Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-12-2012, 05:18 PM   #51
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

By the way, PSG are paying £51m for Ibra and Thiago Silva.

Last year Liverpool spent £55m on Andy Carroll and Stuart Downing.

Last edited by Big Fo : 07-12-2012 at 05:18 PM.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:19 PM   #52
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Milan in money-saving mode...good times.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:59 PM   #53
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

PSG are in Pot 4. They are fucked. But this move should kick-start the window. Rest assured that Milan will re-invest that money.

Edit: I guess there is a chance they can get into Pot 3.

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 07-12-2012 at 06:03 PM.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:06 PM   #54
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Haha, this is actually a possible UCL Group. Champions of the Big 4 leagues:

Real Madrid, City, Juventus, Dortmund
Old 07-12-2012, 06:08 PM   #55
whomario
Pro Starter

yeah, Dortmund screwed up by not making it out of the group stage of the Europa League 2 years ago to collect some points (they literally don´t have any, they weren´t qualified for europe for a long time before rising up in germany). Heck, even last year in the CL they had a kind draw for a Pot4 team, no way they get another one as easy this year ...
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:04 PM   #56
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I dislike that seeding system, it should just be based on the league coefficients imo.

Like Pot A would be England 1-2, Spain 1-2, Italy 1, Germany 1, Portugal 1, France 1 or something.

Maybe only the first two groups could be like this due to all the various playoffs needed to finalize the groups, but it's dumb having a team like Dortmund in Pot 4.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:43 PM   #57
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Sporting KC gets their shot at their first US Open Cup in 8 years. Should be a great environment at Livestrong Park for that game. May have to grab some tickets.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:36 AM   #58
Easy Mac

Rangers are dropped down to the Third (4th) Division of Scotland. Can't imagine many players are going to be sticking around for this if they can help it.

BBC Sport - Rangers latest
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:25 AM   #59
bhlloy
Coordinator

Sounds like the SPL are going to use to this as their advantage and try to create an SPL2 around Rangers which would essentially kill off the other divisions and make the rest of the SFL semi-pro or amateur.

So much greed in soccer, its getting really hard to follow. Rangers have the support and the backers to get promoted back to SPL in 3 years no matter where they start, but they'd rather blow the whole system up and the SPL will roll over and let them do it. What a great advert for financial responsibility and living within your means. Think FIFA will step into this one, like fuck they will...
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:28 AM   #60
Katon
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
I dislike that seeding system, it should just be based on the league coefficients imo.

Like Pot A would be England 1-2, Spain 1-2, Italy 1, Germany 1, Portugal 1, France 1 or something.

Maybe only the first two groups could be like this due to all the various playoffs needed to finalize the groups, but it's dumb having a team like Dortmund in Pot 4.

I think the best approach would be a hybrid - teams get some points for their individual results, some (probably based on league position) from their country's coefficient.

European experience does seem to help, after all; neither of the CL finalists was particularly close to being the best team in their respective leagues, especially Chelsea, but their domestic betters couldn't even make it out of the group stages.
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:44 AM   #61
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
PSG are in Pot 4. They are fucked. But this move should kick-start the window. Rest assured that Milan will re-invest that money.

Edit: I guess there is a chance they can get into Pot 3.
Odds on Pot 3 are pretty high for PSG. There are 7 teams in qualifying with a higher UEFA ranking and only one of them has to be KO'ed for PSG to move up. Of course, given the seeding, all 7 might make it into the group stage, but I wouldn't be surprised if Fenerbahce, Udinese or Lille would pull the upset vs Braga, Spartak Moscow, Dinamo Kiev, Panathinaikos or Kobenhavn. Heck, on of those last three might even choke on Club Brugge or Feyenoord one round earlier.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:59 PM   #62
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Sounds like the SPL are going to use to this as their advantage and try to create an SPL2 around Rangers which would essentially kill off the other divisions and make the rest of the SFL semi-pro or amateur.

So much greed in soccer, its getting really hard to follow. Rangers have the support and the backers to get promoted back to SPL in 3 years no matter where they start, but they'd rather blow the whole system up and the SPL will roll over and let them do it. What a great advert for financial responsibility and living within your means. Think FIFA will step into this one, like fuck they will...

Honestly, it would not surprise me in Rangers end up back in the SPL this coming season. I think it is much more likely that they end up playing in the SPL than Division 3.

The current Rangers ownership is saying the right things ("We will play where they tell us to play") but the SFA and the SPL are desperate not to miss out on the money Rangers can bring into the game.

Most of the SFL chairmen interviewed on TV this evening are sceptical that Rangers will ever play a game in Division 3. Something needs to happen quickly, as the lower league season starts in just a few weeks.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:49 PM   #63
bhlloy
Coordinator

I'd rather that than a concept of an SPL2 that would finally kill off the SFL, although barely. I've always preferred Rangers to Celtic but if they got themselves in this mess, they should start where anyone else would start and get themselves out of it
Old 07-13-2012, 04:12 PM   #64
MIJB#19
Coordinator

It just really isn't fair that Rangers FC falls over, yet (for example) clubs in the primera division with lesser history, whom are years behind on paying the bills and transfer fees and are held alive by local authorities continue to play in the UEFA competitions year after year. Platini, where is your fair play plan that you promised on your election?

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 07-13-2012 at 04:15 PM.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:59 PM   #65
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
It just really isn't fair that Rangers FC falls over, yet (for example) clubs in the primera division with lesser history, whom are years behind on paying the bills and transfer fees and are held alive by local authorities continue to play in the UEFA competitions year after year. Platini, where is your fair play plan that you promised on your election?

Valencia, Villarreal?

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:45 AM   #66
Grover
Pro Starter

Sky Sports understands Watford are eyeing a move for Udinese midfielder Almen Abdi. Watford owner Giampaolo Pozzo has helped set up the deal as he is also the owner of Udinese.

Anyone else think that this should be illegal?

Old 07-24-2012, 12:58 PM   #67
whomario
Pro Starter

Luxembourgian Club F91 Dudelange just beat Red Bull Salzburg in the CL 2nd qualifying round, first leg 1:0 at home then a 3:4 on the road.

One of the biggest shockers i can recall. Sure, it´s just the 2nd qualifying round and no one cares but still Only 2 rounds to go until we´ll cheer for a luxembourgian team in the Champions League !
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 07-24-2012 at 01:00 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:02 PM   #68
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
Sky Sports understands Watford are eyeing a move for Udinese midfielder Almen Abdi. Watford owner Giampaolo Pozzo has helped set up the deal as he is also the owner of Udinese.

Anyone else think that this should be illegal?

Yes
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:19 PM   #69
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Yes

Pozzo also owns Granada.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:59 PM   #70
bigdawg2003
High School Varsity

Some friends and I are looking to play fantasy EPL this season. Is there anywhere that does it like fantasy NFL where you draft players exclusively to one team? All the major sites do it salary cap-style where you get 100 million euros to build a team.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:41 PM   #71
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdawg2003 View Post
Some friends and I are looking to play fantasy EPL this season. Is there anywhere that does it like fantasy NFL where you draft players exclusively to one team? All the major sites do it salary cap-style where you get 100 million euros to build a team.
Never heard of any, despite that I'd like that concept for a change. I'm afraid you'd have to set it up yourself(selves), the soccer (fans) world doesn't have that same traditions as the more sophisticated USA sports fans, the soccer world's fantasy sports is rather new and jumped right into the internet and it's world-wide (nationwide) aspect, forcing things into the budget/one-player-per-team concepts.

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 07-31-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:46 PM   #72
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:

http://www.fantasyleague.com/pro/

This is a pretty expensive site, minimum of about $40 per team and more if you go for one of the more expensive packages.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:48 PM   #73
Ryan S
Quarterback

While I remember (and I will probably create a thread in a few days), the Fantasy Premier League site is active again and I have created a new FOFC league.

Fantasy Premier League - The official fantasy football game of the Barclays Premier League
Invite code - 173850-50573
Old 08-08-2012, 07:37 PM   #74
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Paging Mr. Platini, paging Mr. Platini. PSG are ruining football.

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 08-08-2012 at 07:45 PM.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:11 PM   #75
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Sporting KC picked up the Cup last night! Amazing finish with how the PK's went down. KC coach was on the radio today talking about how the PK scouting work they did in advance with the KC goalie paid off. The KC goalkeeper actually told one of the PK takers before his kick 'I know where you're going' with a smile. Totally psyched out the player and he kicked it right over the bar.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 08-09-2012 at 12:12 PM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:50 PM   #76
Grover
Pro Starter

£15m is way too much for Joe Allen, Liverpool.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:00 PM   #77
bigdawg2003
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post
While I remember (and I will probably create a thread in a few days), the Fantasy Premier League site is active again and I have created a new FOFC league.

Fantasy Premier League - The official fantasy football game of the Barclays Premier League

Just joined. How'd I do for my first time playing Fantasy EPL?

GKs - Howard
DFs - A. Williams/Coloccini/Vertonghen/K. Walker
MFs - Cabaye/Bale/Dempsey/Hazard
STs - Naismith/Jelavic
BENCH - Al-Habsi/Shawcross/Park/Pogrebnyak
Old 08-09-2012, 04:21 PM   #78
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:

Since I watch the games a lot with my daughters on weekend mornings as we eat breakfast, I figured I may as well give it a shot and have something extra to root for.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:03 PM   #79
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
£15m is way too much for Joe Allen, Liverpool.

Pretty sure Rodgers agreed not to sign anyone from Swansea for 12 months. Classy guy.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:02 PM   #80
bhlloy
Coordinator

Technically he agreed not to make the first approach. Also pretty sure the Jacks are happy with 15m for Allen. Laudrup has a whole host of bargains he wants to bring in
Old 08-10-2012, 11:38 AM   #81
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

So, Juventus coach is out till next season for involvement in match fixing..
Old 08-10-2012, 11:51 AM   #82
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
So, Juventus coach is out till next season for involvement in match fixing..

Just one season? Nice.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:31 AM   #83
miami_fan
Coordinator

Am I the only one who is shocked that the Community Shield is today? Man, just kinda snuck up on me.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:55 AM   #84
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Am I the only one who is shocked that the Community Shield is today? Man, just kinda snuck up on me.

yeah, definitely. German Supercup between Dortmund and Bayern is also today.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:01 AM   #85
bigdawg2003
High School Varsity

Anytime you can pay Everton 20 mil for a midfielder who missed most of last season with an injury, you gotta do it.

Was hoping to make it through the transfer period without any big sales, but Rodwell isn't worth 20 mil.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:44 AM   #86
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:

No - I didn't realise at all until i just read this!
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:15 AM   #87
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Anytime you can pay Everton 20 mil for a midfielder who missed most of last season with an injury, you gotta do it.

Was hoping to make it through the transfer period without any big sales, but Rodwell isn't worth 20 mil.

hes english, that automatically doubles his value
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:19 AM   #88
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:

I was disappointed to have woken up and saw that it was already over.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:28 AM   #89
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Valencia, Villarreal?
It's been reported that Malaga is selling players left and right, because they can't pay salaries. That's great advertisement to have that club in the Champions League playoffs.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:31 AM   #90
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
It's been reported that Malaga is selling players left and right, because they can't pay salaries. That's great advertisement to have that club in the Champions League playoffs.

And Cazorla is now gone

Old 08-12-2012, 10:31 AM   #91
Grover
Pro Starter

South Korean Soccer Player Did Not Receive His Medal Because Of Politics

Old 08-12-2012, 10:41 AM   #92
Critch
lolzcat

Good to have proper games pretty much back, the long bleak summer of no-soccer since the Euros finished is over.

Thought Man City looked good, they'll either win the league or whoever finishes above them will. Chelsea didnt look great, I'm going for di Matteo out before the end of the season and Chelsea lucky to scrape 4th.

And ESPN3 football is worth watching, Jozy Altidore has just scored 2 great goals in 2 minutes for AZ against Ajax.

Last edited by Critch : 08-12-2012 at 10:41 AM.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:38 PM   #93
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Oh Hazard.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:02 PM   #94
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:

Good deal. Trying to help out Everton when we can (see Joleon Lescott) so they can push for that Europa spot.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:27 PM   #95
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Most sources are reporting that Rodwell was sold for 12m (up to 15 million) by the way. So 8 million less than what Liverpool payed Villa for Stewart Downing.

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 08-12-2012 at 06:29 PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:09 PM   #96
bigdawg2003
High School Varsity

Quote:
Most sources are reporting that Rodwell was sold for 12m (up to 15 million) by the way. So 8 million less than what Liverpool payed Villa for Stewart Downing.

Yeah the transfer fee kept going down throughout the day, from 20 to 15 to 12 w/ addons. Will be curious to see if Moyes gets to spend any of that money on transfers
Old 08-13-2012, 08:02 AM   #97
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Oh Hazard.

I want him to be a good player since he was at Man City when I joined it in my FM dynasty and he was THE MAN for years, still starting 5-10 games a year plus subbing in another 5-10 at 36 when he hung it up. But yeah stuff like that...
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:25 AM   #98
cschex
High School Varsity

Quote:

Also joined this. My instincts are to build a "complete" team and I have to realize that holding midfielders probably don't have much value here.
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:04 PM   #99
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I'm kind of dreading tonight's Mexico - USA friendly at the Azteca.

Last edited by Big Fo : 08-15-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:33 PM   #100
MrBug708
Head Coach

Oh my RVP
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote