Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-31-2023, 08:35 PM   #701
HerRealName
College Prospect

There is always a push and pull on these rankings when it comes to deserves vs analysis. I just think they leaned into the deserves side of the coin too much. Georgia and FSU have both beaten some decent teams this year so I would give them the nod. It's all meaningless at this stage in the season and next week they very well may go the other direction.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 09:23 AM   #702
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

I think I'm going to buy this, paint it yellow and blue, and hide it the next time I go to my Michigan friend's house.

Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 09:38 AM   #703
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

He may also have been wearing smart ray bans on the sideline

Old 11-01-2023, 12:38 PM   #704
miami_fan
Coordinator

Now I am starting to get interested in this sign stealing story. Can we get a photo of him in a team huddle?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 12:48 PM   #705
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Now I am starting to get interested in this sign stealing story. Can we get a photo of him in a team huddle?

How about talking to Harbaugh in a conference with refs?

https://twitter.com/MattatechS/statu...43143124803959
Old 11-01-2023, 12:56 PM   #706
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

I don't understand the people who think it didn't help. I get you don't know the exact play, but even knowing for certain if it's a run or pass is a pretty big help.

It's like knowing what type of pitch is coming in baseball. There's still a decent area where the ball can go left/right/up/down, but it's still one less variable you have to worry about. Or even which side a penalty kick is going to in soccer.

If anything the placebo affect of even thinking you have a leg up has to help with a player's confidence at the snap.
Old 11-01-2023, 01:22 PM   #707
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
I don't understand the people who think it didn't help. I get you don't know the exact play, but even knowing for certain if it's a run or pass is a pretty big help.

It's like knowing what type of pitch is coming in baseball. There's still a decent area where the ball can go left/right/up/down, but it's still one less variable you have to worry about. Or even which side a penalty kick is going to in soccer.

If anything the placebo affect of even thinking you have a leg up has to help with a player's confidence at the snap.

The Athletic did a survey of 50 coaches and the results mirror what you say here.

In college football, how much does knowing an opponent’s signals matter? Coaches weigh in - The Athletic
Old 11-01-2023, 01:31 PM   #708
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

I don't think that anyone believes that it would not help. I think people believe that everyone does it at some level. So the question is where do individuals draw that line. I do think that there has been a rush to get to the everyone does it phase of things that happen when someone is caught breaking one of these rules. I don't know if Michigan is the first school to be accused, investigated etc. for sign stealing but if they are I feel like there is supposed to be lots of morale outrage over a violation to the integrity of the sport blah blah blah. Like we all knew that players were receiving extra benefits but whenever the first ones or twos came to light, we would all clutch pearls and demand the death penalty. One day, usually when our favorite school got caught, we all would decide that getting the extra benefits were not that big of a deal and then we would enter the everyone does it phase so there was no big advantage gained.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 11-01-2023, 01:59 PM   #709
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

If everybody does it, I hope they are at least covering it up better than these chuckle-heads.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 07:00 AM   #710
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg
The committee is obvious in its attempts to get people up in arms. It is boring at this point.

That requires no effort whatsoever. There is no imaginable rankings which wouldn't have that effect.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 06:29 AM   #711
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Release the Manifesto!!!

Old 11-04-2023, 07:53 AM   #712
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Caught the end of Syracuse-BC (in case anyone was curious of how excited I am for an in-seasom NBA tournament) and saw the incredible stat that Dino Babers is now 0-32 at Syracuse when his team scores less than 20 points. Even in an era of high scoring offense that seems ... bad.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 08:55 AM   #713
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I hope Stalions got a huge payday for falling on his sword.

It's completely unbelievable that he spent all that money and then directly enhanced the gameplan without anyone else noticing.
Old 11-04-2023, 09:01 AM   #714
tarcone
Coordinator

This season has been a shit show and will continue with a lame duck OC. The rest of the schedule is boring. Its a good thing we have an elite punter and defense. Makes it watchable.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 09:28 AM   #715
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Release the Manifesto!!!

Time to shut down all of this nonsense. Harbaugh and the rest of the coaches knew nothing. Stalions was a rogue operative. Do you not trust the word of a Marine? Case closed!

Time to go back to our regularly programmed schedule of beating up on a bunch of nobodies.

What dumb season this has been.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 11-04-2023 at 09:38 AM.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 09:42 AM   #716
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I hope Stalions got a huge payday for falling on his sword.

It's completely unbelievable that he spent all that money and then directly enhanced the gameplan without anyone else noticing.
I think it is possible this was running this without the knowledge of Harbaugh, but Harbaugh definitely knew this guy's primary job was sign-stealing. I think he could have ran the scouting program out of pocket and had the staff convinced he was breaking codes from just game-film.

It would still be a team violation because he was a staff member doing it, and they still could be hit with LOIC because of it.
Old 11-04-2023, 09:53 AM   #717
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I think it is possible this was running this without the knowledge of Harbaugh, but Harbaugh definitely knew this guy's primary job was sign-stealing. I think he could have ran the scouting program out of pocket and had the staff convinced he was breaking codes from just game-film.

It would still be a team violation because he was a staff member doing it, and they still could be hit with LOIC because of it.

Possible but do you think it was probable? I'd go like 99.9% he knew that more than tv copy was used to build their laminated cheat sheets that they produced before each game.
Old 11-04-2023, 09:59 AM   #718
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post
Possible but do you think it was probable? I'd go like 99.9% he knew that more than tv copy was used to build their laminated cheat sheets that they produced before each game.
I would say 80/20 that someone else on staff above him knew what he was doing. I would say Harbaugh himself knew is probably 60/40. I think the strongest possibility is Harbaugh knew in a wink and a nod sort of way. He wasn't informed of everything going on, but he knew something was probably not up and up, and not to look at it too hard.
Old 11-04-2023, 10:11 AM   #719
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Time to shut down all of this nonsense. Harbaugh and the rest of the coaches knew nothing. Stalions was a rogue operative. Do you not trust the word of a Marine? Case closed!

This was the proper response from the beginning. You should be the next SID.
Old 11-04-2023, 10:14 AM   #720
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
I would say 80/20 that someone else on staff above him knew what he was doing. I would say Harbaugh himself knew is probably 60/40. I think the strongest possibility is Harbaugh knew in a wink and a nod sort of way. He wasn't informed of everything going on, but he knew something was probably not up and up, and not to look at it too hard.

That last part is what I was including in my 99.9%. I think he knew but I tend to think he didn't know specifics. The CMU angle is what has me wondering if he had even more insight considering shark boy worked at UM with Harbaugh before taking that CMU job.

According to one of the Michigan beat writers, Michigan received an overwhelming amount of evidence yesterday and that totally changed the situation. There's no telling what all we'll learn eventually.
Old 11-04-2023, 10:23 AM   #721
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post
That last part is what I was including in my 99.9%. I think he knew but I tend to think he didn't know specifics. The CMU angle is what has me wondering if he had even more insight considering shark boy worked at UM with Harbaugh before taking that CMU job.

According to one of the Michigan beat writers, Michigan received an overwhelming amount of evidence yesterday and that totally changed the situation. There's no telling what all we'll learn eventually.
But I was told this was all invented by Ryan Day's brother, so this will all end up with OSU getting the Death Penalty. At least that is what the Michigan boards are saying.
Old 11-04-2023, 10:44 AM   #722
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Give Cleveland State the death penalty and be done with it
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 10:48 AM   #723
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
But I was told this was all invented by Ryan Day's brother, so this will all end up with OSU getting the Death Penalty. At least that is what the Michigan boards are saying.

They're calling for Day to get arrested on RICO charges. It's great entertainment.
Old 11-04-2023, 11:15 AM   #724
tarcone
Coordinator

I think we are seeing the end of the NCAA as a ruling body. I imagine conferences will take care of their own going forward.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 11:40 AM   #725
Galaril
Pro Starter

Notre Dame playing a real team this week are going to get boat raced it seems.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 12:29 PM   #726
bronconick
College Starter

Coaches never ever learn that underdogs don't win upsets by kicking 20 yard field goals. It's so infuriating.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 12:38 PM   #727
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
Coaches never ever learn that underdogs don't win upsets by kicking 20 yard field goals. It's so infuriating.

