Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-22-2023, 09:28 PM   #901
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Dolphins dealing with an insane amount of injuries and really unbalanced calls. Yet it's somehow tied at 17 in the 3rd.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 01:34 AM   #902
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Gee guess what. Fields WAS the problem all along. Go fig.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 01:36 AM   #903
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Minchew is the modern Fitzpatrick. He makes any game 25% more entertaining than it has any right to be.

His stutter steps and shimmies are my favorite dance moves.

Can't wait to hear Pat Godwin's "miss You" parody about him tomorrow on Bob and Tom. (Every week he parodies the rolling stones "Miss You" song as "Gardner Minshew" and it's great.
Old 10-23-2023, 02:40 AM   #904
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Bears
10/13 Nathan Peterman QB Free Agent Signing

and what a coincidence. bears signed some other scrub too. Trade fields! do it now!
Old 10-23-2023, 03:50 AM   #905
stevew
Hall Of Famer

That brutal Tua int at the end fluttered like a bad tecmo bowl pass
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 08:52 AM   #906
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
Gee guess what. Fields WAS the problem all along. Go fig.

Amazing what happens when you have a QB who isn't holding onto the ball for 5-6 seconds, and can accurately hit those WR screens.

Bagent wasn't by any stretch amazing (he didn't need to be with the way the Bears were running the ball), but yeah. Breath of fresh air seeing someone who actually went through progressions and got the ball out fast.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 09:07 AM   #907
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

If Minshew didn't turn the ball over like a maniac, he would have the chance to be a really good NFL starter. I guess if he did that though he wouldn't be Gardner Minshew.

If you looked at this stats and saw that he was completing 65% of his passes for 5TDs and 4INTs so far you would be like....well not terrible for a backup QB. He's also gone over 300 yards in two of his three starts this season. Then you start digging and you are like....wait he's also lost 4 fumbles? And he's only started 3 games? That's 8 turnovers in three starts. Then you realize while he's exciting he's also one of the most reckless QBs you could have out there.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 09:12 AM   #908
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Amazing what happens when you have a QB who isn't holding onto the ball for 5-6 seconds, and can accurately hit those WR screens.

Bagent wasn't by any stretch amazing (he didn't need to be with the way the Bears were running the ball), but yeah. Breath of fresh air seeing someone who actually went through progressions and got the ball out fast.
Bagent passes the eye test. Good pocket sense. He can't always roll right to get out of trouble, though. If he had a stronger arm he could make a case for being a QB1. He looks to be a serviceable backup, so he could have a long NFL career a la Fitzmagic or a Tyrod Taylor. Apparently he's better than PJ Walker. The Chargers have some film now so we'll see what happens next Sunday.
Old 10-23-2023, 11:04 AM   #909
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
If Minshew didn't turn the ball over like a maniac, he would have the chance to be a really good NFL starter. I guess if he did that though he wouldn't be Gardner Minshew.

If you looked at this stats and saw that he was completing 65% of his passes for 5TDs and 4INTs so far you would be like....well not terrible for a backup QB. He's also gone over 300 yards in two of his three starts this season. Then you start digging and you are like....wait he's also lost 4 fumbles? And he's only started 3 games? That's 8 turnovers in three starts. Then you realize while he's exciting he's also one of the most reckless QBs you could have out there.

yeah I dunno WTF was with those fumbles. Cleveland sucks. Hate em and they deserve every injury they get the way they play.
Old 10-23-2023, 12:15 PM   #910
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Definitely a subtle and reasonable take.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 12:16 PM   #911
Swaggs
Coordinator

Steelers are sitting at 4-2, with victory margins of 4, 5, 7, and 7. Then lost their two games by a combined score of 60-13. Is Tomlin the GOAT of beating teams that should be beaten while not possessing the ability to make a team slightly better than average?

Looking at their schedule (still have the Titans, Packers, Cardinals, and Pats at home), I can see them going something like 11-6 or 10-7 and still having a negative point differential (still have Cincy twice, so if Burrow is healthy, I can easily see them winning by 20+ in at least one of the two).
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 12:27 PM   #912
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post

As I said last week, Getsy looks significantly more comfortable calling plays for Bagent. I don't see Bagent as the answer, but he's a guy that has a chance to bounce around as a starter for several years. The ideal scenario would be drafting a franchise guy in this draft and then hoping someone steps up with a 2nd round offer for him after next year.

Fields probably starts when healthy until things get really bad, but seeing how Bagent operates in the offense is probably the final nail for Fields as the future guy.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 01:10 PM   #913
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Steelers are sitting at 4-2, with victory margins of 4, 5, 7, and 7. Then lost their two games by a combined score of 60-13. Is Tomlin the GOAT of beating teams that should be beaten while not possessing the ability to make a team slightly better than average?

Looking at their schedule (still have the Titans, Packers, Cardinals, and Pats at home), I can see them going something like 11-6 or 10-7 and still having a negative point differential (still have Cincy twice, so if Burrow is healthy, I can easily see them winning by 20+ in at least one of the two).

I think thats the product of not having a good quarterback. Your ceiling is pretty limited. I still think hes a great coach who gets the most out of what he has.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2023, 09:49 AM   #915
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Really liking Stafford and the Rams offense. Except um....*cough* kicker *cough*

just embarassing

steelers should have had personal fouls and interference called against them on several occasions.

And my new favorite name is PUKA NACUA
Old 10-24-2023, 08:36 PM   #916
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

From Jim Irsay:
URGENT NFL/COLTS NEWS:
🏈 #5 QB Anthony Richardson’s surgery today in LA was a success! It was a long procedure and his shoulder injury has been repaired. No new surprises were found during surgery - they just repaired what was expected. Anthony is doing well and thanks everyone for the support. (There is presently no date for his return.)
🏈The NFL admits and understands that they did not make the correct calls at end of Sunday’s Colts/Browns Game. I believe we need to institute Instant Replay for all calls, including Penalties, in the last two minutes of All Games.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2023, 09:13 PM   #917
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
From Jim Irsay:
URGENT NFL/COLTS NEWS:
🏈 #5 QB Anthony Richardson’s surgery today in LA was a success! It was a long procedure and his shoulder injury has been repaired. No new surprises were found during surgery - they just repaired what was expected. Anthony is doing well and thanks everyone for the support. (There is presently no date for his return.)
🏈The NFL admits and understands that they did not make the correct calls at end of Sunday’s Colts/Browns Game. I believe we need to institute Instant Replay for all calls, including Penalties, in the last two minutes of All Games.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

I think I'll drive to punch his shoulder everyday so we can see more Gardner Minshew

Also YESYESYES....instant replay EVERYTHING

The officiating has been AWFUL, ESPECIALLY at the ends of games. Every week there has been at least one game ruined by this.
Old 10-25-2023, 01:13 AM   #918
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

LMAO Vikings coach caught on camera yelling at TE Hockensen to take a dive so he didn't have to call a timeout. Priceless
Old 10-25-2023, 01:16 AM   #919
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

LOVED the Vikings Pass Offense! HUGE Fantasy games for Cousins and Attison!
I can see them making the playoffs and wow another loss for SF.

Not much running excitement. Do the vijings really have no running game or is SF's running D just that good?

But man Cousins has ice in his veins. Patient . Npot afraid. And threw complete burners all day. Not one sack! Amazing!

Also I want to see a heavy metal band with Minn TE Hockenson and SF TE Kittle!
Old 10-25-2023, 04:57 AM   #920
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

No, do not instant replay everything. Calls in the rest of the game can have just as much an impact on the outcome, and it just drags everything out. The solution to bad officiating is to improve officials.
Old 10-25-2023, 07:55 AM   #921
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I don't understand why we want to limit replays to some things. I get the idea of not relitigating judgement calls (and that can be part of the rules for such replays), but sometimes it is not a judgement call. The Rams-Saints pass interference was clear interference beyond any reasonable judgement. In the Dolphins-Eagles game, there was clear grabbing of the facemask by the Eagles CB on a long pass to Cedrick Wilson. I think it's fine to make these reviewable and have it as part of the rules that bang bang calls will stand as called.

