Originally Posted by digamma View Post
What's the good word?

Fire Johnson.

JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:51 PM   #52
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Dear Rutgers, stop losing. k thx.

Apparently Louisville also losing. Dunno if the Scarlet Knights have 3 TDs hiding anywhere in someone's back pocket tho.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:56 PM   #53
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
Dear Rutgers, stop losing. k thx.

Apparently Louisville also losing. Dunno if the Scarlet Knights have 3 TDs hiding anywhere in someone's back pocket tho.

That's pretty much been the M.O. of Pitt, Syracuse, and UConn over the past 7 or 8 years, suck it up in non-conference and play marginally in the Big East before laying the wood once or twice a year to in conference teams that have been having very good/great seasons.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:01 PM   #54
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
That's pretty much been the M.O. of Pitt, Syracuse, and UConn over the past 7 or 8 years, suck it up in non-conference and play marginally in the Big East before laying the wood once or twice a year to in conference teams that have been having very good/great seasons.

Well I hope Flood said something to them that actually works. This whole "get on the doorstep of the conference title" and choke thing is really getting old and I don't trust them even playing at home next week against Louisville.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:05 PM   #55
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Another missed opportunity.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:11 PM   #56
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Fire Johnson.

If Paul Johnson is not fired, then it's clear the new AD and administration believe what Dave Braine said on his way out the door.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:14 PM   #57
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
If Paul Johnson is not fired, then it's clear the new AD and administration believe what Dave Braine said on his way out the door.

Eh, they ain't got the money to fire him & I know that.

They'll just point to the "progress" of his division "title" and continue to put an embarrassing lack of talent on the field each & every Saturday. I doubt they could win a Southern Conference title at this point.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:16 PM   #58
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I suppose the advantage of this choke job, should it continue to hold up is that perhaps it'll light a fire under their asses next week, at home, to wrap up the Conference title once and for all. I'd just prefer they figure it out and make it easier on themselves; especially if UConn holds up their end of the bargain.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:28 PM   #59
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Maybe Rutgers should've announced their Big Ten exit after wrapping up the conference title...
Old 11-24-2012, 01:44 PM   #60
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Eh, they ain't got the money to fire him & I know that.

They'll just point to the "progress" of his division "title" and continue to put an embarrassing lack of talent on the field each & every Saturday. I doubt they could win a Southern Conference title at this point.

Fair enough, but given that, the rest of Atlanta and myself will just continue to not buy tickets and they can just continue the slide into irrelevance.

That division title is a joke and all of college football knows it.

Last edited by bob : 11-24-2012 at 01:45 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:46 PM   #61
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I'm getting visions of Bo style of play calling out of Michigan. Third and short = run up the middle no matter how many times it fails.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:49 PM   #62
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Thank you Gary Nova. Grr...
Old 11-24-2012, 01:53 PM   #63
cadmus2166
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
I'm getting visions of Bo style of play calling out of Michigan. Third and short = run up the middle no matter how many times it fails.

Yeah, very frustrating. I feel like Michigan is beating themselves in the second half more than Ohio St. is.
cadmus2166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:59 PM   #64
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I've often thought the prevent defense only prevents you from winning, as the cliche goes.

Michigan coughed up an easy field goal (not the kick itself, 52 yards) right before the half, and the momentum completely changed. It's too bad - they could have won this game, but they've done absolutely nothing since the big Robinson run that should have given them a big mental boost going into the half.

So it looks like we'll have a split national championship again.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:02 PM   #65
cadmus2166
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
I've often thought the prevent defense only prevents you from winning, as the cliche goes.

Michigan coughed up an easy field goal (not the kick itself, 52 yards) right before the half, and the momentum completely changed. It's too bad - they could have won this game, but they've done absolutely nothing since the big Robinson run that should have given them a big mental boost going into the half.

So it looks like we'll have a split national championship again.

Ohio St. isn't getting the AP championship unless Notre Dame, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, and posibly even Oregon lose again. There are too many voters who will not want a team on probation to get a championship.
cadmus2166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:23 PM   #66
bob
College Starter

Well, maybe Tech was just holding back for next weeks more important game against FSU.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:25 PM   #67
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadmus2166 View Post
Ohio St. isn't getting the AP championship unless Notre Dame, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, and posibly even Oregon lose again. There are too many voters who will not want a team on probation to get a championship.

That's probably true, and probably fair (their schedule is embarrassingly bad for a top team). We've never had a situation like this before, so the voters can deviate from their obsession with undefeated.

It's a shame Ohio State is on probation for something someone else did in the past. They should have the opportunity to move on.

It's also a shame Michigan is a cluster-whatever on offense with this new Denard as double-slash-benchwarmer mess. Ohio State is clearly the better team today.

It would have been nice to have a competitive game today. Michigan really isn't that good this year - the defense dominated mediocre teams but the lack of experience on the defensive line and the lack of a throwing quarterback doomed them against good teams. They beat everyone they should beat, but were 0-4 in games that mattered. Well, 1-4, as beating Michigan State was emotionally important even though the Spartans had serious quarterback issues themselves.

