Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-22-2012, 09:28 AM   #951
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
I want you to say that Wayne Rooney is a fucking criminal of course.

Matthew 7:5

(Foz, who believes this is the first time he can literally say he went biblical on someone's arse)
Old 01-22-2012, 09:31 AM   #952
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

So if he permanently blinded McCarthy it wouldn't be that big of a deal, right?
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:35 AM   #953
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

No. Typically, the severity of the effects from the harm one does to someone will affect how it is judged and punished. Same as in a bar fight, car accident, etc. So if McCarthy were blinded, I am sure there would have been more of an outcry and Rooney would have been more likely to get a ban or even be sued (depending on how the British do civil court cases, I have no idea).
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:38 AM   #954
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Nice quip by the international feed announcer "And Mario Balotelli stamps his name on the morning headlines..."

One thing for sure, nobody changes the channel when Balotelli is on the pitch.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:12 AM   #955
Critch
lolzcat

If Piers Morgan doesnt make you want Arsenal to lose, nothing will.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:25 AM   #956
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post

Arsene Wenger makes me want Arsenal to lose.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:49 AM   #957
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Can't say that hasn't been coming for most of the first half.

Last edited by SirFozzie : 01-22-2012 at 10:49 AM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:56 AM   #958
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Football on FOX without 90 minutes of commercials. So strange.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:10 PM   #959
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I was as surprised as the crowd and RVP seemed to be when Arshavin came on for the impressive Oxlade-Chamberlain. But happier than they were with the decision.

Somebody at the club really should teach Lindegaard how to make a clearance. de Gea might be a long-sighted flapper but at least he can kick.

I got a nice reply from the program coordinator at the local Fox affiliate, it seems like a few other people must have complained since she said she will make sure all future games air live. Hopefully this happens, Chelsea and Man Utd are scheduled to appear on Fox early on Super Bowl Sunday.

Last edited by Big Fo : 01-22-2012 at 12:51 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:11 PM   #960
Easy Mac

I found it odd that Theo Walcott was knocked out cold, then grabbed his head 2-3 times in pain, then maybe a minute later was back in the game. I even saw him with 1 or 2 headers. It appears concussion awareness hasn't made it to that side of the pond.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:09 PM   #961
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

This just in: Mario Balotelli's agent is as much of a fuckhead as Balotelli is: A transcript of comments today

“I can’t talk about Redknapp, I don’t want to get angry. It’s not normal what they do in England, where there’s a referee who’s a coward. He’s a coward because he saw what happened from a close range and then he says he didn’t see anything after receiving pressure from the press and Redknapp. He’s a coward. If he saw what happened, there would no TV evidence. Mario didn’t do it on purpose, I can guarantee it 100%. I am really angry with the FA. This ref should be sent to an optician as he can’t see from 1-metre distance. This is not good. If the FA doesn’t protect Mario, perhaps it’s time to change route and leave England. It’s a moralism I don’t like”

02:31-03:08

“He may come back to Italy. At the moment there are not talks in place because our plan was to stay in England, but we don’t like this. The guy is quite annoyed because he’s been unfairly attacked and he’s going to miss 4 more games. You can see no Tottenham player complains because they saw he didn’t do it on purpose. Redknapp is angry because Mario didn’t want to go Tottenham, he’s because he has to go to court do defend himself for his fiscal problems, we understand it but he cannot take it out on Mario”

3:27-03:56

“This time it’s me who’s fed up. I understand why someone can have enough of it. Unfortunately Man City cannot do anything because with the English system he risks even more sanctions. It’s not worth it. It’s almost an incentive not to look for justice. In England if you look for justice you can expect more sanctions. I’m really fed up

if you realllllly want to leave, Mario, there's the door. Be careful that it doesn't hit your posterior during your egress.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:39 PM   #962
bhlloy
Coordinator

Fuck yeah Cardiff at Wembley for the third time in five years. Rare occasion where the team that deserves to win the game actually wins on PK's. This time I don't think anyone will expect us to beat City or Liverpool so we can just enjoy the experience
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:04 PM   #963
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

My complaining to the local affiliate did some good, the Chelsea - Man Utd game on Super Bowl Sunday will be shown live. Out of curiosity I asked how many other complaints there were between calls and e-mails and I was told there were about ten or so. It seems like a low number for it to have made a difference but at least it worked.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:23 PM   #964
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
I found it odd that Theo Walcott was knocked out cold, then grabbed his head 2-3 times in pain, then maybe a minute later was back in the game. I even saw him with 1 or 2 headers. It appears concussion awareness hasn't made it to that side of the pond.

If you mean are people wrapped in cotton wool and weak medieval helmets to protect them during sports matches .... no soccer is a contact sport and shit does indeed happen, if they were worried about concussion I'm sure they'd have kept him out - but chances are it was just a knock of heads and a big bruise and headache ....

Trust me with these players being paid multi-millions per season they won't be taking huge chances with them and they have very well paid doctors/physio's on hand to assess them and ensure that they're in a good state to play ... the days of goalkeepers with broken necks playing is long gone*.

*I kid you not - if you've never read it I'd recommend reading about Bert Trautmann, he was an awesome keeper and quite an impressive individual as well (he was one of the first Germans to play actively in England after the second world war).
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:26 PM   #965
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post

Piers Morgan does my head in - they truly couldn't have found a more soccer illiterate Englishman to commentate on matches imho ....

Then again I still have a soft spot for Arsenal because a lot of my friends back home are supporters, they'll end up in a Champions League place come the end of the season I reckon.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:43 PM   #966
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
If you mean are people wrapped in cotton wool and weak medieval helmets to protect them during sports matches .... no soccer is a contact sport and shit does indeed happen, if they were worried about concussion I'm sure they'd have kept him out - but chances are it was just a knock of heads and a big bruise and headache ....

Trust me with these players being paid multi-millions per season they won't be taking huge chances with them and they have very well paid doctors/physio's on hand to assess them and ensure that they're in a good state to play ... the days of goalkeepers with broken necks playing is long gone*.

*I kid you not - if you've never read it I'd recommend reading about Bert Trautmann, he was an awesome keeper and quite an impressive individual as well (he was one of the first Germans to play actively in England after the second world war).

The thing is, it was apparent Walcott lost consciousness for a good 10-20 seconds. Any loss of consciousness is a concussion. At that point, there is no reason to go back in a game.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:03 PM   #967
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
This just in: Mario Balotelli's agent is as much of a fuckhead as Balotelli is: A transcript of comments today

“I can’t talk about Redknapp, I don’t want to get angry. It’s not normal what they do in England, where there’s a referee who’s a coward. He’s a coward because he saw what happened from a close range and then he says he didn’t see anything after receiving pressure from the press and Redknapp. He’s a coward. If he saw what happened, there would no TV evidence. Mario didn’t do it on purpose, I can guarantee it 100%. I am really angry with the FA. This ref should be sent to an optician as he can’t see from 1-metre distance. This is not good. If the FA doesn’t protect Mario, perhaps it’s time to change route and leave England. It’s a moralism I don’t like”

02:31-03:08

“He may come back to Italy. At the moment there are not talks in place because our plan was to stay in England, but we don’t like this. The guy is quite annoyed because he’s been unfairly attacked and he’s going to miss 4 more games. You can see no Tottenham player complains because they saw he didn’t do it on purpose. Redknapp is angry because Mario didn’t want to go Tottenham, he’s because he has to go to court do defend himself for his fiscal problems, we understand it but he cannot take it out on Mario”

3:27-03:56

“This time it’s me who’s fed up. I understand why someone can have enough of it. Unfortunately Man City cannot do anything because with the English system he risks even more sanctions. It’s not worth it. It’s almost an incentive not to look for justice. In England if you look for justice you can expect more sanctions. I’m really fed up

if you realllllly want to leave, Mario, there's the door. Be careful that it doesn't hit your posterior during your egress.

Not to defend Balotelli or his agent, but Howard Webb was looking right at it and he didn't do shit about it. There's never any consistency. You should always be able to go back and act retrospectively, but many times the refs will say they saw the incident and that's the end of it.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:09 PM   #968
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Man City fine Carlos Tevez £9.3m, Khaldoon Al Mubarak fumes - ESPN Soccernet

ESPN Soccernet is as bad as it gets for soccer news, but they ran a story saying that Carlos Tevez has been fined a total of 9.7 million pounds this season. Fucking insane. I'll never understand what is going on in that dude's head. The mean streets of Buenos Aires did that man no good.

Then there is chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarak's slam on Milan:

Quote:
Inter Milan and Paris St Germain approached discussions with us in good faith and it is always a positive experience to deal with people with a professional approach. As things stand AC Milan isn't an option for Carlos Tevez.

Mr. Galliani and his advisors have developed a misplaced sense of confidence from their premature discussions with Carlos and his advisors. If they want to be a consideration in this transfer window they would do better to stop congratulating one another and begin to look at how they would meet our terms.

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 01-24-2012 at 11:10 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:12 AM   #969
law90026
College Benchwarmer

Problem with Tevez imo is that:

a) he seems to be a relatively difficult personality to manage/handle in terms of what he wants (money, time with children, living location); and

b) perhaps more importantly, his douche agent.
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:36 AM   #970
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
The thing is, it was apparent Walcott lost consciousness for a good 10-20 seconds. Any loss of consciousness is a concussion. At that point, there is no reason to go back in a game.

Are you absolutely certain of that and that he wasn't play acting .... or indeed considering Walcott in some matches, playing normally

(I'd be shocked if they'd leave him on the pitch if there was considered any serious risk at all to his health)

PS - Haven't seen the incident personally, will try and rummage up footage later

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 01-25-2012 at 06:37 AM.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:51 PM   #971
Ryan S
Quarterback

It must be so depressing playing Barca. Real should have been at least 3 up, but they are going to go into half time 2-0 down thanks to two goals in the last five minutes.

Last edited by Ryan S : 01-25-2012 at 03:55 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:33 PM   #972
Ryan S
Quarterback

Now this is going to be an interesting last 20 minutes...
Old 01-25-2012, 04:51 PM   #973
Ryan S
Quarterback

That was never a booking (Ramos).
Old 01-25-2012, 04:55 PM   #974
Critch
lolzcat

I've never been very keen on Real Madrid or Barcelona, but Mourinho's style in games v Barcelona along with players like Pepe and Sergio Ramos have got me wanting a Barcelona win.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:55 PM   #975
Ryan S
Quarterback

Real Madrid really should have won that game easily, but I have to give them credit for coming back in the second half.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:43 PM   #976
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Who is operating this camera in the Panama - USA friendly? It is so jerky that I think I might be getting seasick.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:45 PM   #977
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

we start with 2 strikers, and what do you know we score 8 min in

Beckerman btw
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:47 PM   #978
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

or maybe Zusi, whomeve that is
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:54 PM   #979
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Geoff Cameron's gotta have his head on a swizzle.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:28 PM   #980
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

I've seen different things about whether Cabaye has been charged for this or not. Dirty, dirty player he is.

Last month

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 01-30-2012 at 11:29 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:45 PM   #981
Grover
Pro Starter

From ESPN...

Quote:
LIVERPOOL, England -- A fan interrupted Everton's home match against Manchester City for several minutes Tuesday night when he handcuffed himself to a goal post.

The supporter invaded the Goodison Park field about five minutes before halftime and handcuffed himself to City goalkeeper Joe Hart's left post. Police officers took about three minutes to uncut him from the post before the Premier League match could resume with the score still at 0-0.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:49 PM   #982
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Blatant dive in the first half, then this. How this asshole managed to stay on is amazing.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:51 PM   #983
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
From ESPN...

I was genuinely concerned that my recording was going to run short. Nice job by the police though as there was only 5 minutes extra in the first half.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:01 AM   #984
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
Blatant dive in the first half, then this. How this asshole managed to stay on is amazing.

But Wayne Rooney's done worse, so it's not that big of a deal. Live by the sword of relativity, die by it.

Last edited by I. J. Reilly : 02-02-2012 at 09:02 AM.
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:02 AM   #985
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Question for the English soccer folks. Watching the game at Arsenel this morning. Looks like the entire middle deck is empty during halftime. Is there a bar or club that those people go to in the back of the stands during the break?
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:39 AM   #986
Ryan S
Quarterback

The middle tier at the Emirates is the Club level with the most expensive tickets you can buy at the stadium, and they have access to private bars on that level.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:11 AM   #987
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post
The middle tier at the Emirates is the Club level with the most expensive tickets you can buy at the stadium, and they have access to private bars on that level.

That would explain it. It was pretty cold at the game. Needed a little extra fuel at halftime.

Arsenel just blasted Blackburn FWIW. Think the final score was 6-1. I was thinking about how mad I would have been as a coach in FM if I had to see that on the scoreboard.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:33 AM   #988
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
That would explain it. It was pretty cold at the game. Needed a little extra fuel at halftime.

Arsenel just blasted Blackburn FWIW. Think the final score was 6-1. I was thinking about how mad I would have been as a coach in FM if I had to see that on the scoreboard.

7-1. Henry added one late into stoppage.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:48 AM   #989
BYU 14
Coordinator

I hope the Super Bowl is half as good as the Man U / Chelsea match, what a comeback by Man U, Chelsea just trying to escape with a draw now.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:02 PM   #990
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Another visit to Stamford Bridge, another time when Man Utd get dicked over by the officials. It happens every year.

Cahill should have been sent off for that tackle on Welbeck in the 10th minute and it probably should have been a penalty as well. The whole game would have been very different.

Still, great fightback in the second half. Conceding three is never good but the first and third were somewhat unlucky. Evra got beaten badly by Sturridge but the ball could have bounced anywhere, it just happened to go in off two players. Then Luiz scored off Rio's shoulder. Mata's volley was pretty sick though.

Welbeck keeps impressing me week after week, he could be a star in a season or two.

Last edited by Big Fo : 02-05-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:18 PM   #991
BYU 14
Coordinator

Couple of huge saves by De Gea at the end as well. I know he has been shaky, but he came up big in stoppage time in this one.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:43 PM   #992
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

A comeback by ManU? I'm sorry, but penalty kick goals mean squat to me. Fouls, yes.. but penalty kicks.. weak...
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:23 PM   #993
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
A comeback by ManU? I'm sorry, but penalty kick goals mean squat to me. Fouls, yes.. but penalty kicks.. weak...

Well you do get penalties by creating chances and getting pressure in the box.

You wouldn't say a comeback in Football was weak because a team ran back 2 pick sixes would you? Same concept, you have to take care of the ball and Chelsea didn't do it and conceded the penalties.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:30 PM   #994
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post

You wouldn't say a comeback in Football was weak because a team ran back 2 pick sixes would you? Same concept, you have to take care of the ball and Chelsea didn't do it and conceded the penalties.

Let's be honest...the first PK was a joke. ManU really controlled the flow of play from the 60th on though and it was a blast of a game to watch.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:45 PM   #995
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Geoff Cameron's gotta have his head on a swizzle.

Twellman is terrible. The first of many struggles he will have with the english language on ESPN broadcasts.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:12 PM   #996
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Cahill should have been sent off for that tackle on Welbeck in the 10th minute and it probably should have been a penalty as well. The whole game would have been very different.

The Cahill foul was not a red card as the striker was moving away from the goal.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:52 PM   #997
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post

Ran back 2 pick sixes is not even close to getting 2 free goals for contact in the box. I just don't think that if the player isn't shooting on goal or has a direct line to the keeper and is tripped up, they shouldn't get a penalty kick. Could you imagine if a player in hockey was knocked down in the crease and was awarded a penalty shot every time?

Like most sports, there are some rules in soccer that need to be reviewed and changed.

ManU earned nothing imo and I don't care about either team to be honest. I'm more upset at the calls than anything and I think the penalty kick in soccer is a joke.

The game overall was fun to watch..
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:49 PM   #998
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post
The Cahill foul was not a red card as the striker was moving away from the goal.

He was moving diagonally, forward and to the side. With each step in that direction he wasn't moving any further from the goal, I think he was getting closer to it actually.

de Gea had a really nice save at the end to save a point, hopefully this can be a confidence builder for him.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:00 PM   #999
miami_fan
Coordinator

He gone

"The Football Association can confirm that Fabio Capello has today resigned as England manager. This follows a meeting involving FA chairman David Bernstein, FA general secretary Alex Horne and Fabio Capello at Wembley Stadium. The discussions focused on the FA board's decision to remove the England team captaincy from John Terry, and Fabio Capello's response through an Italian broadcast interview. In a meeting for over an hour, Fabio's resignation was accepted and he will leave the post of England manager with immediate effect."
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:46 PM   #1000
oykib
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
"The Football Association can confirm that Fabio Capello has today resigned as England manager. This follows a meeting involving FA chairman David Bernstein, FA general secretary Alex Horne and Fabio Capello at Wembley Stadium. The discussions focused on the FA board's decision to remove the England team captaincy from John Terry, and Fabio Capello's response through an Italian broadcast interview. In a meeting for over an hour, Fabio's resignation was accepted and he will leave the post of England manager with immediate effect."

I've been having a lot of fun hammering my co-worker about the fact that he's about to lose his manager. He's a Spurs supporter.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote