGuru
Coordinator

The phone rings and it's Ryan again. He has the EA rep conferencing into the call too. The discussion fairly straight forward.

"Listen Dennis, you made a name for yourself and we were contacted by the folks that run the Southeastern Amateur Cup and they would like you to play. It's in Louisville at Valhalla."

Valhalla, a PGA tour course, I get to see how I can handle a long course and maybe see how I stack up.

"We have your flight, room and other costs ready for you, just get down there. Oh, and your training with Bubba Watson on this run."
Old 04-28-2012, 01:15 PM   #7
MacroGuru
Coordinator

The trip to Louisville was just fine, I picked up my rental car at the airport and went straight for the course. I had an appointment with Bubba before I even checked in.

The training was solid as he was working with me on my driving game, getting me to straighten out the shots and boom them far. Funny thing is, I do not know if it's a way for EA to keep me in check or all the pro's do it, but we had a little competition after the workout.

A skins game, working the 10th, 14th, 16th and 18th holes. The benefit I see behind all this is a look at the holes before the tournament begins.

On the 10th hole I hit a clean drive leaving me 43 yards to the pin. I follow that up with a shot that leaves me 4 yards to the pin, a 12 ft birdie putt leaves me pushing with Bubba.

On the 14th hole I crush it, 289 yards leaving me about 227 from the hole. Second shot dies at about 10 yards from the hole. I chip it and I am left with 5 yards. On 15 ft putt I pull it up short by about 3 feet. I then tap it in for par, but Bubba beats me with a long beautiful birdie putt.

The 16th hole is a par 3 and I drive it 158 yards, leaving it about 4 yds from the hole. With an 11 ft putt it stops right on the lip of the hole, I kid you not, 9 inches is all I was short. I tap it in for par and we push the hole.

The 18th hole I drive it 289 yards, leaving myself 112 yards away. I then drive it 102 yards with 11 yards left. My chip was 13 yards, leaving me 4 yards short. I miss the putt and it doesn't matter because Bubba hit his for Par and wins.

Bubba destroyed me, he showed no mercy and I leave the training scratching my head, wondering if I have what it takes to compete with the pros.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:21 PM   #8
MacroGuru
Coordinator

The next day I walk into the club house and see the sponsors challenge is up and being ran by Cobra.

Looks like the 4th, 5th and 6th holes all Par 4's. I have to get an even or better.

I head out to participate.

The 4th hole I drive it 267 yards, leaving me with 79 left. 70 yard follow up leaving me 10 yards short. I have a 30ft put that I hit way to hard and end up tapping the 5ft in. I par the hole and I am even.

On the 5th hole I drive it 265 yards, leaving 144 to the pin. The second shot drops me about 7 yards from the hole. I drain a 22 ft putt and end up with a birdie and I am now at a -1.

The 6th hole is a longer hole, it should be a par 5. I end up driving it 252 yards. I am now 222 away from the flag. The second shot was a 215 yards leaving me roughly 6 yards from the hole. I missed the 14ft putt for birdie and tap it in for par. I finish the 3 hole challenge with a -1.

I WIN the sponsors challenge and it ends up paying out a lot of swag.

Cobra ZL Enore in Black and White
Cobra Trusty Rusty Wedges
Cobra Tour Cap Stone Color
Cobra Tour Cap Royal Blue
Old 04-28-2012, 02:06 PM   #9
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Hole 1 - Par 4 - 220 yard drive, leaving me 191 yards away. I crush the second shot sending it 194 yards leaving me about 4 yards from the hole. I drain the 11 ft putt for Birdie. I am in 1st place with a -1

Hole 2 - Par 5 - 269 yard drive followed up by a 211 yard shot into the bunker. I sweep out of the bunker 34 yards, leaving me 10 yards short. I hit a put 28 ft that leaves me about a foot short. I tap it in and earn par. Still in first place with a -1

Hole 3 - Par 3 - 204 yard drive leaves me 4 yards from the hole. I sink an 18 ft birdie. I am now in 1st with a two stroke lead at -2.

Hole 4 - Par 4 - 252 yard drive leaves me 88 yards from the pin. I hit it 73 yards and I am about 15 yards short. 19 yard shot leaves me 4 yards short. I then sink the 12 foot putt for par. I am still sit in 1st with a two stroke lead and a -2.

Hole 5 - Par 4 - 301 yard bomb leaves me 109 yards from the hole. My second shot goes 97 yards and is 12 yards short. I hit a 34 ft putt that stops about a foot away. I tap in the putt for par and a 3 stroke lead at -2.

Hole 6 - Par 4 - 247 yard drive followed up with a 185 yard shot. I am 45 yards away from the pin. My 3rd shot goes 45 yards and hits the flag and rolls about 2 ft from the cup. I tap in the putt for par and I am now in the lead by 4 strokes and a -2.

Hole 7 - Par 5 - 269 yard drive. 207 yard shot lands on the green and I have a chance at eagle if I can sink a 22 ft putt. I come up a foot short and tap it in for birdie. I take a 6 stroke lead with a -3.

Hole 8 - Par 3 - 156 yards off the tee and I am in a bunker. Hell of a recovery sees the dig out land 3 yards from the hole. I drain the 9 ft putt for par. I am still in the lead by 6 strokes and a -3.

Hole 9 - Par 4 - Coming around the back I drive it 274 yards, leaving me 141 yards away from the pin. I hit the second shot 134 yards, leaving me 7 yards short. I putt for birdie but it pulls up short by about 2 ft. I tap in the par putt and head out to the back nine in the lead by 6 strokes and a -3.

Hole 10 - Par 5 - 266 yard drive sees me about 292 yards from the hole. 234 yard second shot sees me about 58 yards away. My wedge shot lands at 57 yards, 3 feet from the cup. I tap it in for birdie and secure the lead by 8 strokes. I am now at a -4.

Hole 11 - Par 3 - People are starting to gather around and watch me play and forget the other players. I am putting on a clinic. I am in the groove. 196 yard drive leaves me 8 yards from the hole. I drain a 24 ft putt for birdie. The lead is now at 9 strokes and I am at a -5.

Hole 12- par 4 - 269 yard drive followed up by a 164 yard shot leaves me about 13 yards from the cup. I chip it 14 yards and I am about 2 yards from the pin. I sink the 6 ft putt for par. The lead is still there by 9 strokes and a -5.

Hole 13 - Par 4 - A 272 yard drive leaves about 72 yards from the pin. The second shot goes 72 yards and leaves me about 6 ft from the cup. I sink the putt and earn the birdie. The lead is now mine as is the tourney. I have to avoid any self destruction but par it all and I win easily. I am now up by 10 strokes and I am at a -6.

Hole 14 - Par 3 - 215 yard drive lands about 12 feet away from the flag. I sink the birdie put. I am now in the lead by 11 strokes and a -7.

Hole 15 - Par 4 - 271 yard drive followed by a 124 yard shot leaves the ball about 5 yards drom the pin. The putt wraps around the lip of the cup and doesn't drop. It is hanging there, I am literally on the lip of the cup, 1 inches away. I tap it in for par. Still in the lead by 11 strokes and a -7.

Hole 16 - Par 4 - I haven't paid much attention as I have been in the zone, but as I walk up to the green I noticed that not only is Ryan and the EA rep here but Hunter and Bubba are there and talking away and smiling. I 3 putt the hole and record a double bogey. The lead is down to 9 strokes and I am at a -5.

Hole 17 - Par 4 - A 263 yard drive leaves me 174 yards from the hole. I hit the shot and it is making a beeline right towards the hole. It bounces and hits the flag and drops down on the edge of the cup and rolls just a bit. The gallery is cheering and I at am asking did it go in. Well, I tap it in for birdie and I recover a stroke and secure the win with a 10 stroke lead and a -6.

Hole 18 - Par 5 - Another solid effort, this time I chip into the hole from 12 yards out and hit the pin. The tap in for par and it erupts around me.

I finish up winning by 10 strokes and a 6 under shot.

The EA guy comes up and shakes my hand patting me on the back yelling he has been given permission to push my sponsorship to the next level, I don't know what it means but it sounds good. Hunter and Bubba both greet me and I am introduced to the head of the American Amateur Championship and he extends an invite to me.

Everyone is laughing and cheering and I am excited. Both Bubba and Hunter pull me aside and let me know If I win the next tourney I will get the invite to the Masters and end up on tour and I won't have to worry much about work as long as I perform.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:10 PM   #10
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Well, I found out what pushing my sponsorship to the next level means. I live in a small apartment in Buffalo and I do not have a lot of space. I get home from the office and my kitchen is filled with boxes.

EA has provided me with a new set of clubs as well as grips.

I am also provided with all types of clothing from gloves, button down shirts, driver caps as well as bucket hats and socks.

I could be a walking billboard for EA now, I have their logo everywhere and on everything.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:46 AM   #11
MacroGuru
Coordinator

American Amateur Championshiop - Pebble Beach

I hate flying across the country, but I arrived just fine at SFO. They actually had a driver waiting for me and I was in a town car the entire ride to Pebble Beach. It wasn't bad and I was on the phone for the most part.

It looks like I will be doing training and the sponsors challenge all on the same day. I will be meeting up with Zach Johnson and learning how to play the short game.

Zach was a decent guy and he introduced me to Battle Golf. Basically, the winner of the hole is able to remove a club out of the losers bag.

We start on the 3rd hole which is a par 4. I drive and I am left with 97 yards to flag. I follow it up with an 88 yard pitch to the green leaving me with 9 yards to the hole. I then sink a 27 ft putt for birdie. Zach follows up with a birdie and we push the hole.

On to the 7th hole, a par 3. Drive it 91 yards and I am 6 yards away from pin. I miss a 22 ft put and tap in for par. Zach birdies the hole and pulls my driver out of the bag.

Final hole is the 10th hole, a par 4. Using my 3 wood I drive 245 yards off the tee and I am left with about 160 to the green. I over shoot the green going 166 and I am left with 7 yards to the pin. I miss the 22 ft putt and tap in for par. Zach hits a birdie and wins the challenge.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:52 AM   #12
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Zach and I walk over to the sponsors tent, Adidas. The challenge for this is to score even or better on the par 3's.

Zach wishes me luck and I head out to the first Par 3.

Hole 5, I drive into the rough from the tee. Chip in to 3 feet away from the cup and then tap it in for Par. I was lucky to escape that one.

Hole 7, I drive it 104 yards with a nice 6 ft putt left. Easy birdie hole right. Wrong, I hit it to soft and the putt dies on the lip. Par on the hole.

Hole 12, a long par 3. I drive it 209 yards and I am about 4 yards from the hole. I sink the 12 ft putt for a birdie and I am now at -1. I feel better about my chances now.

Hole 17, I drive it 170 yards and leave it 6 ft from the cup. Again my putt dies on me inches from the hole. I tap it in for par.

I win the sponsors challenge.

Adidas ends up giving me a ClimaCool Polo with Neon/Precinct and White/Black. I also receive a Formation Stripe Polo in Coast Blue / Matte Silver and White / Matte Silver.

I love the blue shirt, it matches my glove and grips.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:45 AM   #13
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Now I know the excitement wasn't there prior because I have been numb due to how fast this has all panned out for me. But I am golfing at Pebble Beach! I can't believe it. This is crazy.

Today I have noticed the wind is swirling, the last few courses I have been on, it was calm or just coming from one way. This wind is crazy.

Hole 1 - Par 4 - I drive it 268 yards, leaving myself 113 from the pin. I then hit it 107 yards, leaving me on the green and about 6 yards from the hole. I sink the 19 ft putt for Birdie. I am in the lead by 1 stroke and I am at -1.

Hole 2 - Par 5 - 294 yards off the tee leaves me about 227 yards from the cup. I then hit 211 yards and right into the bunker. I am about 17 yards from the hole. I chip out of the bunker going 22 yards and I am left with 6 yards from the hole. I over shoot my putt and miss it by a total of 7 ft. I drain the 7 footer for par. I am still in the lead by 1 stroke and at a -1.

Hole 3 - Par 4 - I drive off the tee and hit a tree and my shot falls out of bounds, lateral hazard. I then drive again, this time thinking I did enough to avoid the tree and I still hit it, but land in bounds. I have 295 yards to go. I hit it it about 60 yards out of dense brush and I am now around 232 yards to hole. I drive it 162 yards, leaving me 71 yards to the pin. I wedge it 61 yards leaving me 9 yards to the hole. I miss the 27 foot putt but tap it in, I quadruple bogey on the hole. I am now at a +3 and tied for 6th place.

Hole 4 - Par 4 - I start off sending it 265 yards off the tee, leaving me with about 70 yards to the pin. I hit it 48 yards and I am left with 22 to the pin. Wedge it about 24 yards leaving me with a 6 ft putt. I drain the putt for par. I am still tied for 6th and I am at a +3.

Hole 5 - Par 3 - I drive it 171 yards and into the bunker. It leaves me about 27 yards from the cup. I dig it out of the trap and it lands at 24 yards but rolls to a stop, about 10 inches from the cup. I tap it in for Par. What a recovery. I am now tied for 2nd, at +3.

Hole 6 - Par 5 - 259 yards off the tee leaves me with about 261 to the hole. I use the 3 hybrid and push it 174 yards leaving me with about 90 yards to go. I hit it 88 yards and leaving me with almost 3 yards to the pin. I miss the 10 ft putt for birdie and tap it in for par. I am now tied for 1st with a +3.

It appears Pebble Beach is starting to gather the victims close to her chest.

Hole 7 - Par 3 - I drive it 170 yards leaving me about 9 ft from the hole. I miss the birdie putt by inches. I tap it in for Par. I am still tied for 1st with a +3

Hole 8 - Par 4 - Tough hole to hit, I drive it 172 yards off the tee. About 254 yards to go. I hit it 131 yards leaving me with around 170 to the pin. I crush the next shot 168 yards landing it about 7 ft from the cup. I hit the putt for par. I am now the sole leader at a +3.

Hole 9 - Par 4 - I boom the drive off the tee, a perfect shot and it goes 301 yards, leaving me with 175 yards. I hit it 179 yards with about 9 ft left from the cup. I sink the putt for birdie! I still lead, but I am now at a +2 and I am in the lead by 3 strokes.

Hole 10 - Par 4 - 251 yards off the tee sees about 192 yards left. I over shoot this one at 206 yards, I am left with 14 yards to the pin, but I am on the edge of the green. I try the 43 ft putt and only miss it by a ft. I tap it in for par. I hold the lead by 4 strokes now with a +2.

Hole 11 - Par 4 - A deceptively short par 4 because of the shots that you have to take. I drive it 204 yards off the tee, leaving me with about 170 yards to the pin. I hit it 152 yards towards the hole, there is now 22 yards left. I chip it 17 yards and it rolls to about 5 yards from the pin. I miss the 15 ft putt for par and tap in for Bogey. I am still in the lead though with a +3. I am still leading by 4 strokes.

Hole 12 - Par 3 - This is a longer par 3. I drive it 216 yards pulling up about 14 ft from the pin. I am to soft on my putt, pulling up 2 ft short. I tap it in for par. I am leading by 4 strokes and a +3.

Hole 13 - Par 4 - 245 yards off the tee sees me about 163 yards from the pin. I then hit it a little harder than I wanted to and it rolls to about 9 yards from the cup. I sink a 27 ft putt for Birdie! Charge! I am in the lead by 6 strokes now with a +2.

Hole 14 - Par 5 - Unless I self destruct on the final four holes, I should be ok. 252 yards off the tee leaves it at around 333 yards to the pin. I am able to take it 212 yards with my 3 wood and leave it with about 123 yards left. I use a wedge and land it in a bunker about 17 yards from pin. I dig out with an 18 yard shot, leaving me just under 2 yards from pin. I sink the putt for par. I am in the lead now by 7 strokes and a +2.

Hole 15 - Par 4 - I need to maintain par golf and let the course do the rest to the others. A rocket from the tee with wind goes 309 yards leaving me with 95 yards to go. I wedge it 84 yards and rolls to a stop on the edge of the green. I have an easy path to the hole and drain the 33 ft putt for a birdie! It is loud with the cheering that erupts around me. I am in the lead by 9 strokes and I sit at a +1. The championship is now mine as long as I do not double bogey each of the final 3 holes and others birdie.

Hole 16 - Par 4 - 290 yards from the tee sees the ball at about 120 yards to the hole. I hit it 119 yards landing the ball about 4 yards from the hole. I missed the 12 ft putt and tap it in for par. Leading by 9 strokes still with a +1.

Hole 17 - Par 3 - I drive it 193 yards and land it close to 10 yards from the pin. I have a tough 30 ft putt. I line up, send to the hole and...it drops! Birdie! I am now in the lead by 10 strokes and even. The tournament is mine and I have all of the gallery watching me at 18. The cheers are loud as I am walking up to the tee box.

Hole 18 - Par 5 - I have only seen this hole on television. It is amazing live, breathtaking I would say. I tee off and send the shot 228 yards, leaving me roughly 292 yards to the hole. I then go for the gusto with a 3 wood sending it 196 yards but landing it in the rough, 104 yards out. I dig it out of the rough going to the hole, landing it about 3 yards shy of the cup. a 9ft putt goes in for birdie and the place goes wild. I finish with my 3rd straight win, this one by 11 strokes and a -1.

Everyone is there. Ryan flew out with my kids and they witnessed it, my EA Rep and then I notice a hint of green. A green jacket. The man approaches me and extends his hand.

"Amazing play, what a recovery, you didn't lose your mind out there. It was good to see. As you are well aware, the winner of the this championship is awarded amateur contender status for the Masters. I am here to extend that invite and look forward to seeing you there."

"Thanks" I stammer out and shake the gentleman's hand.

My EA rep notifies me EA is fully invested in me and he already has swagg sitting back at my apartment waiting for me. He also notifies me that I need to think about getting a house close to a course, because after the Masters, I will be on the Nationwide tour.

I finished Pebble Beach with:

92.9% Fairway in Reg
61.1% Green in Reg
25 Total Putts
1.4 Putts Per Green

When I get home I have more clubs, Series 3 & 4 as well as gloves, grips, button down shirts, driver caps and argyle socks.

Last edited by MacroGuru : 04-29-2012 at 11:06 AM.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:08 AM   #14
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Wow, the Masters...I would never have imagined making it this far, let alone playing at Augusta National.

Lets hope I don't embarrass myself.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:42 PM   #15
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I arrive in Augusta early in the morning. I received a phone call last night from Bubba Watson, he was going to work with me and prepare me for the course.

We go out and we talk at the driving range and the putting green, but the biggest thing he tells me is to get used to this course kicking your ass. It is not nice to rookies, it is not nice to those who are not mentally prepared for it.

He then challenges me to a skins match. I take him up on it.

Hole 1 is a Par 4 that we both hit par on it. I had a chance for birdie with an 81 ft putt.

Hole 11 is a Par for that we push again with a par. Another long birdie putt chance for me.

Hole 16 is a par 3 that we both hit for par.

We now go into sudden death.

We end up playing the 16th hole twice and push it both times and then move over to the 11th hole. I hit bogey and Bubba hits a birdie. He ends up winning. He wishes me luck as we leave and tells me he hopes I make the cut.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:46 PM   #16
MacroGuru
Coordinator

The next day is the sponsors challenge, everyone is lined up on the 6th hole and the goal is to hit it within a combined 20 yards of the pin with 3 shots.

Hole 6 is a short par 3 with a bit of a slope on the challenge.

I line up my first shot, base it upon wind and slant of the course and let it rip. It bounces and rolls above the hole and then right into the hole! A HOLE IN ONE! I ACE IT! The crowd is roaring and I am laughing and smiling.

The second shot lands within 3 yards of the hole and the 3rd shot lands within 2 yards of the hole. I win the challenge and I was awarded best shot of the day with the hole in one.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:10 PM   #17
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I would be lying to say my heart wasn't in my throat. My hands are sweating, I am nervous as all get out and I am only hoping to survive the day and make the cut. I went back and looked and some history, this course tends to chew up and spit out amateur contenders in small pieces.

I notice it is a windy day and it is swirling all over, I am not the best in the wind.

Round 1

Hole 1 Tea Olive - Par 4 - A 236 yard drive sees about 209 to the hole. I ratchet off a 202 yard shot landing me about 7 yards from the pin. I miss the 14 ft putt by about 2 feet. I tap it in for par. I am tied for 17th and even.

Hole 2 Pink Dogwood - Par 5 - I launch a 283 yard drive off the tee. It lands and I am about 285 yards from pin. I shoot it 238 yards and I am now 60 away. I hit it 64 yards and land on the green at 8 yards from the hole. The 24 foot birdie putt I miss by 4 feet. I tap it in for Par. I am now tied for 19th and I am even.

Hole 3 Flowering Peach - Par 4 - 262 yards off the tee leaves me about 95 yards from the hole. An 80 yard wedge sees me land about 15 yards from the pin, but I am on the green. I miss the 46 ft put and tap it in for Par. I am still tied for 19th and even. I am only down by 2 strokes and I am feeling good about myself.

Hole 4 Flowering Crab Apple
- Par 3 - A long par 3 sees me drive 223 yards off the tee and into the bunker. I am 22 yards from the pin. I dig it out and land about 6 feet from the pin. I putt, should be a sure thing but nerves got the best of me and I miss by inches. I tap in for Bogey. I am now tied for 33rd and at a +1.

Hole 5 Magnolia - Par 4 - I hit it 252 yards off the tee and I am left with 185 yards to the hole. I then send the shot 180 yards and it rolls to the stop just over 2 yards to the hole. I miss the putt, sending it long and tap it in for par. I am still tied for 33rd and at a +1

Hole 6 Juniper - Par 3 - I am not as lucky this time around as I was in the challenge. I hit the shot from tee 194 yards and I am left in the rough 12 yards out. I then chip and it bounces and rolls towards the pin. It has some speed as it was going straight into the cup but it hits the pin and bounce out landing about 9 inches from the hole. I tap it in for par. I move up one spot, tied for 32nd and sitting at a +1, I am only 3 strokes away.

Hole 7 Pampas
- Par 4 - I drive it 252 yards leaving about 200 yards to the flag. I then hit a shot 183 yards, I am only 20 yards away from the pin. I chip it 23 yards and land it on the green 4 yds from the hole. I miss the 12 ft putt for par, and then hit it short and off to the left. I tap it in for double bogey. All I can hear is Bubba's words telling me this course will eat me alive. I drop to 66th and I am tied in that spot with a +3.

Hole 8 Yellow Jasmine - Par 5 - I drive it 260 yards from the box and I am left with 285 yards to the green. I hit it 218 yards with only 67 to go. I shank my shot short at 52 yards out, leaving 15 yards to the hole. I chip the birdie shot up about 9 yards and it rolls to a stop about 6 yards from the hole. I sink the 17 ft putt for par. I am still tied for 66th and I am at a +3

Hole 9 Carolina Cherry
- Par 4 - I hit the ball a solid 194 yards but it bounces into the rough on the edge of the fairway. I have about 286 yards to the green. I hit it 190 yards leaving me with roughly 72 to the hole. I then over shoot it 56 yards leaving me with 15 yards to the hole. I put it up on the green 9 yards from the hole and 2 putt it to finish with a double bogey. I drop to a tie at the 83rd spot and a +5

Hole 10 Camelia - Par 4 - My farthest drive of the day so far catches the wind and a slope and goes 308 yards. I follow it up with a 172 yards to the green, landing about 10 yards from the cup. I then sink a 30 ft putt for birdie. The crowd erupts and it is deafening. I save a little face heading into Amen corner. I am now tied for 74th with a +4.

For those who do not know, the second shot at the 11th, all of the 12th, and the tee shot at the 13th hole at Augusta are nicknamed "Amen Corner". A lot of amazing Masters moments have taken place on this corner.

Hole 11 White Dogwood - Par 4 - I drive off the tee at 220 yards. I send my second shot as I hit amen corner 175 yards. My third I follow up with 113 yards and landing 3 ft away from the hole. I tap it in for par. I am still tied at 74 and at a +4

Hole 12 Golden Bell
- Par 3 - 137 yards off the tee right into a bunker. I dig myself out landing the shot 3 feet from the cup, the crowd roars with approval on the save. I then tap it home for par. I am tied at 74th with a +4.

Hole 13 Azalea - Par 5 - I drive it of the tee, it hits a tree on the left side and drops straight down into the water. Sigh, this course is killing me. I drive it 172 yards, then follow that up with a 165 yards. I miss the 46 ft putt and follow that up missing a 4 ft putt. I tap in for Double Bogey. I am now tied at 89 and I have a +6. I was hoping to escape the corner unscathed and I didn't.

Hole 14 Chinese Fir - Par 4 - 241 yards off the tee. I then hit it 193 yards. My 42 ft putt was on it's way and I thought I had it in, but it pulls up short. I tap it in for par. I am still tied at 89th and a +6.

Hole 15 Firethorn - Par 5 - My drive goes 278 yards. It is followed up by 204 yards. My third shot is 55 yards and rolls to a stop 2 yards from the cup. I sink the 6 ft putt for birdie and the crowd erupts. I am now tied for 83rd and I am at a +5.

Hole 16 Redbud - Par 3 - 159 yards off the tee sees me on the green about 6 yards out. I hit a solid put and it kisses the lip of the cup and spins a bit. I am 10 inches from the cup. I tap it in for par. I could have used that birdie putt. I am still tied for 83rd and at a +5.

Hole 17 Nandina - Par 4 - A 243 yard drive sees me about 197 yards out. I follow that up with a 172 yard shot into the bunker. I dig out of the bunker landing about 3 yards from the pin. I then sink the 9 ft putt for par. Still tied at 83rd with a +5.

Hole 18 Holly - Par 4 - I line up from the tee box, take a deep breath and drill the shot. It goes 256 yards out. My second shot is a 177 yards right towards the green. My third shot I wedge it up on the green landing it about 6 feet away from the cup and I tap it in for par. I finish the round tied at 83 and with a +5

Augusta National chewed me up pretty hard. I am sitting in the back of the back and I need solid play the next day to make the cut. The wind is all over, my caddie has not been much help and I am not able to control my shots as well as I have been. I am truly hoping tomorrow is a better round.

Last edited by MacroGuru : 04-29-2012 at 04:34 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:16 PM   #18
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Round 2

Hole 1 Tea Olive - Par 4 - First shot, 225 yards. Second shot, 188 yards. Third shot, 25 yards. I then sink the 18 ft putt for par. I am tied at 83 with a +5

Hole 2 Pink Dogwood - Par 5 - My longest drive ever, 339 yards. Second shot, 239 yards puts me up on the green about 7 yards from the pin. the 21 ft put misses by about 4 ft. I then tap it in for birdie. I don't have the crowd I had yesterday but they were still loud. I am now tied for 74th and I am at a +4.

Hole 3 Flowering Peach - Par 4 - 294 yards off the tee. Second shot, 46 yards and lands 4 yds from the hole. I miss the birdie putt by inches and tap in for par. I am tied for 74th and at a + 4.

Hole 4 Flowering Crab Apple
- Par 3 - 225 yards off the tee right into a bunker. I pitch out and land it 8 yards out. The 24 ft putt missed by inches. I tap in for bogey. I am not tied for 83rd and at a +5.

Hole 5 Magnolia - Par 4 - First Shot, 255 yards. Second Shot, 195 yards. Third shot, 19 yards. I then 3 putt the hole to end with a double bogey. The wheels are falling off. I am tied for 92nd and I am at a +7

Hole 6 Juniper - Par 3 - My favorite hole ends up biting back at me as I flub my chip shot and end up sinking a putt for bogey. I am tied for 94th and at a +8. I just want to call it a day.

Hole 7 Pampas
- Par 4 - I am able to recover a little and par the hole. Still tied for 94th and a +8.

Hole 8 Yellow Jasmine - Par 5 - I end up missing a birdie chance by inches and finish with a par on the hole. Tied for 94th and at a +8.

Hole 9 Carolina Cherry
- Par 4 - I choke on the 9th, the green beats me up as I three putt and end up with a bogey. I am still tied at 94th but I am now at a +9.

Hole 10 Camelia - Par 4 - A slight recovery as I par the hole and head into amen corner tied for 94th and a +9.

Hole 11 White Dogwood - Par 4 - The beginning of the corner eats me alive as I hit into the water and end up with a triple bogey on the hole. I am sitting at 95th with a +12. I just want the day over with.

Hole 12 Golden Bell
- Par 3 - I take a few deep breaths and relax as the 11th rattled me. I end up with a par on the hole. I am still 95th with a +12

Hole 13 Azalea - Par 5 - 13 was kind as I finish with a par here. Still at 95th with a +12.

Hole 14 Chinese Fir - Par 4 - I start to get a little confidence back when I nail a 27 ft putt for birdie. I am still 95th but I am now at a +11.

Hole 15 Firethorn - Par 5 - The par 5 here was extremely kind as I chip on from 30 yards out and the ball rolls to a stop 6 feet away. I tap it in for birdie. Still sitting at 95th but I have dropped to a +10.

Hole 16 Redbud - Par 3 - A shot of the tee sees me in the bunker again. I manage to dig myself out and finish with a par. I am in 95th place with a +10

Hole 17 Nandina - Par 4 - I managed to par the hole and head to the last hole with a +10.

Hole 18 Holly - Par 4 - Of course I have to finish in front of everyone with one of my worst scores in a long time. I finish the 18th with a bogey and a +11.

As I walk into the club house knowing I did not make the cut, I am devastated. Bubba was right, this course is crazy. By the end of the day I finish 93rd and +11.

92.9% Fairways in regulation
44.4% Greens in regulation
30 Putts
1.7 Putts Per Green

My putting killed me on the course, I think I probably would have finished about 4 or 5 strokes less if I would have hit some pivotal putts.

Needless to say, I am heading out to the Nationwide tour with EA Sports and Cleveland Golf as sponsors.

Last edited by MacroGuru : 04-29-2012 at 05:31 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:26 AM   #19
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I haven't forgot this, just RL has interfered some with my gaming. I do have a round done, I just have to post it.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:57 PM   #20
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Alright...I have to bring this back to light and will start a new dynasty tomorrow.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:56 AM   #21
Izulde
Head Coach

In Soviet Russia, Augusta destroys you.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:03 AM   #22
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I have some updates for this I will probably post later tonight.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:23 AM   #23
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Sweet
Old 04-24-2013, 09:43 PM   #24
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Well, time to truck on and push through the Nationwide Tour

The North American Open @ Kiawah Island Ocean Course

I can't find a course map anywhere for this course, it's like the PGA or Kiawah are keeping it a secret, there is an interactive tour at the site.

The field isn't like what I saw at The Masters, and I get through Round 1 with a -3 and the lead. (I played through this and lost my record of the round)

Round 2

Hole 1 - Par 4 - I manage to birdie the whole with a great putt and I am now -4
Hole 2 - Par 5 - Sees me in a bunker and unable to putt, I 3 putt this hole and I am back to -3.
Hole 3 - Par 4 - Clean drive, clean chip, clean putt. Textbook birdie, -4
Hole 4 - Par 4 - I was all over the fairway and had a 2 putt bogey, -3
Hole 5 - Par 3 - Par on the hole as I missed a 21' birdie putt by inches, -3
Hole 6 - Par 4 - Ended up going with a 2 putt on this hole for Par, -3
Hole 7 - Par 5 - I had a chance for eagle and ended up choking on my own excitement and went 3 putt for Par, -3
Hole 8 - Par 4 - I ended up with too much club on the drive and went off into the trees. I recovered with a par. -3
Hole 9 - Par 4 - What should have been a simple putt went wide and I ended up with a bogey, -2
Hole 10 - Par 4 - The short game came alive on this one as I chipped within inches of the hole and tapped in for Birdie, -3
Hole 11 - Par 5 - My chance to gain strokes is hampered by my putting as I 3 putt another Par 5. -3
Hole 12 - Par 4 - I have shared the lead for most of this round and with a birdie on this hole I take sole possession of the lead. - 4/Leader
Hole 13 - Par 4 - The clubs wake up and are kind to me. Another Birdie, -5/Leader
Hole 14 - Par 4 - I was a little cocky and this hole knocked me down a notch as I bogey. -4/Leader
Hole 15 - Par 4 - Managed to sink a long putt for birdie. -5/Leader
Hole 16 - Par 5 - And my 3 putts on Par 5's disappear as I sink the 1st putt for Birdie. -6/Leader.
Hole 17 - Par 3 - Did not place the ball well off the tee. Ended up with a 50' putt for Birdie, missed it but closed it off for par. -6/Leader
Hole 18 - Par 4 - Finish the round with power is what I have been taught and I did here as I putt for birdie and a nice 9 stroke lead. -7/Leader.

Last edited by MacroGuru : 04-25-2013 at 06:27 AM.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:27 AM   #25
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Round 1 Final Score - 69
Round 2 Final Score - 68

Round 2 Stats:

Fairways in Regulation - 92.9%
Greens in Regulation - 88.9%
Total Putts - 31
Putts Per Green - 1.7

Top 4 scores at the end of Round 2 after me: +2, +3, +4, +4

My competition hit the self destruct button.

Last edited by MacroGuru : 04-25-2013 at 06:28 AM.