I don't see the point of inviting teams like Michigan to bowl games. Who needs to see them again? Of course, the rules say 5-7 teams might go this year, as it's possible they'll run out of 6-6 teams like Central Michigan to fill in.

I wish they had thrown out the bowl system entirely instead of this bowl-slash-halfassed playoff compromise. Get rid of the most senseless of the bowls and pick the best sites for a 24-team playoff. That would bring in more money than they could imagine.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:51 PM   #68
Thomkal
Head Coach

Coastal Carolina ahead 17-0 in a first round playoff game at Bethune-Cookman. Winner gets to play Old Dominion next
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:51 PM   #69
Easy Mac

Auburn was undefeated and on probation in 93.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:54 PM   #70
bob
College Starter

Ohio State has no one but themselves to blame for this. All probations suck for the innocent, but this wasn't for actions from 10 years ago. Should have been dealt with last year when the players at fault were still on roster.

Last edited by bob : 11-24-2012 at 02:55 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:12 PM   #71
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

HAHAHAHA if Louisville can win next week SU takes a share of the BE title!
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:21 PM   #72
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Coastal Carolina ahead 17-0 in a first round playoff game at Bethune-Cookman. Winner gets to play Old Dominion next

Coastal still up by the same score near the end of 3rd quarter. Fellow Big South member Stony Brook also up-14-0 at halftime vs Villanova.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:25 PM   #73
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

The UVA coach completely quit on his team today. Tie game, 40 seconds left, VT has the ball, 4th down on the 10, a chip shot to win. Instead of calling timeout immediately to save some time after a potential field goal and kickoff, he lets the clock run down to 4 seconds, lets VT stop the clock, then uses his 2 time outs to "ice" the kicker - which didn't work as VT kicks the game winner at :00. Completey, unabashedly quit on his team and left them there to lose.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:06 PM   #74
cuervo72
Head Coach

Oh Big East, why you ackin so cray cray?
Old 11-24-2012, 04:14 PM   #75
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Oh Big East, why you ackin so cray cray?

Yeah, if Louisville beats Rutgers, SU would only have been 10 points from an auto BCS.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:25 PM   #76
cuervo72
Head Coach

Also, it's great that I can't see Oregon/Oregon St. while all these other games are at halftime. Thanks Pac-12 network!
Old 11-24-2012, 04:38 PM   #77
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Yeah, if Louisville beats Rutgers, SU would only have been 10 points from an auto BCS.

But hey, they'll still end up co-big east champions if Louisville wins (which from a previous post, may involve a handsome trophy of some sort). And while they won't finish high enough in the BCS standings to pass either of those teams and get to the BCS bowl....it could be humorously close.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:43 PM   #78
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Also, it's great that I can't see Oregon/Oregon St. while all these other games are at halftime. Thanks Pac-12 network!

Me either. What a joke. This is one of the better games of the day. And not nationally televised. Thats a shame.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:46 PM   #79
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Me either. What a joke. This is one of the better games of the day. And not nationally televised. Thats a shame.

There will be more of that if the Big 10 network insists that DirecTV spend a billion more dollars for the privilege of carrying Rutgers and Maryland.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:48 PM   #80
Swaggs
Coordinator

So, is the Louisville-Rutgers game the de facto championship game for the Big East or can Syracuse or Cincy somehow sneak in?
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:50 PM   #81
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

If Alabama holds on for the shutout, it'll be the first time that Auburn has been shutout by both Bama & Georgia in the same season since 1906.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:50 PM   #82
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

and a hearty FUCK YOU PAC 12 network

signed a Washington alum who has Direct TV and lives 3 miles from campus yet can't watch Husky games at home.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:58 PM   #83
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
So, is the Louisville-Rutgers game the de facto championship game for the Big East or can Syracuse or Cincy somehow sneak in?

The former, most likely. Evan Hilbert broke it down like this on CBS Sportsline:

"Scenario No. 1: Louisville loses to UConn, beats Rutgers; Rutgers loses out; Cincinnati wins out; Syracuse beats Temple.

If the above occurs just as listed, there are four teams at 5-2. Now, the first tiebreaker is head-to-head. Basically the four teams create a mini-conference and the team that fared best against the other three goes. In this scenario, Cincinnati and Syracuse would be 1-2, while Louisville and Rutgers would be 2-1. Since, in this scenario, Louisville beats Rutgers, the Cards would go to the BCS.

Also, if Syracuse loses to Temple and the above outcomes remain, Louisville would go since the mini-conference would be Louisville, Rutgers, and Cincinnati, and Louisville would be 2-0 against the others. So, essentially, no matter what, Cincinnati will not be in a BCS bowl.

Scenario No. 2: Louisville loses to UConn, beats Rutgers; Rutgers loses out; Cincinnati loses one of its last two; Syracuse beats Temple.

Now, again, we create a mini-conference between the three teams at 5-2. That would be Louisville, Syracuse, and Rutgers. But, uh-oh, head-to-head records here are all 1-1. Louisville beat Rutgers, lost to Syracuse; Syracuse beat Louisville, lost to Rutgers; Rutgers beat Syracuse, lost to Louisville. In this case, the determining factor becomes which team has the highest BCS ranking. As of Nov. 17, CBSSports.com's Jerry Palm has Rutgers (18) ahead of Louisville (20) ahead of Syracuse (43). So, in this case, the most likely outcome would be Louisville leaping over Rutgers after having won and edging out Syracuse for the BCS berth based on ranking. Unless, of course, something wacky happens, like Connecticut beating Louisville 40-0 and the Cards turning around and beating Rutgers 7-6, then, maybe, Syracuse somehow ends up ranked higher."

Last edited by molson : 11-24-2012 at 04:59 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:02 PM   #84
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Florida is apparently having a flashback to the Georgia game.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:04 PM   #85
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Badgers run all over psu the first two drives and then the lack of any threat of throwing shows up and now psu stuffing the run with nearly 8 in box. Wisconsin really needs a second wr to be a threat deep... sigh...
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:06 PM   #86
Butter
Coordinator

Shoelace, you will be missed in the UM-OSU rivalry.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:09 PM   #87
Danny
Head Coach

If Florida loses, I will be rooting against ND to hopefully have an Alabama / Georgia and Oregon final game.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:09 PM   #88
Danny
Head Coach

It will pain me to root for USC though.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:09 PM   #89
Danny
Head Coach

If Florida wins then I would just see ND win and USC lose.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:14 PM   #90
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Yuck. Badgers d gassed thanks to three three and outs this half..
Old 11-24-2012, 05:15 PM   #91
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Not sure Matt Canada should have oc position next year.

Gee 4th three and out after getting field position at 50.. drops this time.

Last edited by mauchow : 11-24-2012 at 05:21 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:27 PM   #92
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Well, maybe Tech was just holding back for next weeks more important game against FSU.

It's interesting how they resolve these tiebreakers. According to the stories, Miami exists, then is removed from the tiebreaker process before tiebreakers are applied. So Georgia Tech goes in over North Carolina based on head-to-head.

I thought North Carolina would take it with a win today (looks positive). Miami, Georgia Tech and UNC finish 5-3, all are 1-1 round-robin. According to the tiebreaker rules (unless I'm missing something obvious, which is entirely possible), they next compare records against Virginia Tech. Since Georgia Tech was the only one of the three to lose to Virginia Tech, it would revert to Miami/UNC. UNC won that game head-to-head.

So the question is whether Miami exists in the standings at all. If so, UNC should be the winner. If not, why count Miami games at all? Then you get Georgia Tech at 5-2.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:36 PM   #93
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Coastal still up by the same score near the end of 3rd quarter. Fellow Big South member Stony Brook also up-14-0 at halftime vs Villanova.

Both Coastal and Stony Brook win by 10-Go Big South!
Old 11-24-2012, 05:43 PM   #94
bob
College Starter

Quote:
It's interesting how they resolve these tiebreakers. According to the stories, Miami exists, then is removed from the tiebreaker process before tiebreakers are applied. So Georgia Tech goes in over North Carolina based on head-to-head.

I thought North Carolina would take it with a win today (looks positive). Miami, Georgia Tech and UNC finish 5-3, all are 1-1 round-robin. According to the tiebreaker rules (unless I'm missing something obvious, which is entirely possible), they next compare records against Virginia Tech. Since Georgia Tech was the only one of the three to lose to Virginia Tech, it would revert to Miami/UNC. UNC won that game head-to-head.

So the question is whether Miami exists in the standings at all. If so, UNC should be the winner. If not, why count Miami games at all? Then you get Georgia Tech at 5-2.

I don't know the tie breaker specifics, but I know that mid-week when Miami self imposed Tech was in regardless of today's results. The Tech athletic department was selling tickets a few days ago.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:12 PM   #95
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Jesus. Overtime again. Bielema loses another close one. He can't win the close ones it seems. This certainly confirms that Phillips should not be our qb next year if he's granted sixth year.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:28 PM   #96
dzilla77
High School Varsity

Quote:

Remember UNC is also ineligible for post season play due to the academic scandal they had.
dzilla77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:38 PM   #97
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1 View Post
Jesus. Overtime again. Bielema loses another close one. He can't win the close ones it seems. This certainly confirms that Phillips should not be our qb next year if he's granted sixth year.

As a Badger fan, I'd say it'd be a shame if we made the Rose Bowl with this shitty of a team. Beating up on crap teams like Indiana just doesn't hide the fact that they've beaten nobody good.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:46 PM   #98
pbot
H.S. Freshman Team

Very pleased to see the Penn State senior class go out with home win.

Funny that for all the early season issues, Penn State won when the other team missed a kick. I think Ficken ended the year making something like 10 straight field goals including today's game winner to close out the season. Nice rebound.

Hopefully most of the talented underclassmen stick around.
pbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:48 PM   #99
fpres
High School JV

Wow. Tough break for Manziel. It's probably for the best if he sits the remainder of the game just to protect that knee.
fpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:03 PM   #100
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I know it's a down Big Ten, but I'm damn happy to see Urban's first year at OSU be a 12-0 season after going 6-7 last year. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come.

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 11-24-2012 at 07:05 PM.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote