Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-05-2023, 08:31 PM   #601
cuervo72
Head Coach

This team is 0-4 how, again?
Old 10-05-2023, 08:36 PM   #602
Atocep
Coordinator

Up until last week Fields had been awful. Like really awful. However, coming into tonight he was still on pace for the 3rd most passing yards in a season for a Bears QB. Oh, 17 games? Ok, remove the 17th game and he was still on pace for a top 5 season in franchise history.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 08:45 PM   #603
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Fields looked great for moments last year too & there doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to how or when he is going to show up. If this guy shows up for 9 games the Bears are legit trouble for anyone...if he shows up for 3 or 4 games a year he's the worst kind of albatross.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 08:46 PM   #604
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Well, Chicago blew a big lead to Denver and Washington overcame a big deficit to Denver so I'm still hopeful this could become a competitive game.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 08:57 PM   #605
cuervo72
Head Coach

Yeah, I'm kinda thinking I'm going to find out in this second half.
Old 10-05-2023, 10:26 PM   #606
Atocep
Coordinator

DJ Moore has played 5 games as a Bear and I'm declaring him the best receiver in team history.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 10:32 PM   #607
Bobble
College Prospect

I'm a Fields fan but some of those completions were lucky not to be picks. The last TD... Couple of straight-up misses too. A few dimes but too inconsistent to call Fields "back" or whatever. Anxious to see another JT O'Sullivan review on Fields when that comes out.

Hat's off to the Bears, though. So many injuries -- O-line, and basically running out of running backs -- yikes, but they fought through it and got the win.

Last edited by Bobble : 10-05-2023 at 10:32 PM.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 11:09 PM   #608
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

How does anyone in DC still have a football job tomorrow?
Old 10-06-2023, 12:51 AM   #609
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Fields looked great for moments last year too & there doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to how or when he is going to show up. If this guy shows up for 9 games the Bears are legit trouble for anyone...if he shows up for 3 or 4 games a year he's the worst kind of albatross.

So, he's Rex Grossman with more variance.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 05:31 AM   #610
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
I'm a Fields fan but some of those completions were lucky not to be picks. The last TD... Couple of straight-up misses too. A few dimes but too inconsistent to call Fields "back" or whatever. Anxious to see another JT O'Sullivan review on Fields when that comes out.

Hat's off to the Bears, though. So many injuries -- O-line, and basically running out of running backs -- yikes, but they fought through it and got the win.

I feel like the Bears have pretty much written off Fields having success in Chicago. Trade Fields, bring in Caleb Williams and let's see how the Bears develop him.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 06:56 AM   #611
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

The whole point of a stable-but-not-exciting coach like Ron Rivera is that your team does not lay an egg on random Thursday night games against shitty teams.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 07:17 AM   #612
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Fields 7-19 for 52 yards when not targeting Moore.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 07:40 AM   #613
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I feel like the Bears have pretty much written off Fields having success in Chicago. Trade Fields, bring in Caleb Williams and let's see how the Bears develop him.

I dig this! This is the PERFECT week to offload Fields. He had this "big" game where he performed so you can get a lot of draft picks and stuff for him to develop. Maybe even a nice veteran Defense guy or lineman
CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 07:46 AM   #614
stevew
Hall Of Famer

1 million (fake)dollars if anyone can name the bears backup.
Old 10-06-2023, 07:48 AM   #615
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Who even would want Fields? New England?
Old 10-06-2023, 07:54 AM   #616
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
1 million (fake)dollars if anyone can name the bears backup.

Wow. Great question. I have no idea. I'll guess Tyrod Taylor.
Old 10-06-2023, 07:54 AM   #617
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

dola: Just looked it up. So much funnier than I had expected.
Old 10-06-2023, 07:57 AM   #618
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

This says something about...something...
Old 10-06-2023, 07:59 AM   #619
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:

perfect ego for that team
Old 10-06-2023, 09:46 AM   #620
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:

Steelers?
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 09:52 AM   #621
Swaggs
Coordinator

https://stathead.com/tiny/3xAp5

I can't figure out how to embed the table, but Fields somehow looks better and is a year younger than Pickett.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 09:54 AM   #622
Ksyrup

Claypool to the Dolphins and an exchange of late-round picks in 2025.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 10-06-2023, 10:12 AM   #623
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Steelers?

Was watching some Kordell mix vid yesterday and wished we had a futuristic scheme like that now
Old 10-06-2023, 10:16 AM   #624
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Claypool to the Dolphins and an exchange of late-round picks in 2025.

Saw that, had to scratch my head. The espn depth chart slots him in behind Berrios, who has caught most of what's been thrown his way (13 rec/16 targets) soooooo ... what makes Miami think Claypool is going to be better behaved as a 3rd or 4th option than he was in Chicago?
Old 10-06-2023, 10:23 AM   #625
larrymcg421
Head Coach

After Berrios, Miami has major depth issues due to injuries. It may or may not work due to the reasons you stated, but it's a pretty painless price to pay to help shore up depth.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 10:29 AM   #626
bhlloy
Coordinator

Counterpoint - a swap of late round picks is basically meaningless as everybody is basically just getting a jump on guys they kinda like but don't want to risk not getting in FA at that point, and they are getting a guy who was talented enough to be a starter and have a second round pick spent on him a year before. It's a lottery ticket for a dollar.

More importantly though, how do you turn the 32nd overall pick into that a year later and still have a job?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 10:42 AM   #627
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Bringing in an aging vet to see if he has anything left in the tank is costless.

Bringing in a head-case comes with risk.
Old 10-06-2023, 10:44 AM   #628
molson
General Manager

Quote:

Straight-up for Mac, all day. Let's do this.

Last edited by molson : 10-06-2023 at 10:44 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 10:44 AM   #629
bhlloy
Coordinator

It really doesn't. He either shows he's willing to work as the WR4 and bust his ass, or you cut him in a couple of weeks.
Old 10-06-2023, 10:46 AM   #630
molson
General Manager

Him being bad isn't really a risk, bad players come and go, but does having to use up a disproportionate amount of staff and coaching resources needing to supervise and coddle and motiviate him in the middle of a playoff season create one?

Last edited by molson : 10-06-2023 at 10:47 AM.
Old 10-06-2023, 10:47 AM   #631
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post

Got to be one of the strangest QB arcs. From an overrated noodle arm who was only good because of Saban to a draft darling and riser, looking really promising and a steal in year 1 to being run out of town 4 games into year 3.
Old 10-06-2023, 10:56 AM   #632
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Got to be one of the strangest QB arcs. From an overrated noodle arm who was only good because of Saban to a draft darling and riser, looking really promising and a steal in year 1 to being run out of town 4 games into year 3.

And geez is he divisive in the fanbase. I know the offense sucks around him but he has clearly regressed as well. I don't get the loyalty to him most of the fans have. I think maybe they see the "normal" NFL fandom experience of cycling out failed QBs and can't come to terms with it, so, we're going to be pretend he's the guy.

But every take they've had about him was wrong. They celebrated McDaniels leaving because he was holding Mac back. They celebrated Patricia leaving (more reasonably to a point) and said he was the whole problem. Mac's on-field tantrums last year fueled it all more. But McDaniels and Patricia knew Mac's limitations, and McDaniels especially knew how to maximize what he had with him.

But he's actually been worse without Patricia. Which of course there's other excuses for now. I don't watch a ton of other teams' games, but I'm not sure I've ever seen an NFL QB just crumple under pressure and adversity as much as Mac did last week. He makes poor decisions, can't throw deep, isn't accurate, terrible footwork, easily rattled, isn't mobile, but other than, you know, he's solid.

I think there's a good chance they bottom out into a top-5 pick, especially with the injuries on defense, and I would bet better than 50/50 that they'd have a whole new regime, including the head coach and the QB, moving forward at that point.

Last edited by molson : 10-06-2023 at 10:58 AM.
Old 10-06-2023, 11:00 AM   #633
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

The fanbase of the loser of Saints/Pats this weekend is going to spiral down badly. Someone will come out of that game with a "We couldn't even beat them?" feeling.

Maybe it will be a 0-0 tie.
Old 10-06-2023, 11:05 AM   #634
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
The fanbase of the loser of Saints/Pats this weekend is going to spiral down badly. Someone will come out of that game with a "We couldn't even beat them?" feeling.

Maybe it will be a 0-0 tie.

Fun Fact!

The last 0-0 game was between the Giants and Lions in 1943!
Old 10-06-2023, 11:15 AM   #635
molson
General Manager

I think the last 0-0 game in college was Oregon/Oregon State in 1983. They got lots of rain in Eugene that day, I can confirm that's a common thing.
Old 10-06-2023, 11:36 AM   #636
Ksyrup

I know this is an NFL thread but I felt compelled.

Old 10-06-2023, 12:50 PM   #637
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
No thanks, but I would still like to see Fields traded. Two good games in a 30+ game career is nothing to get excited about. His numbers would be much worse if he wasn't throwing to a stud WR in Moore. Has Fields ever "thrown anyone open"? I haven't seen it.

Unless some amazing winning streak occurs my position about this team has not changed -- Poles and company need to go. Fields needs to go. The training staff needs to go. I won't openly root against them but the Bears are better served being in the Caleb Williams sweepstakes than winning 5 or 6 games.
Old 10-06-2023, 03:06 PM   #638
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Him being bad isn't really a risk, bad players come and go, but does having to use up a disproportionate amount of staff and coaching resources needing to supervise and coddle and motiviate him in the middle of a playoff season create one?

I mean....that's the staff's job. They aren't "wasting time". It's called "working".
Old 10-06-2023, 03:39 PM   #639
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

no one has suggested the Jets yet for fields
Old 10-06-2023, 03:52 PM   #640
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Saw that, had to scratch my head. The espn depth chart slots him in behind Berrios, who has caught most of what's been thrown his way (13 rec/16 targets) soooooo ... what makes Miami think Claypool is going to be better behaved as a 3rd or 4th option than he was in Chicago?

I think it's just a low-risk flyer. The Bears will pick very early in the 7th and the Dolphins will pick late in the 6th. So it's maybe like a 1-10 pick upgrade for the Bears late in the draft.

Claypool is a freak athlete so maybe the hope is that he'll be a better fit in this offense and will actually try since he's in a contract year. The guy has been terrible in Chicago but they also have one of the worst coaching staffs in the league.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 05:07 PM   #641
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Broncos released Randy Gregory in the 2nd year of a 5 year $70M deal. Wow. Let the Sean Payton housecleaning begin. Or tank job. Either way. Gregory has been a massive disappointment. Looked like a great signing last year.

Broncos trading Randy Gregory to 49ers, sources say - ESPN
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 11:43 AM   #642
Ksyrup

How does Etienne not sit at the 1 yard line there?
Old 10-08-2023, 12:20 PM   #643
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

The Falcons had a good offensive series. That might the one they are allowed per game, but I hope not.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Last edited by GrantDawg : 10-08-2023 at 12:20 PM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 12:48 PM   #644
bronconick
College Starter

Good of the Jags to get another home win.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 01:47 PM   #645
bhlloy
Coordinator

Ok, so it turns out Mac is absolutely awful. Holy crap.
Old 10-08-2023, 02:08 PM   #646
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

It won’t matter in 50 years, but Belichick is shitting on his legacy just so he can limp across the finish line and catch Shula
Old 10-08-2023, 02:11 PM   #647
GrantDawg

Ridder plays well, and it immediately causes the rest of the offense to collapse.

Old 10-08-2023, 02:30 PM   #648
GrantDawg

Bijan just caught a pass with one hand that was basically behind his back and ran in fir a touchdown. Crazy.

Old 10-08-2023, 02:49 PM   #649
cuervo72
Head Coach

/chuckles at the Ravens
Old 10-08-2023, 02:53 PM   #650
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Lots of New England fans already gone. I guess it’s what have you done for me lately.