Its Schiano though. Did you really expect anything else?
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 12:38 PM   #728
Ksyrup

I was just going to say, I got excited when I saw Rutgers up 9-7 and then saw they have FGs of 20, 21, and 22. Three shots inside the 5 and no TDs. Seems like an easy bet to lose in the 2nd half.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 11-04-2023, 12:44 PM   #729
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

It seems clear now that Stallions only resigned at UM so he could take a new job at Rutgers.
Old 11-04-2023, 12:51 PM   #730
HerRealName
College Prospect

Ohio State is so bad in every first half but at least they usually have a small lead. That fake punt was so, so bad.
Old 11-04-2023, 01:14 PM   #731
bronconick
College Starter

35-9 final.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 01:58 PM   #732
bob
College Starter

ND has had three consecutive possessions with a chnace to tie and have gone 3 and out each time. Let’s see if they do it again.

Edit - sorry, on the second possession they picked up 20 on first down. Then went three and out.

Last edited by bob : 11-04-2023 at 01:59 PM.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 02:07 PM   #733
bob
College Starter

Make that 4 in a row.

I’m fine if Sam Hartman doesn’t play again after this game. And Parker is a terrible OC
Old 11-04-2023, 02:11 PM   #734
bob
College Starter

And here we go again - 5th time?

Also, dumb of Clemson to not run that to at least keep the clock running
Old 11-04-2023, 02:14 PM   #735
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

There are few programs who seem to hate any whiff of prosperity in a game more than Ole Miss.

"OleMissing" is pretty much a verb now, like Clemsoning.
Old 11-04-2023, 02:16 PM   #736
bob
College Starter

Drive 5 with chance to score - thrown int.

Let’s see how attempt 6 goes
Old 11-04-2023, 02:21 PM   #737
bob
College Starter

Drive 6 - Hartman throws to random positions of the field that have no players. Turnover on downs.
Old 11-04-2023, 02:25 PM   #738
bob
College Starter

3 carries for Estime this half. Seriously, wtf
Old 11-04-2023, 03:02 PM   #739
Ksyrup

FSU without Keon Coleman AND Johnny Wilson and predictably struggling on offense. Yeah, it's Pitt, but you take away like 75% of the WR targets and that's tough.
Old 11-04-2023, 03:41 PM   #740
Ksyrup

Well, FSU is on serious upset alert. Pitt should be up a TD but the rest of our WRs are young and have no idea how to fight for a ball. Yeesh.
Old 11-04-2023, 03:57 PM   #741
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
3 carries for Estime this half. Seriously, wtf

They really need to join a conference……..the MAC.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 04:45 PM   #742
bob
College Starter

last six drives for ND gained 56 total yards.
Old 11-04-2023, 04:52 PM   #743
GrantDawg

Where are the GTech guys at? Y'all just won two game in a row for the first time in I don't know how long, and this game in pretty convincing fashion. Looks like Brent Key has the program going in the right direction.
Old 11-04-2023, 04:56 PM   #744
bob
College Starter

Don’t get me wrong, happy GT won but this messed up the lose one, win one thing that would have resulted in us beating Clemson and uGA
Old 11-04-2023, 04:57 PM   #745
bob
College Starter

Is uGAs field built on top of a sandbox?
Old 11-04-2023, 05:08 PM   #746
GrantDawg

We don't have to worry about an undefeated Air Force anymore.
Old 11-04-2023, 05:22 PM   #747
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Where are the GTech guys at? Y'all just won two game in a row for the first time in I don't know how long, and this game in pretty convincing fashion. Looks like Brent Key has the program going in the right direction.

Dude, it was Virginia, a team that I'd guarantee doesn't make the playoffs in half the Class 7A regions in the state.

Are they better than some recent teams? Yeah, probably so.

Do I have any delusion whatsoever that they're a) relevant and b) ever will be relevant? None at all.
Old 11-04-2023, 05:23 PM   #748
GrantDawg

As much as people hate on Gary Danielson and Brad Nessler, these guys calling the Georgia-Missouri game makes them look like the best commentator duo to every work.
Old 11-04-2023, 05:30 PM   #749
Ksyrup

Quote:
As much as people hate on Gary Danielson and Brad Nessler, these guys calling the Georgia-Missouri game makes them look like the best commentator duo to every work.

I'm not watching, but I turned it on for a few minutes and didn't understand what I was listening to. I haven't heard enough to know if it's bad, but it just sounds wrong.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 11-04-2023 at 05:31 PM.
Old 11-04-2023, 05:53 PM   #750
Ksyrup