Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-08-2011, 05:49 PM   #851
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
With the current from in the Premier League, people tend to forget that Manchester City has 0 experience at the Champions' League level.

Very true, but the biggest factor of a group stage exit is quite simply that we were in a tough, maybe the toughest, group. If we had been in Manchester United's group, for example, we would have qualified.

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 12-08-2011 at 05:49 PM.
sovereignstar v2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:50 PM   #852
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

In other news, Vidic might be out for a long time. IE United are fucked.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:26 AM   #853
Alf
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Wow. Lyon had to win, hope Ajax lost to Real Madrid.. and make up a total of seven goals in Goal Differential

Lyon 7-1 Dinamo Zagreb
Real Madrid 3-0 Ajax

There are headlines in France about people talking about "corruption" for that 7-1 game.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:05 PM   #854
TroyF
Coordinator

21 seconds in and it is 1-0 Real Madrid. Gomes with a disastrous mistake early. Real continuing to attack. Barca making some really poor touches. They have to regroup and fast.

ManU had an easy win, Arsenal saved by a terrific Van Persie goal in the EPL
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 04:37 PM   #855
TroyF
Coordinator

Well, Barca found their footing. . . and Real Madrid's at the same time. As Barca start picking them apart, Real are throwing two footed tackle after two footed tackle. Messi is very lucky he'll be playing again this year after one of those tackles. The ref has thrown a bunch of yellow, but now red. (which is what he did earlier in the match for Barca) There are 12 minutes left and I'll be very surprised if a RM player isn't sent off before this thing ends.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:44 PM   #856
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

There ought to have been at least two RM sending-off's (Ramos, Coentrao). Barca is just amazing.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 04:44 PM   #857
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
21 seconds in and it is 1-0 Real Madrid. Gomes with a disastrous mistake early. Real continuing to attack. Barca making some really poor touches. They have to regroup and fast.

ManU had an easy win, Arsenal saved by a terrific Van Persie goal in the EPL

Gomes? Been watching Tottenham?
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 04:48 PM   #858
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Gomes? Been watching Tottenham?

Brainfart. So 21 seconds 1-0 Real Madrid.

The other 89 and a half? Barca 3-0.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:11 PM   #859
Ryan S
Quarterback

Real Madrid were the better team in the first half, but there was no end product. After the own goal Barca were the only team likely to win the game.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:39 PM   #860
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
There ought to have been at least two RM sending-off's (Ramos, Coentrao). Barca is just amazing.

Messi should have been off before halftime. Ref pulled a "oh wait, he has a card" move and changed his mind.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:43 PM   #861
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
Messi should have been off before halftime. Ref pulled a "oh wait, he has a card" move and changed his mind.

I thought it was a "could have been sent off" thing rather than an obvious sent off thing. It wasn't even in the same ballpark as the two double footed tackles that Real Madrid did later.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:46 AM   #862
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
Very true, but the biggest factor of a group stage exit is quite simply that we were in a tough, maybe the toughest, group. If we had been in Manchester United's group, for example, we would have qualified.
It was definately an unusual group, with representatives from the top 4 competitions. Does that make it a tough group? I think there were tougher groups, ironically the ones with Chelsea and Arsenal come to mind. It wasn't an easy one either, as it included one traditional power (Bayern) and one second-tier team, which surprisingly played way below their own CL standards (Villarreal). In such a group the head-to-head clashes with the other 2nd place contenders are crucial and Man C ran into Napoli. Fwiw, going in, I expected Man City to survive this group as I gave little to no respect to Napoli for their unimpressive showing in the Europa League last season and I somehow didn't see Villarreal repeat their tradition of reaching the quarterfinals.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:57 PM   #863
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Good result in El Cashico today.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:02 PM   #864
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
It was definately an unusual group, with representatives from the top 4 competitions. Does that make it a tough group? I think there were tougher groups, ironically the ones with Chelsea and Arsenal come to mind. It wasn't an easy one either, as it included one traditional power (Bayern) and one second-tier team, which surprisingly played way below their own CL standards (Villarreal). In such a group the head-to-head clashes with the other 2nd place contenders are crucial and Man C ran into Napoli. Fwiw, going in, I expected Man City to survive this group as I gave little to no respect to Napoli for their unimpressive showing in the Europa League last season and I somehow didn't see Villarreal repeat their tradition of reaching the quarterfinals.

As far a Napoli goes, I feel as if there are a lot of teams throughout Europe that just don't care about the Europa League. Whether that was the case with them last year, I obviously can't say. I would be interested to see if other clubs gripe about having to play on Thursday nights and then again on Sunday afternoons in the league like some of the English clubs (I'm looking at you Spurs).

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:04 PM   #865
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I remember reading that even the smaller Italian clubs didn't play their best teams in the Europa League and this contributed to Serie A losing the fourth Champions League place to the Bundesliga.

Last edited by Big Fo : 12-12-2011 at 04:04 PM.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:54 PM   #866
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Anyone else getting up at 5:30am eastern to watch Santos take on Barca in the CWC final? I'm looking forward to it.

And I'm happy that Time Warner cable finally got Fox Soccer Channel in HD during the last week or so.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:41 AM   #867
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

yet another Itally Calcio scandal, this time with illegal betting and match fixing:

Arrests reach 17 in Italian match-fixing scandal - ESPN
Old 12-19-2011, 10:14 AM   #868
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Woo!

Juve still top of the table - 2pts clear now!!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:25 AM   #869
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
yet another Itally Calcio scandal, this time with illegal betting and match fixing:

Arrests reach 17 in Italian match-fixing scandal - ESPN

Is there something inherent with Italian football that creates the environment this corruption or should I expect things like this to pop up in the other top footballing nations?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

Last edited by miami_fan : 12-19-2011 at 10:26 AM.
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:01 AM   #870
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

There has been a lot of shadiness in Italian Football history, especially as the big magnates moved in (like the country's ex-PM, Berlusconi, buying AC Milan and using it as a vehicle to promote his politics). There is always speculation at the lower levels and on key games: This is an interesting read on the world of illegal sports betting n the far east and how the tendrils of matchfixing have stretched back to Europe:

Amazon.com: The Fix: Soccer and Organized Crime (9780771041396): Declan Hill: Books
Old 12-20-2011, 11:58 AM   #871
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Is there something inherent with Italian football that creates the environment this corruption or should I expect things like this to pop up in the other top footballing nations?

The Mafia.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 04:18 PM   #872
Critch
lolzcat

Own goal of the year:

Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 04:37 PM   #873
oykib
College Starter

Effing Ridiculous

Suarez has been banned for eight matches and fined 40,000 pounds for a racist comment that hasn't been proven, on the testimony of a player who says that he doesn't think Suarez is racist.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:25 PM   #874
Easy Mac

Just because he isn't a "racist" doesn't mean he did utter a racial slur.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:17 PM   #875
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Whoever wrote Liverpool's PR statement deserves a gold star, basically it says "Suarez has black friends" and questions Evra's character.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:19 PM   #876
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Couldn't happen to a classier guy.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:29 PM   #877
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

I could get used to this haha:

Real fume as Manchester City look set to take Jose Angel Pozo out of Madrid
By Alex Kay
Last updated at 10:58 PM on 20th December 2011

Manchester City are on the brink of snapping up one of the most exciting prospects in European football - 15-year-old Real Madrid striker Jose Angel Pozo.

The Spaniard’s parents have been in Manchester in the past few days looking at houses and schools ahead of a move in January, which will be completed in the next few days.

Pozo is very highly rated at Real but has been swayed by considerably better wages at City and the promise of reserve team football next year.

City could have signed him for free as he does not have a professional contract with Real but have instead chosen to pay the Spanish club around £100,000 compensation as a gesture of goodwill.

Chelsea and Liverpool had also been interested in Pozo, who scored 34 goals for Real’s youth team last season but City moved quickly following the recommendation of football development executive Patrick Vieira.

Real are very upset at losing one of the stars of their academy and president Florentino Perez made a last-ditch attempt to keep Pozo in a meeting a few weeks ago.

But the boy’s family believe his future is better at City and have been encouraged by City saying they will try to help them find jobs.

Signing Pozo is the latest step in City’s move to bring Europe’s best young players to the club so they can cut spending in future years and fall in line with UEFA’s financial fair play rules.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:36 PM   #878
moriarty
College Starter

I'll have to wait to see the details come out on the Suarez case, but if the only evidence is Evra's word and no one on a crowded pitch including referees heard it ... it sets a dangerous precedent.

It'll be interesting to see how the FA handles the Terry case in comparison.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:01 AM   #879
Katon
College Benchwarmer

Well, Suarez admitted using the word, and not in a positive way; even taking his version of events, he was still in dangerous territory. Terry has claimed a version of events where he didn't do anything wrong (although even in his own account he could have handled things more intelligently); Suarez hasn't. It'll be interesting to see the evidence for both cases.
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:59 AM   #880
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriarty View Post
I
It'll be interesting to see how the FA handles the Terry case in comparison.

Well, the FA may have to wait.

John Terry of Chelsea to face criminal charge over racism claim - ESPN

Quote:
LONDON -- England captain John Terry will face a criminal charge over allegations that he racially abused an opponent in the Premier League.

Britain's Crown Prosecution Service said Wednesday that there is sufficient evidence to prosecute the Chelsea defender for his on-field exchange Oct. 23 with Queens Park Rangers defender Anton Ferdinand.

"I have today advised the Metropolitan Police Service that John Terry should be prosecuted for a racially aggravated public order offense following comments allegedly made during a Premier League football match between Queens Park Rangers and Chelsea," said Alison Saunders, the chief Crown Prosecutor for London. "The decision was taken in accordance with the Code for Crown Prosecutors and after careful consideration of all the evidence I am satisfied there is sufficient evidence for a realistic prospect of conviction and it is in the public interest to prosecute this case."

The CPS said Terry will appear Feb. 1 before West London Magistrates' Court.

"He is now summonsed with a criminal offense and has the right to a fair trial," Saunders said. "It is extremely important that nothing should be reported which could prejudice his trial."

The 31-year-old Terry has publicly refuted the allegations that he racially abused Ferdinand, who is black.

Ferdinand submitted his account of the incident to the Football Association and said he has "very strong feelings on the matter."
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 12-21-2011, 12:37 PM   #881
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
Couldn't happen to a classier guy.

+1
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 10:14 AM   #882
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Whoever wrote Liverpool's PR statement deserves a gold star, basically it says "Suarez has black friends" and questions Evra's character.

8 games for what was said is a joke. Also, where is Evra's suspension for saying something derogatory to Suarez and admitting it? They should damn well question Evra's character. RVP scores and gives a Nazi salute earlier this year. Where's his suspension? The FA has screwed this up royally. Two games, maybe three would have been fine.

Last edited by Oilers9911 : 12-24-2011 at 10:18 AM.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:15 AM   #883
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers9911 View Post
RVP scores and gives a Nazi salute earlier this year. Where's his suspension?

That was one of the more ridiculous "scandals" of this season. Did anybody seriously think that RVP was going to make a nazi salute after scoring a goal?
Old 12-27-2011, 10:13 AM   #884
Ryan S
Quarterback

Worst injury ever?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16338426.stm
Old 12-27-2011, 10:22 AM   #885
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post

More like best quote ever:

"It's absolutely disgusting. He's going to be very sore, and I'm sure his wife won't be too happy either."
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:04 PM   #886
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Old 12-30-2011, 03:53 PM   #887
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

henry going back to arsenal on a loaner. CAN'T WAIT
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:00 PM   #888
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Damn, Gerrard has sure looked good coming back from injury off the bench for Liverpool the last couple of games.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 08:41 AM   #889
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Ahhhhhhhh. The fresh smell of ManU losing to Blackburn Rovers at Old Trafford on ESPN on a Saturday morning. Thank ya very much!
Old 12-31-2011, 08:42 AM   #890
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Also:

Old 12-31-2011, 08:43 AM   #891
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Old 12-31-2011, 11:08 AM   #892
miami_fan
Coordinator

Okay now there can be that investigation into match fixing in the EPL.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:11 AM   #893
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

becks staying in LA. great news. LA's a fun team to watch.
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:25 AM   #894
whomario
Pro Starter

my favourite team Borussia Dortmund just pulled off a total dream move, agreeing with 22 year old budding star Marco Reus (who would have been a permanent NT member if not for his weird tendency to get small injuries right before NT games) for a transfer after the season They also announced that Götze will stay to at least summer 2013.

I know this season´s CL campaign was a disapointment, but i will still and allready recommend them for viewing next season Götze, Reus and Kagawa is pretty much as good an offensive midfield as you´ll find anywhere.

as an added bonus he lived in Dortmund until he was 18 and played for Borussia youth teams (in the "dark ages" where young talent was run out of town ...)

Plus Bayern Munich was all "we get every player we want and we want Marco Reus" and now they have to eat it

Last edited by whomario : 01-04-2012 at 09:25 AM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:26 PM   #895
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Tim Howard Just Scored A Goal

Tim Howard scored a goal for Everton today. Crazy.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:33 AM   #896
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Chris Foy is a fucking joke and Wayne Rooney needs to be shot.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:36 AM   #897
miami_fan
Coordinator

I smell a 9-1 coming.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:37 AM   #898
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Depends on how much you paid Foy.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:25 AM   #899
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Good god United are awful. Hopefully Brett Favre can save you.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:25 AM   #900
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

nevermind lol