Getting calls right (especially when Superbowl is on the line as in Saints-Rams) is more important than the flow of the game.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 08:06 AM   #922
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I think the flow of the game is far more important. Football games are long enough as it is. Instant replays take time. Having everything be challengeable and having a low limited number of challenges is fine with me.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 10-25-2023 at 08:07 AM.
Old 10-25-2023, 08:32 AM   #923
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

If the technology exists, the goal should be to get all calls right. College FB has the right system in place and has proven it can work. The only limitation is with the people running it (as we've seen in soccer's VAR system).

The NFL is a multi-billion dollar industry. It can afford to put people in place for every game who are watching each play like a hawk and calling down to review things they think may have been called incorrectly. It's frankly embarrassing that we let wrong calls stand simply because an offense can get up to the ball and snap it before the other team can decide whether to spend a challenge.

The idea that getting calls right is just another "strategy" element for coaches is such a ridiculous thing that I still get pissed thinking about it.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 10-25-2023 at 08:33 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 08:38 AM   #924
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
I don't understand why we want to limit replays to some things. I get the idea of not relitigating judgement calls (and that can be part of the rules for such replays), but sometimes it is not a judgement call. The Rams-Saints pass interference was clear interference beyond any reasonable judgement. In the Dolphins-Eagles game, there was clear grabbing of the facemask by the Eagles CB on a long pass to Cedrick Wilson. I think it's fine to make these reviewable and have it as part of the rules that bang bang calls will stand as called.

Getting calls right (especially when Superbowl is on the line as in Saints-Rams) is more important than the flow of the game.

As was the Saints face masking Goff in the open field just a few game minutes before, not only forcing the Rams into a FG instead of a TD (if we assume NO would score after the PI we can assume the Rams would have scored a TD from the 1st and G) it also left more time on the clock after the Rams' score
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 09:54 AM   #925
Jstraub
n00b

BTW... The NFL wants it this way. Instead of talking about concussions, or player behavior or whatever else nefarious is or will be happening, people talk about officiating. All the networks have hired former referees! This is so messed up. "That was holding!" "Use instant replay more! " "No dont!"

It will never go away so long as it draws attention away from things they dont want you to look at.
Jstraub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 09:59 AM   #926
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

At this point... Which deal is worse:

1. The Broncos trading for and then extending Russel Wilson

or

2. The Browns trading for and then extending DeShaun Watson?

The Browns have been better than the Broncos on the field so far this year, but the whole Watson thing, with him not really playing this year and being sort of hurt, but not hurt, but really hurt, and being replaced by PJ Walker isn't great and, obviously, the vibes around Watson have been terrible for years. Watson brought significant reputational stink to the Browns organization.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 10:06 AM   #927
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Brady Quinn absolutely cooking Watson's ... personal coach? or whatever he is ... on Twitter was funny a.f.
Old 10-25-2023, 10:31 AM   #928
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post

or

The Browns have been better than the Broncos on the field so far this year, but the whole Watson thing, with him not really playing this year and being sort of hurt, but not hurt, but really hurt, and being replaced by PJ Walker isn't great and, obviously, the vibes around Watson have been terrible for years. Watson brought significant reputational stink to the Browns organization.

I made the point this past weekend in this thread that, at least considering what each team knew (or though they knew) going into the trade, that Wilson's is the most defensible. What wasn't defensible was extending him with 2 years left on his contract. But that may have been a requirement for him to agree to the trade, I don't know. It seems unnecessary and premature before he had ever taken a snap with a new team and new head coach. But Watson was on the sidelines for 18 months and dealing with a major off-field issue, all of which was publicly known.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 10-25-2023 at 10:32 AM.
Old 10-25-2023, 10:35 AM   #929
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSyrup
College FB has the right system in place and has proven it can work. The only limitation is with the people running it (as we've seen in soccer's VAR system).

Uhh, college football hasn't fixed this problem either. It doesn't matter if you have literally a hundred experts who have no other job but to make sure the calls are right, it's still completely impossible to do so without slowing the game down, including doing so in key situations where the clock continuing to move is part of the sport. And that's without getting into the *wink* *wink* stuff that almost nobody wants called anyway, like constant holding/illegal blocks without which football would dramatically change.

Edit for clarity: The issue is simply that it takes a certain amount of time to review calls or non-calls. It can't be done instantaneously.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 10-25-2023 at 10:57 AM.
Old 10-25-2023, 10:36 AM   #930
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

games need to be longer than the oscars. let's do this!
Old 10-25-2023, 10:57 AM   #931
Galaril
Pro Starter

One of the best in the league in fact and as usual the Titans got not much in return ( a late 5th and a late 6th rounder)
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 11:03 AM   #932
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Uhh, college football hasn't fixed this problem either. It doesn't matter if you have literally a hundred experts who have no other job but to make sure the calls are right, it's still completely impossible to do so without slowing the game down, including doing so in key situations where the clock continuing to move is part of the sport. And that's without getting into the *wink* *wink* stuff that almost nobody wants called anyway, like constant holding/illegal blocks without which football would dramatically change.

Edit for clarity: The issue is simply that it takes a certain amount of time to review calls or non-calls. It can't be done instantaneously.

College football does a fine job overall. I'm not suggesting judgment calls like PI or holding should be reviewed. Ball spotting, possession, etc., should all be reviewed on the spot every play. In college they stop plays to review questionable plays. I have no problem with the delays this causes. They usually aren't long and in most cases, the right call is made. But as with anything involving humans, it's still not perfect. But multiple eyes looking at replays in slow motion are definitely better than 1 or 2 guys trying to parse what they see in real time. The speed of the game demands it.
Old 10-25-2023, 11:15 AM   #933
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

We MUST haver longer games to see MORE of Gardner Minshew!
Old 10-25-2023, 11:16 AM   #934
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post

or

I think it is Watson hands down just because of all the off field stuff and everything that came with that. If I set that aside, I would probably still say Watson because of the guaranteed contract and where the Browns could be with PJ Walker level play from the QB position. The fact that it is close in my mind really is damming on Russ and the Broncos.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 11:43 AM   #935
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
One of the best in the league in fact and as usual the Titans got not much in return ( a late 5th and a late 6th rounder)

He'll be 31 to begin his next contract, and is having his 2nd worst season in terms of pass defending.

The take for him is what I've seen described repeatedly as roughly the likely take for aging stars like Tannehill and even Henry.

It was take late picks or get nothing when they don't resign him in the offseason.
Old 10-25-2023, 11:44 AM   #936
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I think it is Watson hands down just because of all the off field stuff and everything that came with that. If I set that aside, I would probably still say Watson because of the guaranteed contract and where the Browns could be with PJ Walker level play from the QB position. The fact that it is close in my mind really is damming on Russ and the Broncos.

I totally agree.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 01:36 PM   #937
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

The time of outdated human refs and their "errors" is done. The future is now!
We have replaced them with new upgraded A.I.

Welcome to your new Overlords!

Old 10-25-2023, 02:47 PM   #938
GrantDawg

Can a Robot Referee be called "Hot"?
Old 10-25-2023, 03:14 PM   #939
Ksyrup

"Fines for illegal touching of referees increased in 2024 by 10,000%."
Old 10-25-2023, 05:31 PM   #940
Bobble
College Prospect

I don't know if I'm a fan of Tyson Bagent yet but I'm definitely a fan of his dad after this twitter clip.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 06:03 PM   #941
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

note I created both of those with an AI Art site
Old 10-25-2023, 08:21 PM   #942
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I’m bored, we need Wednesday night football
Old 10-25-2023, 08:36 PM   #943
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

*only on yahoo internet service
Old 10-25-2023, 09:21 PM   #944
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

UTEP is playing Sam Houston...
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 10:45 PM   #945
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
UTEP is playing Sam Houston...

Yeah that game was trash. Sorry Jeebs
Old 10-27-2023, 01:52 AM   #946
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

The Chiefs/Chargers game was literally the worst game I've seen this season. Such a boring 4th quarter. Even the Taylor Swift appearance was dull.

I'm really just going to stop watching chiefs games as the refs will just give the chiefs the game in the 4th every time
Old 10-27-2023, 07:43 AM   #947
cuervo72
Head Coach

That's how I've felt about Patriots games for the last 20 years, but they were on every friggin week. Now CBS has just swapped the Chiefs in for the Patriots.
Old 10-27-2023, 07:56 AM   #948
Bobble
College Prospect

We're just going to change the name to Kansas City Swifts, right?
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 08:25 AM   #949
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I see no downsides.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 01:23 PM   #950
GrantDawg

Can the NFL survive the inevitable break up?