Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-15-2011, 10:31 AM   #5901
MJ4H
Coordinator

Good, it's time to move forward, not hold on to silly things like that. Texas did the same crap with Arkansas and lo and behold, we found out it didn't really bother us that much. Spite is not a pretty thing to see.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 11:33 AM   #5902
Scarecrow
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
This Mountain West/C-USA merger is one of the stupidest ideas I've ever heard and I have a bad feeling isn't not going to be enough to keep Boise State, who is the real crown jewel in terms of AQ status.

So instead of being a small, shitty conference, it's going to be a giant, shitty conference.

What would be smart for Boise would be to stand pat, wait for the Big East to implode, and then press for this new MWC/C-USA Conference to get the Big East's BCS auto-birth.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:49 AM   #5903
JeeberDMack
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post
Yep. And now that I've really thought it over, I do think all of the expansion options make a lot of sense for potential TV appeal as well:

UCF - Orlando is the number #19 market
Houston - #10 market
SMU - #5 market
Temple - #4 market
Boise State - #112 market
Air Force - #91 market
Navy - not in the top 200 markets

Boise isn't a great market, but they solidify the BCS AQ, which is obviously the #1 priority, and bring a quality program that will compete immediately. The military academies have big followings and have enough clout to have their own TV deal with CBS as it is. SMU and Houston both have winning programs with good coaches in gigantic markets and at least some level of football tradition. It sounds like Temple will get blocked by Villanova, so I assume the other 6 are in, but their program has improved greatly, and their market has great potential.

In any case, 6 of those replacing two teams that were below .500 combined in their BE conference history:

Syracuse - #81 market
Pittsburgh - #23 market

It's not exactly the SEC, but it's probably an improvement in every way outside of basketball.

Neither SMU nor Houston draw worth shit, you can hardly say they'll bring the TV market they're in. DFW is a UT market and Houston is a pro sports market.

That being said, hopefully both schools realize that the BE is going down and that they, along with Boise, decide to give this "merger" a try. We need the strength of their programs to give it any sort of legitimacy...
JeeberDMack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 12:00 PM   #5904
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberDMack View Post
Neither SMU nor Houston draw worth shit, you can hardly say they'll bring the TV market they're in. DFW is a UT market and Houston is a pro sports market.

That being said, hopefully both schools realize that the BE is going down and that they, along with Boise, decide to give this "merger" a try. We need the strength of their programs to give it any sort of legitimacy...

Expansion is about potential. If/when SMU and Houston play BCS football, more people will care and watch. It didn't take long for Louisville, Cincinnati and USF to find themselves in the top 10 and playing in highly rated prime time games on ESPN after joining the BE.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 12:53 PM   #5905
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
What would be smart for Boise would be to stand pat, wait for the Big East to implode, and then press for this new MWC/C-USA Conference to get the Big East's BCS auto-birth.

I'm hearing both Boise and Air Force are now staying put, so good for that. I just don't see this merger lasting any more than five years before it breaks up. Nor do I have faith in Hauck's ability to have UNLV's program built up by the time it disintegrates.

That's actually the most frustrating thing about the whole thing. UNLV and Las Vegas in general would be fanatical if the football team was any decent. Shit, the basketball team has gotten fantastic support even in the down years so if the football team could just get good, the school could be a lot more attractive, overall academics aside (but that's another rant).

Then maybe we could finally get that on-campus stadium too that's been talked about off and on.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 05:13 PM   #5906
General Mike
Pro Starter

Boise and Air Force are coming, and they are gonna like it.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 06:06 PM   #5907
Izulde
Head Coach

The Big East needs to just die as a football conference already. Let it rock socks as a hoops conference, but it's a gridiron sham.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 06:25 PM   #5908
timmynausea
College Starter

Pete Thamel tweet:

Quote:
My read on the Boise president's comments is that they're willing to go to the Big East. No denials or disinterest there.

He also said that the Big East invites won't be issued until after Monday's vote to increase the exit fee.

And here's an AP tweet:

Quote:
Boise president Kustra to AP's @arniestapleton:"it seems like our responsibility is to get as close as we can to AQ status."
Old 10-16-2011, 09:31 PM   #5909
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Oh geez, I just laughed way too loud again:

I love these - and their platform seems relevant to this thread - Occupy Herbstreit | Occupy Herbstreit movement - Our 13 Demands
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tumblr_lt1556CG3o1r4cih1o1_1280.jpg (348.2 KB, 393 views)
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:03 AM   #5910
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Sounds like Mizzou is on target to move at roughly same pace as A&M move. A&M took 17 days to give B12 official notice they were leaving the Big 12. They were accepted as members of SEC within a week.

This Friday will be 17 days for Mizzou. Local radio reporting that Board of Curators will meet later this week and vote to leave the Big 12.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:09 AM   #5911
molson
General Manager

So those Big East invites must have gotten lost in the mail I guess.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:42 AM   #5912
MacroGuru
Coordinator

BYU AD officially came out and made a statement in an interview before the Oregon State game.

There has yet to be an offer from the Big 12, there is still a lot of negotiating going on...The world knows what BYU's stance on Sunday play is, and as far as BYUtv, those who watched saw the production of the game from the University on Saturday (BYU vs Oregon State)....Tom did say it's a non factor or something of it's like in the interview.

So basically, they are hashing things out, I think if Mizzou does leave...you see it become more than hashing things out.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:51 AM   #5913
Scarecrow
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
BYU AD officially came out and made a statement in an interview before the Oregon State game.

There has yet to be an offer from the Big 12, there is still a lot of negotiating going on...The world knows what BYU's stance on Sunday play is, and as far as BYUtv, those who watched saw the production of the game from the University on Saturday (BYU vs Oregon State)....Tom did say it's a non factor or something of it's like in the interview.

So basically, they are hashing things out, I think if Mizzou does leave...you see it become more than hashing things out.

In my unsupported belief, the BYU/Big XII (non)agreement has more to do with BYUtv than it does Sunday gameplay. Hell, the Big XII members are still arguing over the Longhorn Network, and now they want to add another network?

Off the top of my head, the only game on Sunday is a game-of-the-week type thing in Men's basketball.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:57 AM   #5914
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Off the top of my head, the only game on Sunday is a game-of-the-week type thing in Men's basketball.

Yeah, there's not much Sunday scheduling in football or basketball. Even the conference basketball tourney now runs Wed-Sat, so no issues if they were to get to the final. No Sunday games is easily resolved through scheduling.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:04 AM   #5915
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

no, the networks want the Sunday option for Basketball tournament, etc..

Last edited by SirFozzie : 10-17-2011 at 11:04 AM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:03 PM   #5916
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
So those Big East invites must have gotten lost in the mail I guess.

Over the weekend NYT writer Pete Thamel, among others, tweeted that the Big East invites wouldn't go out until after Monday's vote to up the exit fee.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:00 PM   #5917
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Missouri Moves Closer to Joining SEC - NYTimes.com
Old 10-17-2011, 07:06 PM   #5918
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

dola

Looks like Alabama is helping decide where Mizzou lands.....

Alabama would support adding Missouri if those Tigers, not Auburn, play in the East | al.com
Old 10-17-2011, 07:38 PM   #5919
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

It does seem that West Virginia and Missouri are by far the best choices for the SEC, barring Oklahoma suddenly having a change of heart and leaving the Big XII without its State. Hard to recommend one all that much over the other. There are pros and cons to each choice.

As far the automatic BCS qualifications go...

1) The current format *only* applies to slots for the next two years (bowls in 2012-13 and 2013-14).

2) No league can lose its spot for the next two years. The Big East is safe (and the only one of the top six leagues that wouldn't automatically qualify under the current rules).

3) It's based on conference membership as of December of this year. So no change today would affect anything.

4) The only conference that could "move up" is the Mountain West. Barring an historic collapse from Boise State in conference play, the Mountain West will be in a position where it will not gain automatic promotion, but will gain the right to petition the executive committee for an automatic bid. However, because the Mountain West is losing TCU, I don't see how the committee could rule in its favor.

5) Presumably, a new BCS agreement will take shape in 2014 reflecting the new landscape. I see the USA/Mountain merger as designed to have an influence on that arrangement. I don't think there's anything the Big East can do to preserve its influence. Last year's Oklahoma/Connecticut blowout didn't leave many warm fuzzies. The system should not produce a BCS team that's not even in the top 25.

6) But that would leave more slots open for a top team to gain an at-large spot. Maybe pigs will fly and we'll get that long-awaited playoff.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:11 PM   #5920
bronconick
College Starter

That merged league has too much dead weight to get consideration from the BCS. There are a handful of teams that have MAC level attendance, and your BCS "score" is going to be destroyed by a 22 team conference multiplier.

Honestly, I think the best shot at a playoff would be this season. Get Alabama/LSU and Oklahoma undefeated. Stanford and Wisconsin run the table. Suddenly, the two conferences most against a playoff get to eat their words of always preferring a Rose Bowl over a national title shot.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:26 PM   #5921
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
6) But that would leave more slots open for a top team to gain an at-large spot. Maybe pigs will fly and we'll get that long-awaited playoff.

Let me stop laughing long enough to remind you that they were already wanting to drop the "only two teams from any conference" BCS rule so it'll just go to the 3rd SEC or Big Ten team in a given year

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:43 PM   #5922
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Let me stop laughing long enough to remind you that they were already wanting to drop the "only two teams from any conference" BCS rule so it'll just go to the 3rd SEC or Big Ten team in a given year

SI

The fact remains that they've allowed the political pressure to enact a rule that gives a good, but not great, mid-major team a path to a BCS bowl. We see how those schedules help the mid-majors with Utah making that jump this year. 42-10 the last four years, the most favorable schedule possible (five home games in-conference, and no Oregon or Stanford), and the Utes are still winless in the Pac Twelve.

So we know the last thing they want is conference rematches in the bowls. They just want to avoid a repeat of UConn last season.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:16 PM   #5923
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
In my unsupported belief, the BYU/Big XII (non)agreement has more to do with BYUtv than it does Sunday gameplay. Hell, the Big XII members are still arguing over the Longhorn Network, and now they want to add another network?

I think it's both, but I'm buying that Sunday play is a huge issue -- and it has little if anything to do with football and men's basketball.

It does impact almost every other sport. The Big 12 schedules a lot of Olympic sports on Sundays -- weekend tournaments, soccer games and especially baseball. Plus, now you have to eliminate Sunday from all post season tournaments. This year alone the Big 12 has eight post-season tournaments playing on Sunday, which means you have to move all those tournaments up a day to accommodate BYU, and that will cut into attendance and exposure.

It's not necessarily a deal breaker, but I can understand some schools may not want to bend to the will of BYU and change the conference scheduling -- Baylor chief among them.

If Steve Young could play in the NFL on Sundays, why can't BYU's tennis and baseball team?

Last edited by kcchief19 : 10-17-2011 at 10:18 PM.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:48 PM   #5924
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
If Steve Young could play in the NFL on Sundays, why can't BYU's tennis and baseball team?

One is a personal choice, the other is deemed a no go by a LDS Church Owned University.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:44 AM   #5925
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Why do some Republicans get abortions? People aren't robots. Just because a group they belong to says something doesn't mean they have to.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:22 AM   #5926
kcchief19
Pro Starter

My point is that If the great great great grandson of Brigham Young can play on Sundays and the school has no problem with that, why can't the school's baseball team play on Sunday? I've never see the school or BYU condemn Steve Young for playing on Sundays.

I agree, it's a personal choice. If BYU doesn't want to play on Sundays, it can choose not to apply for the Big 12. If they join the Big 12, an athlete can choose not to play baseball or can choose to attend another school.

I don't see why the an entire conference should change its schedule and procedures ... And I say is as someone who thinks BYU would be a great addition to the Big 12 and would like to see it happen.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:02 AM   #5927
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
My point is that If the great great great grandson of Brigham Young can play on Sundays and the school has no problem with that, why can't the school's baseball team play on Sunday? I've never see the school or BYU condemn Steve Young for playing on Sundays.

I agree, it's a personal choice. If BYU doesn't want to play on Sundays, it can choose not to apply for the Big 12. If they join the Big 12, an athlete can choose not to play baseball or can choose to attend another school.

I don't see why the an entire conference should change its schedule and procedures ... And I say is as someone who thinks BYU would be a great addition to the Big 12 and would like to see it happen.

Of course the school wouldn't have a problem with it, it brings in recruits...the church honestly has no problem with it because it is his job. Although they encourage people to not accept jobs or positions that force them to work on Sunday.

An example of the other way is..

Eli Herring was an OL from BYU who was a projected 1st - 3nd round pick for the NFL. He declared before the draft that he wasn't going to play on Sundays due to religious reasons. The Raiders drafted him in the 6th round of the 95 draft.

He applauded and lambasted in Utah for his decision and it really brought up the rhetoric of how much should the church control your life in the media there. He is the seminary teacher at Mountain View High School and A football coach there.

But BYU would join if there was Sunday play, just know if they were scheduled on Sunday it would be a forfeit which doesn't bode well for ratings....see BYU womens rugby team

Last edited by MacroGuru : 10-18-2011 at 09:04 AM.
MacroGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:33 AM   #5928
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

PowerMizzou.com - Moving day approaches
Old 10-18-2011, 01:08 PM   #5929
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

I'm getting a Maximum sense of deja-vu from this thread
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 02:02 PM   #5930
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
I'm getting a Maximum sense of deja-vu from this thread

It's a glitch in the Matrix.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:29 AM   #5931
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Teel Time: ACC commissioner John Swofford closes door on partial Notre Dame membership - dailypress.com
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 03:04 PM   #5932
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Texas A&M president opens up about how Texas was looking to exit conference over two years ago while blaming other schools who left after that for the demise of the conference.............

http://www.12thmanfoundation.com/mem...d-article.aspx

Discussion on today's MU BOC meeting..........

PowerMizzou.com - Conference closure coming soon?

Article concerning MU and A&M's future in the SEC.

Why Missouri and Texas A&M Football Will Thrive In the SEC : Outkick The Coverage

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 10-20-2011 at 03:05 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:05 AM   #5933
Swaggs
Coordinator

Big 12 commish has reportedly advised the Big East commish that he will be contacting 4 BE schools about potential openings in the Big 12. Thought to be WVU, Louisville, Cincy, and UConn. Obviously take with a grain of salt.

Not sure how that would work out. If Missouri leaves, that leaves 9 teams in the Big 12, so adding 4 new ones would get the conference up to 13 (+ maybe BYU to 14?) or maybe they want to see how much overlap there is between the markets in Cincy and Louisville (who has seemed like a favorite for the Big 12 for awhile now).
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:06 AM   #5934
Swaggs
Coordinator

Dola...

Also heard that the Big 12 owns the rights to the name "Big 14" (not that it really means anything).
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:23 AM   #5935
Ksyrup

Maybe the tactic is to offer 4 schools with 3 openings, hoping that makes at least 3 of them more willing to immediately jump rather than sit back? If we half-believe the other rumors out there, WVU still thinks it has a shot at the SEC, and UCONN wants into the ACC. Maybe this is a way of prompting them to join the Big 12 now or potentially miss out. Eseentially, forcing them to play musical chairs.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 10-21-2011, 01:37 PM   #5936
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Dola...

Also heard that the Big 12 owns the rights to the name "Big 14" (not that it really means anything).

Big 12 owns the rights to Big 12, Big 13, Big 14, Big 15, and Big 16
Old 10-21-2011, 01:42 PM   #5937
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

VERY interesting move by the Mizzou Board of Curators. While not officially leaving the Big 12, they announced that Mizzou plans to host a basketball tournament in KC along with a yearly game against a 'traditional rival' in KC. That would seem to be a move to pacify the criticism by KC officials that Mizzou was leaving KC high and dry if they moved to another conference. As a result, they're guaranteeing that the city keeps at least two college basketball tourneys in KC (Guardians Classic and Mizzou tourney) each year and guarantees that a football game (likely KU) stays on the calendar.

PowerMizzou.com - Missouri remains in the Big 12...for now

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 10-21-2011 at 01:43 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:43 PM   #5938
Ksyrup

Looks like the Mizzou thing is finally going to happen. Will be interesting to see what Neinas does/says about Mizzou saying they'll begin play next year (assuming they leave).
Old 10-21-2011, 01:44 PM   #5939
Ksyrup

Also, that leaves a hole for the Big 12 if they go after Big East teams and they intend to make them stay 27 months.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:45 PM   #5940
Ksyrup

Any news/rumors on how the division alignment issue was (or will be) worked out with aTm and Mizzou both joining?
Old 10-21-2011, 01:46 PM   #5941
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

You got it backwards. Missouri isn't joining the SEC. The SEC is joining Missouri.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:50 PM   #5942
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Any news/rumors on how the division alignment issue was (or will be) worked out with aTm and Mizzou both joining?

Everything I've heard said that Mizzou will be in the East. That was the option that was acceptable to all parties. Probably will move to West once they go to 16 teams.

Another article on the Mizzou meeting.

Missouri Tigers give chancellor authority to strike deal - ESPN
Old 10-21-2011, 02:03 PM   #5943
Ksyrup

I guess that makes sense. Come visit Lexington, site of one of the few SEC gimme wins.
Old 10-21-2011, 02:10 PM   #5944
bronconick
College Starter

The Southwest and Northeast divisions of the Southeastern Conference
Old 10-21-2011, 02:34 PM   #5945
MJ4H
Coordinator

Florida isn't very northeast
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 02:39 PM   #5946
lungs
Pro Rookie

Why not come up with something like Legends and Leaders?
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 02:57 PM   #5947
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
Florida isn't very northeast

No, they're east. Kentucky, Missouri and Vandy are "north".
Old 10-21-2011, 03:20 PM   #5948
tarcone
Coordinator

It could be Beaus and Belles
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 04:21 PM   #5949
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
It could be Beaus and Belles