Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-08-2014, 04:27 PM   #1151
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Whew, it's a good thing we don't all have to live by those rigid standards.

Meanwhile...

Fuck evidence, burn Wilson at the stake.

The point is, he can be guilty of a crime and still not be guilty of something the Civil Rights Division can prosecute.

The standards for a conviction there are that you have to be able to prove not just that he committed a particular act, but that he intended for the action to have the outcome it had, with the specific intent of violating his civil rights.

As for the Justice Department, Jon, they can trump up whatever they want. But here's the thing: why would they? To pacify the protestors? Okay. Let's run with that.

If they don't charge him, the protestors riot. If they charge him but they can't make the charges stick...any guesses what happens? There is no reason for the feds to go after him unless they're sure they can get SOMETHING to stick. Those are the outcomes. Don't file charges, deal with riots. File charges, justified or otherwise, and get a conviction? Pacification achieved. File charges and lose? Spend money prosecuting a loser case AND deal with riots.

There is literally no good reason for them to prosecute Wilson unless either they think the evidence supports the charges, or they have confidence in their ability to railroad him to a jury's satisfaction.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 05:05 PM   #1152
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

You're missing the obvious. The DoJ is out to get whitey, ergo they'll trump up charges against any white guy whenever possible.
Old 11-08-2014, 05:25 PM   #1153
SackAttack
Head Coach

Yeah, I completely forgot all those bankers DoJ railroaded after the bailouts.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:25 PM   #1154
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
But here's the thing: why would they? To pacify the protestors?

With apologies to Ms. Trainor ... You know it's all about that base, about that base.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:17 PM   #1155
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
With apologies to Ms. Trainor ... You know it's all about that base, about that base.

My point is that it only pacifies them if it WORKS. If they don't get the conviction, it's not like "that base" is going to shrug their shoulders and say "they tried."

So if they aren't confident they can make charges stick, what's the point?
Old 11-08-2014, 08:02 PM   #1156
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Yeah, I completely forgot all those bankers DoJ railroaded after the bailouts.

Not the RICH whiteys. Get it straight.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 08:04 PM   #1157
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
My point is that it only pacifies them if it WORKS. If they don't get the conviction, it's not like "that base" is going to shrug their shoulders and say "they tried."

So if they aren't confident they can make charges stick, what's the point?

Depends upon how long you can drag things out.

And I think you're overestimating that base tbh (and it's more than just a single-race base I'm referring to). If the prosecution fails then it's easy to blame whitey/ the man / juries / anything & everything you can fling at the wall.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:44 PM   #1158
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post

I don't know myself. Like many, I grew up with the impression that police were bad-ass and if you made the wrong choices, they'd beat the crap out of you. And we accepted that because we grew up in a culture where these choices were hard to make and our parents didn't feel that they could be singled out if they didn't do anything wrong.

But many African-Americans have a very different perspective because there are quite a few police out there who act in a racist manner. Not all, maybe not all that many. Certainly fewer today than 50 years ago. But enough that the perception is prevalent in many communities. In those communities, often faced with high crime rates, the people who serve and protect simply aren't trusted to do so in a fair manner. This becomes a cycle that makes conditions worse. I don't think we have any idea how much anger is out there because of this cycle. We're seeing this bubble over in Ferguson. I'm not sure this has ever been about Brown and Wilson personally. Either that, or the media has done a really good job creating a narrative.

The policing policies and procedures aren't fair from community to community. The strategies in play in African American communities aren't similar at all to what you get in the white suburbs.

I've never been ticketed for standing on the sidewalk talking to friends. I've never been arrested because I "fit the description." I've never been pulled over time after time because I looked suspicious by driving too nice a car in a white neighborhood.

Strategies that treat everyone like criminals and force them to prove their innocence may help to get petty criminals off the street in poor neighborhoods, but they are heavy handed, violate civil liberties and don't do a damn thing for criminals in predominantly white, more well off neighborhoods.

You can't foster a feeling of serve and protect if you are working against the community. It's not about individual officers acting in a racist manner it's the prescribed manner in which the departments themselves go about the business of law enforcement.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 07:13 AM   #1159
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Passed a convoy of at least 7 Homeland Security SUVs on the way to work this morning. Of course there is plenty of things this could be and I'm not even sure how they would be involved but Friday would seem like a day they would announce an inditement. On the other hand it just be some middle eastern guys door getting kicked in.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 08:07 AM   #1160
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Passed a convoy of at least 7 Homeland Security SUVs on the way to work this morning. Of course there is plenty of things this could be and I'm not even sure how they would be involved but Friday would seem like a day they would announce an inditement. On the other hand it just be some middle eastern guys door getting kicked in.

Hiding the ebola dead?
Old 11-14-2014, 08:17 AM   #1161
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

This may have been pointed out before but I just realized that peaceful protesters - the peaceful ones, not the jackasses - have spent more time in jail than the cop that straight up murdered a dude.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 08:21 AM   #1162
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
The policing policies and procedures aren't fair from community to community. The strategies in play in African American communities aren't similar at all to what you get in the white suburbs.

I've never been ticketed for standing on the sidewalk talking to friends. I've never been arrested because I "fit the description." I've never been pulled over time after time because I looked suspicious by driving too nice a car in a white neighborhood.

Strategies that treat everyone like criminals and force them to prove their innocence may help to get petty criminals off the street in poor neighborhoods, but they are heavy handed, violate civil liberties and don't do a damn thing for criminals in predominantly white, more well off neighborhoods.

You can't foster a feeling of serve and protect if you are working against the community. It's not about individual officers acting in a racist manner it's the prescribed manner in which the departments themselves go about the business of law enforcement.

+1
Old 11-14-2014, 08:42 AM   #1163
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

It's November in Ferguson, and they've already started twice-a-day practices. I'm sure there's a union grievance to be filed here somewhere.

Organizers have a non-violent vision, hold training for potential Ferguson protesters : News
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 08:53 AM   #1164
RainMaker
General Manager

They should wait till it gets colder. Take a cue from the Occupy protesters. Once the temperature drops, everyone goes home.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:20 AM   #1165
Thomkal
Head Coach

Anonymous goes after KKK after they announce they are going after Ferguson protestors with lethal force and downplaying any attempt by Anonymous to take over their twitter feed:

Anonymous seizes Ku Klux Klan Twitter account over Ferguson threats | ZDNet
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 02:20 PM   #1166
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Unbelievable.

#Ferguson Protest Group Releases List of Targets, Including: Anheuser Busch, Boeing, Emerson Electric, Airport | The Gateway Pundit
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 03:43 PM   #1167
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Anonymous goes after KKK after they announce they are going after Ferguson protestors with lethal force and downplaying any attempt by Anonymous to take over their twitter feed:

Anonymous seizes Ku Klux Klan Twitter account over Ferguson threats | ZDNet

I wonder if Twitter will take steps to beef up security,

assuming this wasn't entirely social engineering.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:48 PM   #1168
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Eh, believable.

It was like the protesting at the Ram's game. Many of the protesters are determined to disrupt other peoples' lives until action is taken to fix their grievances. Plus with any protest groups you're going to people who want to give shout outs to their own causes.

I wonder how many of them actually voted this election.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:57 PM   #1169
tarcone
Coordinator

This is the inside info I got. The announcement is going to come on the Sunday after Thanksgiving. The city of Clayton will be shut down the week following the announcement. Firefighters in the area have been issued flak jackets.

Old 11-17-2014, 03:59 PM   #1170
Buccaneer
Head Coach

The busiest airport travel day of the year?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:45 PM   #1171
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
This is the inside info I got. The announcement is going to come on the Sunday after Thanksgiving. The city of Clayton will be shut down the week following the announcement. Firefighters in the area have been issued flak jackets.

Clayton? Why? So what happens to people who have court cases pending? Seems unlikely.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:49 PM   #1172
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Well the Misery...er Missouri governor has declared a state of emergency so that probably means we'll be hearing from the grand jury fairly soon.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:18 PM   #1173
RainMaker
General Manager

These are the same people who will complain there are no jobs and no businesses in their community.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 09:06 PM   #1174
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Unbelievable that you'd trust a guy that's been proven to have lied about other "facts" regarding this case. Hoft is about the least trustworthy guy available.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:09 PM   #1175
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Clayton? Why?

Presumably this snippet from AP today explains that

Quote:
Several dozen demonstrators took to the streets on Monday in Clayton, Missouri, where a grand jury is meeting.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:10 PM   #1176
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

The list looks like a cross of all the major tourist attractions, businesses, and politicians in the city.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 09:15 PM   #1177
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
The list looks like a cross of all the major tourist attractions, businesses, and politicians in the city.

SI

The map looks like some sort of filters have been applied. It's just a Google map.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:11 PM   #1178
cuervo72
Head Coach

Sad.

12-year-old killed in officer-involved shooting at Cleveland rec - 19 Action News|Cleveland, OH|News, Weather, Sports
Old 11-24-2014, 02:32 PM   #1179
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Well the Grand Jury has reached a verdict, result to be announced later today.

Grand jury reaches decision in case of Ferguson officer
Old 11-24-2014, 02:56 PM   #1180
nol
Banned

Police: Woman allegedly kills herself with gun bought to prepare for Ferguson unrest
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 02:58 PM   #1181
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

How ironic!
Old 11-24-2014, 03:09 PM   #1182
bhlloy
Coordinator

That's either a Darwin award winner or one hell of a brilliant cover up for murder
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 03:47 PM   #1183
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Well the Grand Jury has reached a verdict, result to be announced later today.

Grand jury reaches decision in case of Ferguson officer
Smart move to wait until it's nearly dark to announce it.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:54 PM   #1184
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Probably should have waited until a snow or ice storm.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:56 PM   #1185
tarcone
Coordinator

Tonight. I think they wanted everyone at home. Lots of schools have canceled evening activities.

Old 11-24-2014, 04:06 PM   #1186
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

What we need is one of those government-type conspiracies out of Hollywood. Someone to play the role of Wilson, a fake trial, the whole nine yards. Too many moving parts, of course. But Wilson has become a symbol for decades of frustration and anger toward law enforcement. Whether Michael Brown attacked him and went for his gun has become completely irrelevant.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 04:17 PM   #1187
tarcone
Coordinator

Wag the Dog.

Old 11-24-2014, 04:22 PM   #1188
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I have to think this points toward either an indictment of some sort OR one of the most poorly conceived timing plans ever.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:33 PM   #1189
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Or a mixed message verdict.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:17 PM   #1190
tarcone
Coordinator

8 pm CST is when it goes down.

Old 11-24-2014, 06:55 PM   #1191
tarcone
Coordinator

And the news is reporting on the news crews. Oh boy. I think my local Fox affiliate is not going to shopw Gotham tonight.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:18 PM   #1192
BillJasper
Pro Starter

I don't understand why you'd release it after dark? Wouldn't it be easier to control the crowds in the daylight when you can see?
Old 11-24-2014, 07:33 PM   #1193
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
I don't understand why you'd release it after dark? Wouldn't it be easier to control the crowds in the daylight when you can see?

In he gets off they are gonna riot no matter what time of day. At least at night most innocent people will be off the street and not at work, doing errands, kids in school, etc
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 07:57 PM   #1194
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
In he gets off they are gonna riot no matter what time of day. At least at night most innocent people will be off the street and not at work, doing errands, kids in school, etc

I guess I can see that.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:08 PM   #1195
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

ugh, just saw a guy in the crowd holding a 4-5 year old kid. What a moron.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:15 PM   #1196
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
USA Today is claiming they've been told by the Brown family attorney that no charges will be filed.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 08:16 PM   #1197
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

here we go
Old 11-24-2014, 08:19 PM   #1198
Easy Mac

So are going to get to watch a riot live?
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 08:19 PM   #1199
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post

Is West Virginia playing tonight?

Old 11-24-2014, 08:19 PM   #1200
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post

Pretty sure that's the hope of the networks.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote